Why I Hate The BCS Even More Tonight

BaltimoreTerp

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its a shame USC has the sanctions because they may be the second best team in the country.

I would like to see them go up against LSU.

With as well as Barkley has played of late, that would be a fascinating match up.

That said, even if they didn't have the sanctions, they unfortunately wouldn't have seen a BCS Bowl or the NC game. That loss to Arizona State in wee 4 crushed any hopes of that. The other thing is that I don't think the PAC 12 gets 3 into BCS bowls. With Oregon and Stanford ranked higher (and Oregon winning the automatic bid with a win vs. UCLA on Friday), that puts USC outside of BCS contention.

It's a stupid system for a program to be penalized when the culprits are in the NFL now, and the current students and staff had nothing to do with it. Not that Kiffin is a saint or anything.

With as well as Barkley has played of late, that would be a fascinating match up.

That said, even if they didn't have the sanctions, they unfortunately wouldn't have seen a BCS Bowl or the NC game. That loss to Arizona State in wee 4 crushed any hopes of that. The other thing is that I don't think the PAC 12 gets 3 into BCS bowls. With Oregon and Stanford ranked higher (and Oregon winning the automatic bid with a win vs. UCLA on Friday), that puts USC outside of BCS contention.

It's a stupid system for a program to be penalized when the culprits are in the NFL now, and the current students and staff had nothing to do with it. Not that Kiffin is a saint or anything.

I haven't been following the Pac-12 closely, but didn't I see that USC would be in the conference championship game were it not for their sanctions?

I haven't been following the Pac-12 closely, but didn't I see that USC would be in the conference championship game were it not for their sanctions?

Good point. Forgot about that little detail. Still, if they lost to Oregon in the Pac-12 Championship, it would be Oregon & Stanford getting the BCS bids, IMHO.

To be fair, responses like this are why there are so many "SEC haters".

That and comments like "Auburn should have played in the BCS game because they play in the SEC and therefore played a tougher schedule than USC and Oklahoma". Never mind that the numbers say otherwise.

Its a shame USC has the sanctions because they may be the second best team in the country.

They may be the second best team right now, although I doubt it, but there's no way they'd play for a title with 2 losses anyway.

They may be the second best team right now, although I doubt it, but there's no way they'd play for a title with 2 losses anyway.

Yea I agree with that...But I think if there was a playoff, that there is a good chance that USC makes it into the final 4 and would be capable of beating anyone.

The irony is that if USC had self-imposed a bowl ban back in 2009, when it was obvious they were going to get hit with sanctions, perhaps they would be eligible to play for the Pac-12 Title this year and go to a bowl. BTW, that 2009 season ended with them going 8-4 and getting an invite too.....(drumroll)....the Emerald Bowl. Hope Pete Carroll sleeps well at night when he sees what he left behind.

Personally, I'm hoping for an LSU/Ok. State match-up. On one hand, I think Alabama is the best team in the country (LSU didn't beat them, they beat themselves). On the other hand, LSU shouldn't have to beat the same team twice in order to win the championship. If we're supposed to believe that the regular season and conference play are supposed to be de facto playoff games, then Alabama should have been eliminated with their loss to LSU.

That and comments like "Auburn should have played in the BCS game because they play in the SEC and therefore played a tougher schedule than USC and Oklahoma". Never mind that the numbers say otherwise.

Typical crap from you. I never said that. I said that they were the better team. I said that they played a tougher schedule. Your offer of what the numbers said is something from Jeff Sagarin that said that Oregon State was the 15th best team in the country with a 7-5 record.

They might be the 3rd best team. I just don't see how anyone could rate another team over LSU and Alabama. I'd probably put OK St. over USC too. They'd certainly be a tough out in a playoff.

Typical crap from you. I never said that. I said that they were the better team. I said that they played a tougher schedule. Your offer of what the numbers said is something from Jeff Sagarin that said that Oregon State was the 15th best team in the country with a 7-5 record.
They were a better team. They went unbeaten in the SEC. They played better teams.

If my response to that biased nonsense was a typical post from me, then good, because it was right on, and you ran away from the conversation afterwards.

Archived