Matt Antonelli

bnw7870

Antonelli has updated his website to announce he has signed with the Orioles, and also that he got engaged. Took a nice little dig at NYC, too:

In non-baseball related news, I spent this weekend in New York City. I came to realize that I wouldn't last long in NYC. Don't get me wrong, the city is exciting, beautiful, and full of things to do, but I just don't think I could live there permanently. A few days is fine, but any longer and I couldn't handle it. The place is a natural stress inducer. People drive like complete morons, and that's coming from someone that has lived his entire life in Boston. If I heard one more taxi beep obnoxiously at me or cut me off I was going to lose it. Also, the price of everything is astronomical. On our second night there we decided to try a small Italian restaurant. It wasn't bad, but nothing to write home about. My Chicken Parmesan cost $40.00! I've eaten at about a thousand different Italian restaurants all over the country and I don't think I've ever spent much more than $20.00 for Chicken Parm. Laura ordered a simple salad that ended up costing $30.00. How do they sleep at night?!?! Speaking of sleeping at night, it cost me $7.00 for the toll to enter Manhattan! Apparently that's how they pay for their starting pitching.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a piece on the Antonelli deal from Fangraphs today: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/antonellis-big-deal/

The Major League contract is a little odd, just because you don’t normally see players with three straight years of injury trouble and zero big league track record land such deals. For what it’s worth, Antonelli did say on his blog that a dozen or so teams had been in contact with him earlier this month, so perhaps it’s the guaranteed 40-man roster spot that put Baltimore over the top. The O’s are woefully thin on the infield thanks to Brian Roberts‘ continued injury problems, with Ryan Adams and Robert Andino projected to start at second and third, so they did add some much needed depth.

Dan Duquette’s first real move at the helm of the Orioles was a little interesting, not because of the player but because of the contract terms. That’s not to say it was a bad move, just a curious one. Antonelli is exactly the kind of player a non-contender should take a flier on, a middle infielder with a knack for working the count and putting the ball in play. It doesn’t take much for a guy with that skill set to be worth two wins, but Antonelli’s got a lot to prove first. The O’s clearly think he’s worth the risk given the investment they’ve already made in him.

• 3 weeks later...
In non-baseball related news, I spent this weekend in New York City. I came to realize that I wouldn't last long in NYC. Don't get me wrong, the city is exciting, beautiful, and full of things to do, but I just don't think I could live there permanently. A few days is fine, but any longer and I couldn't handle it. The place is a natural stress inducer. People drive like complete morons, and that's coming from someone that has lived his entire life in Boston. If I heard one more taxi beep obnoxiously at me or cut me off I was going to lose it. Also, the price of everything is astronomical. On our second night there we decided to try a small Italian restaurant. It wasn't bad, but nothing to write home about. My Chicken Parmesan cost $40.00! I've eaten at about a thousand different Italian restaurants all over the country and I don't think I've ever spent much more than $20.00 for Chicken Parm. Laura ordered a simple salad that ended up costing $30.00. How do they sleep at night?!?! Speaking of sleeping at night, it cost me $7.00 for the toll to enter Manhattan! Apparently that's how they pay for their starting pitching.

I've lived many years in NY (not currently, although I'd be happy to return if the right job opens up) and I'm sure I've never been to a restaurant that had a $40 chicken parmesan or $30 salad on the menu. Maybe those are the prices for room service in a 5-star hotel, but he makes it sound like it was a regular restaurant. I hope he gets better guidance next time. :rolleyes: As long as he plays well, I guess it doesn't matter how easy he is to fool at the (dinner) plate.

I've lived many years in NY (not currently, although I'd be happy to return if the right job opens up) and I'm sure I've never been to a restaurant that had a $40 chicken parmesan or $30 salad on the menu. Maybe those are the prices for room service in a 5-star hotel, but he makes it sound like it was a regular restaurant. I hope he gets better guidance next time. :rolleyes: As long as he plays well, I guess it doesn't matter how easy he is to fool at the (dinner) plate.

I've been to plenty of places with prices that were pretty crazy in NY. I went to Carnegie Deli with my wife and son, ordered one corned beef sandwich, one bowl of matzo ball soup, one hamburger, one greek salad and two sodas. With tip, the bill came to $75!

Becco

Becco was opened in the theater district by Lidia Bastianich and her son, Joseph, and is best known for its prix-fixe meals. As of August 2010, prix-fixe Sinfonia de Paste runs about $23 and includes a Caesar salad or antipasto as well as unlimited servings of three pasta dishes that rotate daily. The restaurant also has extensive a la carte and dessert menus and both a $25 wine list and reserved selection of wines. Becco caters to a pre- and post-theater crowd between 5 p.m. and midnight.

Becco

355 W. 46th St.

New York, NY 10036-3810

212-397-7597

becco-nyc.com

This guy has "fan favorite" written all over him. All he has to do is hit. Or slide spikes first into a Yankee.

He was a couple of years behind me at Wake Forest, but I never heard bad things. Still...I'm not going to care one bit about how funny he is or isn't if he winds up being a non-factor on the ML roster next season. And he's done little up to this point in his career to make me think he'll be otherwise in the majors.

I've been to plenty of places with prices that were pretty crazy in NY. I went to Carnegie Deli with my wife and son, ordered one corned beef sandwich, one bowl of matzo ball soup, one hamburger, one greek salad and two sodas. With tip, the bill came to $75!

Going by the Carnegie Deli's current menu that would price out to:

Corned beef sandwich $15.95

Carnegie Hamburger $10.95

Matzo ball soup $8.95

Zorba the Greek salad $14.95

Two sodas $5 (estimated)

Looks like you gave a generous 50% tip!

No one wd claim that NYC is an inexpensive city, but avoid the tourist trips and the daily cost of living is not exorbitant. The high rents in NY are what kills everyone's budget.

Archived