Why I Hate The BCS Even More Tonight

BaltimoreTerp

I don't understand why people don't see how exciting it would be with ten or more teams on the bubble through the last half of the season. Michigan playing Ohio St for their playoff life. Baylor needing to beat TTech and Texas to stay in. Auburn needing to win in the iron bowl or their out. I don't understand the position that people have that a true playoff is bad, in any way. The top teams would still be fighting to win every game if you reseeded after the first and second round.

Exactly. I don't get it either. It's a 12/13 game season not a 30+ game season like basketball. That being said it works fantastically for basketball...I don't get why people think it won't work for football.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because the "purists" (cough, SEC/USC/Big Ten) fans are too afraid of being beat by a better team they wouldn't have other wise played. They'd rather their fate be left to the equally "pure" (biased) pre-season voters who have as much to say as anyone about who ends up playing in the big game to end the year.

The BCS and College Football are one of the biggest shams ever.

Yet Boise is the team that turned down a series with Nebraska.

Ummm, maybe b/c they want to play for a NC, and be taken more seriously. Seems pretty obvious right?

But this is not a true statement. If they had both UGA and NU on the schedule and where undefeated today they would be around 5 and would not get into the title game and would have lost money to still be left outside looking in.

I find it incredible that the absolute best football conference thinks they would not show that they are the best in a playoff. No one is beating LSU or bama this year and I think in most seasons the SEC would be represented in the title game following a 24 team playoff. But here is the problem it is really about getting the largest share of the postseason money. Unfortunately they are missing that the smaller percentage of the much larger pie would be bigger than what they get now. But then some of the Boise St type teams would be getting it also.

But this is not a true statement. If they had both UGA and NU on the schedule and where undefeated today they would be around 5 and would not get into the title game and would have lost money to still be left outside looking in.

I find it incredible that the absolute best football conference thinks they would not show that they are the best in a playoff. No one is beating LSU or bama this year and I think in most seasons the SEC would be represented in the title game following a 24 team playoff. But here is the problem it is really about getting the largest share of the postseason money. Unfortunately they are missing that the smaller percentage of the much larger pie would be bigger than what they get now. But then some of the Boise St type teams would be getting it also.

Tons of unfounded assumptions here.

The point is they could, and should, play both if they wanted to be taken seriously.

If BSU isn't taken seriously by now, they never will. They've been good for a long time and won big time bowl games. This sounds like an argument from 5 years ago.

And they got a home and home with UGA so they took it. They didn't turn it down so that they could pack their schedule with scrubs. Why is this even an issue?

They didn't get a home and home with UGA. They got one neutral site game at the Georgia Dome. Granted, it wasn't that neutral, but it certainly wasn't a home and home.

Ok but why did they do that? Because Nebraska didn't want to pay them enough to come play in Nebraska.

Or because they wanted more than it was worth for Nebraska to play them. They are the team that needs to play the big boys so they are the ones that need to lower their demands, not the other way around.

Archived