Sports Guy

Ok with Klein for Teagarden?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Ok with Klein for Teagarden?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were already on the same side of the fence. We should be accumulating young talent so obsessively at all levels of the minor leagues that we're featured on "Hoarders". Luckily we eliminated Bluefield. Trading our #22 prospect and a MiL PTBNL for a backup catcher was ridiculous. Moving 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

Even if he doesn't stick as a starter, or heal up completely, the odds are still respectable that Dan Klein can be a major league relief pitcher, and perhaps a real good one. Before yesterday, who outside of the knowledgeable scouts and farm systems guys knew who Randy Henry even was? I know I didn't, and come five years from now, I probably still won't, and I wasn't that enamored with the deal that we made in the first place.

Of course, the point you're trying to make is laughably transparent, but it fails to take into account something very important:

Even as a RP, Klein is a far better prospect than Henry.

I prefer Klein and I do agree he is a better relief prospect.

However, for what we have read by some, he is not a true closer prospect...I disagree with that but some feel that way.

So, as of right now, he is slated for a role similar to what Henry(and I am not even talking about the other player yet) is...Middle relief/set up.

Klein is coming off of a major injury....One of the reasons people were ok with the TT trade is because Henry has had injury issues in the past.

On top of all of this, one thing people will do is just look at rankings in the system.

Well, one of the reasons Tony has rated Klein so high is because he feels he will be given a chance to start and because of the upside of him as a starter, Tony has him rated higher.

If Klein was a reliever only, my guess is he is further down his list and if Henry had not injury issues, my guess is he would be a little higher on the list.

Also, Klein was higher up in the system, so that helps with the rankings as well.

However, if you take 2 mr/set up guys and both have injury issues and both are performing very well, does it really matter where they are ranked, provided they have the proper peripherals, stuff and at the right age for their league?

In other words, if Henry is healthy this year and performs as he has and gets to AA and continues to perform well, my guess is Tony has him in the area next year where Klein would be now if he was looked at as a reliever only.

I prefer Klein and I do agree he is a better relief prospect.

However, for what we have read by some, he is not a true closer prospect...I disagree with that but some feel that way.

So, as of right now, he is slated for a role similar to what Henry(and I am not even talking about the other player yet) is...Middle relief/set up.

Klein is coming off of a major injury....One of the reasons people were ok with the TT trade is because Henry has had injury issues in the past.

On top of all of this, one thing people will do is just look at rankings in the system.

Well, one of the reasons Tony has rated Klein so high is because he feels he will be given a chance to start and because of the upside of him as a starter, Tony has him rated higher.

If Klein was a reliever only, my guess is he is further down his list and if Henry had not injury issues, my guess is he would be a little higher on the list.

Also, Klein was higher up in the system, so that helps with the rankings as well.

However, if you take 2 mr/set up guys and both have injury issues and both are performing very well, does it really matter where they are ranked, provided they have the proper peripherals, stuff and at the right age for their league?

In other words, if Henry is healthy this year and performs as he has and gets to AA and continues to perform well, my guess is Tony has him in the area next year where Klein would be now if he was looked at as a reliever only.

I respect your opinion on this trade; I think you're overreacting to it, but I understand your concerns. To me, it isn't a real big deal either way.

I do think here though, you're really stretching what is legitimate about your opinion to cheveril proportions.

Henry really doesn't even belong in the same breath as Klein, even as a RP prospect. Look at the numbers; look at the pace through which they've advanced through the system; look at how far they are from the bigs. If Klein was healthy this would be an utterly absurd comparison. Unfortunately, he isn't, but neither is Henry a picture of sound health, so that doesn't equalize their prospect status all that much.

You have a legit point; I don't think it is particularly strong but I agree it is legitimate. Don't discredit by equivocating like this.

As someone who believes relievers are pretty fungible I would be okay in theory with that deal. Where I have reservations is that we don't know Klein won't be a starter and Klein has more percieved, if not actual, value than Henry. I am all for using relievers as trade assets as long as the value in return is sufficient. For example i had no problem with the Reynolds trade and if the Orioles were to use Klein to get a guy like that I would think that is more than okay, if indeed Klein could not be a starter.

I also value teagarden more than those saying he is tantamount to a waiver wire catcher. People say that these guys are a dime a dozen and then are disappointed with the returns you get from a guy like Tatum. The fact is teagarden is younger and much better defensively than most of those ww catchers. Add to that the fact that he has POP as well and you have a player who fits a profile for which there are not a ton of other similarly situated players.

But we can't make this assessment until this year and we see how healthy Klein really is. You can't say if I take away the thing that makes a guy the reason we drafted him in the 3rd round, would you be OK trading him for a backup catcher. When put that way, I think the answer is probably yeah, sure. If the thing that makes the guy high upside goes away, and I really feel like I need that position, then I'm not giving up something that turn out to be a huge asset on my team.

I guess here's a question, when was the last time the Orioles drafted a reliever in the 3rd-7th round range that we projected as a reliever long term that turned out to be a contributor in our bullpen.

It's a Bascom type guy. Except when we had Bascom initially he did have starter upside. Zagone in the 6th round. He's not showing us much. How many guys have other teams drafted in this range that were drafted just to be bullpen guys that became successful. If this is something there is a trend to show Henry was going to translate to have some success, I guess I"ll be more upset. For the moment, I haven't done the research either way I'm on the fence.

Every year we can add more guys like Klein/Schrader/Wright/Simon/Taylor/Jones/Wilson in any given year. A 21 year old relief prospect that can't start isn't such a valuable commodity that we can't go out and find a closer to MLB ready guy in the same or later rounds for next year. I mean look at our top 20 list, Wright/Simon are already ahead of Henry. If we add two more guys like that in next year's draft, is that really all that valuable of a commodity?

I do get your point, we need talent and more of it rather than less of it. I don't love this trade but frankly I don't hate it. What I do wish is that we drafted a guy in the 4th spot of that year that had starter upside and looked more like Klein does on our prospect list going into the year rather than Henry.

I'm not sure how many posters may have my view of things:

**** I am going to trust that the new management has a better feel/understanding/grasp/insight/plan of the organization and therefore I will default to their judgement until they show me they are not worthy of it. Many moves are part of a grander plan that you have to wait to see it unfold before you can judge the outcome. Not to mention the looking back 2-3 years from now to see how this specific deal worked out.

I think your (SG) view is the opposite. You assume the patients are still running the asylum until you see clear cut evidence this is not the case.

And I hope we don't do the usual and start judging the offseason in December. Let things play out and lets see where we are in April.

Archived