Matt Antonelli

bnw7870

If I remember correctly he had quite a few injury issues that season. I was advocating trading Roberts to SD for a package including him back in 2007.

I like Antonelli, it's a good no-risk signing, maybe we hit, maybe we don't but it's better than spending $70-100m to find out.

You think he was injured in 2008 as well? Looks like he played a full season and was called up in September. Seems unlikley if he was injured.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I remember correctly he had quite a few injury issues that season. I was advocating trading Roberts to SD for a package including him back in 2007.

I like Antonelli, it's a good no-risk signing, maybe we hit, maybe we don't but it's better than spending $70-100m to find out.

Antonelli was a guy that many people threw out there.

He was one of those guys where most felt no way SD trades for him and now, we get him for free. Funny how things work out like that.

You think he was injured in 2008 as well? Looks like he played a full season and was called up in September. Seems unlikley if he was injured.

I think they were little nagging injuries. Could be wrong, but I THINK I remember something along those lines. I remember following him for a while and he was dealing with some little nagging things.

I think they were little nagging injuries. Could be wrong, but I THINK I remember something along those lines. I remember following him for a while and he was dealing with some little nagging things.

Could be I guess. Looks like they moved him through AA pretty quickly. I do recall him being discussed as a hot prospect for awhile. Such is the life of a lot of hot prospects I guess.

I wonder if this is the guy they were so intent on signing... I don't remember the exact words, but I read on here somewhere about a minor league FA that they really wanted.

Makes more sense than the nearly 30 year old pitcher turned positon player I saw. He's a good sign. Would love to see him emerge as a good player for us.

A no-risk signing. Looks like he has a good bat, but those saying he is "good" defensively better look at that .966 Fld% at 2B last year.

I have no idea if he has a good glove or not but I am not going to use his fielding percentage from one season in the minors as evidence to support the position I don't have.

I have no idea if he has a good glove or not but I am not going to use his fielding percentage from one season in the minors as evidence to support the position I don't have.

Aside from not weighting FP% significantly (especially minor league FP%), his career at second is .975 and he made 4 errors last year.

Not a bad signing. I like it for the simple fact that he almost has all the letters in his last name to match "Altobelli", our manager when we last won it all in '83. Combine this with the return of the cartoon bird, I think we're on to something...

Antonelli was a guy that many people threw out there.

He was one of those guys where most felt no way SD trades for him and now, we get him for free. Funny how things work out like that.

It really is nuts how many players we coveted on here are now MiL free agents available for basically nothing. Kind of a very object lesson on the volatility of prospects.

Great pickup BTW, perfect position, good pedigree, great skillset. Now he just has to hit. :)

Archived