Duquette not a big Markakis fan?

Going Underground

Clearly there's a hidden message in here...

My bet... He's trading Adam Jones and moving Markakis to center where his numbers will play better. :D

No joke- that actually IS the first thing I thought (at least thought it might be in play). I'm not saying it's a bad idea, either.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My problem is this is that you are assuming he will turn it around and be the ballplayer from 2-3 years ago. Unfortunately, with the new GG (finally IMO) his value may be as high as it will get right now.

And for others that complain about other places we need to fix.. you are right but you have to give to receive. Maybe Nick is in a package that brings back some real help where we need it instead of some old guy which comes to Baltimore as a last resort.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said... sometimes you just can't *****foot around and a decade and a half of being a laughingstock may be it.

I don't think he will be a guy that pushes a 900 OPS on any kind of a consistent basis.

However, I do think somewhere in the 820-840 range is possible and with his improved LD% last year(which was NOT accompanied by his normal BABIP), there are signs that a big uptick in production is possible.

He needs to get stronger, no doubt about that though.

He also has gone outside the zone more...I really feel Nick has some issue about striking out..he needs to get away from that.

His best years are when he struck out the most. He would take close pitches, not swing at them and turn them into outs.

Personally, I think DD saying that Nick needs to hit more homeruns is just a shorthand way of saying he needs to improve his overall offensive performance over last year where he was down in every aspect of his offensive game. I doubt DD cares if Nick hits 15 or 20 homeruns as long as he's getting on base at a stronger clip and hitting tons of doubles.

I think Duqette understands it all about the pitching. Just listen to the WEEI interview. He mentions Nick as one of the better players on the O's but says they have very few. Also says big problem with O's ,you draft in top 10 in last 11 years and hit on one player. Pitching program is needed. He even mentions MASN and that it generates revenue. He seems very honest and did we really get better under prior GM. Ortiz is also a luxury on a team that has alot of bigger problems.

http://audio.weei.com/a/48664561/dan-duquette-talks-about-his-new-role-as-gm-of-the-orioles-and-looks-back-on-his-time-in-boston.htm

I loved this quote: "It's a question of affordability and value." in reference to signing someone such as Big Poppy. So Trea, that is the dagger for your offseason man, and according to you, your fandom. There are too many holes on this team to spend a majority of the pot on 1 or 2 big ticket players.

I loved this quote: "It's a question of affordability and value." in reference to signing someone such as Big Poppy.

As relates to the thread topic, this quote also could be taken as an indication that Duquette could seek to move Markakis, who is the most expensive player on the team.

If Duq was moving Markakis he wouldn't be saying things like 15 HR doesn't cut it from a RF. I wonder why Hardy hiits more HR than Nick. He doesn't look any stronger to me. I think it's approach. Hardy doesn't get on base as much, or hits for as much of an average. If Nick wanted to hit more HR he would have to take this approach as well IMO. I'm not so sure that's a good idea.

Agreed!
Markakis should concentrate on hitting for a higher average,the home runs will come,he should be a .310 hitter instead of a 290 hitter.His problem is his salary and the fact that it will be increasing alarmly in the the next several yearrs,if i was the GM,i would definity move him if i could.

I don't think he will be a guy that pushes a 900 OPS on any kind of a consistent basis.

However, I do think somewhere in the 820-840 range is possible and with his improved LD% last year(which was NOT accompanied by his normal BABIP), there are signs that a big uptick in production is possible.

He needs to get stronger, no doubt about that though.

He also has gone outside the zone more...I really feel Nick has some issue about striking out..he needs to get away from that.

His best years are when he struck out the most. He would take close pitches, not swing at them and turn them into outs.

We know he's a big hunter and likes to disappear for most of the offseason. But does he do any offseason workouts? Is he just sitting in a treestand all winter?

He should definitely beef up some.

These comments strike me as more of a shot across Markakis' bow than anything else. Duquette didn't exactly enhance Nick's trade value for this year. I think it's safe to conclude that Markakis has been put on notice that it's time to show an off season commitment commensurate with his salary, especially given what a large percentage of the payroll it represents. I think he's safe for the 2012 season.

I think it's easy to read too much into the "affordability and value" comment, but it certainly applies if you want to interpret it that way. Markakis' underperformance and BRob's non-performance chewed up 25% of the payroll last year. That has to be bugging DD, as it should.

Ask new Orioles GM Dan Duquette about his team and he will tell you he really likes catcher Matt Wieters, shortstop J.J. Hardy and center fielder Adam Jones.

But what about Nick Markakis, his owner's fave and the team's highest-paid player?

Nick Markakis hasn't hit 20 home runs since 2008. (AP Photo)"I like Markakis," Duquette says. "He's a very popular player with our fans."

If that doesn't sound like an overwhelming endorsement, there's a reason. It isn't. Duquette has a problem with his new right fielder.

"How many home runs did he hit last year," Duquette asks.

Try 15.

"Is that what you want from a corner outfielder," Duquette says.

Probably not, especially playing in that ballpark.

"Exactly," Duquette says.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-11-17/os-gm-duquette-wants-more-power-from-markakis

Well yeah - how many of us as fans have been wanting more from Markakis for years now?

I like Kakes, I really do. I think he's a great player to have on the team - but he's capable of doing more, and maybe we can get a MOO to help better protect him and Jones, then perhaps his numbers will go up.

But the amount of money he's being paid - who wanted to sign him to such a contract? MacPhail or Angelos?

Archived