I haven't studied up on Fielder's defense but I do remember reading he's worked his way into being a decent first baseman. I don't think anyone is going to call him a butcher.

Looking at his aggregate defensive ratings he's about a -10 fielder per year, just on the teetering point where he could slip a few more runs and be worth more as a DH. I don't know how you define butcher, and maybe he's a fine, nimble first baseman for someone of his impressive bulk, but he's certainly not a good fielder.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget the Boras quote.........we're looking for the shortest distance from home plate to the outfield fences and that's OP and the short RF. Maybe SB talks the Orioles and DD into a package deal of Fielder, Beltran and Damon who will alter our lineup and provide more offense that is needed in spite of what some say on here. Fielder and Damon are both lefthanded and Beltran is a switch hitter. All three will benefit from the distance to the fence. Luke Scott does not fit in this scenario. DD will then be able to trade some fan favorites to obtain the needed pitching. Don't forget there were a lot of teams talking to each other in Dallas and only the Marlins, Angels and Rockies really accomplished very much. Look for a lot of things to happen in the next week to ten days. Ticket renewals are coming up in ten days and DD has said he knows they have to do some things to sell tickets and improve the team.

Don't forget the Boras quote.........we're looking for the shortest distance from home plate to the outfield fences and that's OP and the short RF. Maybe SB talks the Orioles and DD into a package deal of Fielder, Beltran and Damon who will alter our lineup and provide more offense that is needed in spite of what some say on here. Fielder and Damon are both lefthanded and Beltran is a switch hitter. All three will benefit from the distance to the fence. Luke Scott does not fit in this scenario. DD will then be able to trade some fan favorites to obtain the needed pitching. Don't forget there were a lot of teams talking to each other in Dallas and only the Marlins, Angels and Rockies really accomplished very much. Look for a lot of things to happen in the next week to ten days. Ticket renewals are coming up in ten days and DD has said he knows they have to do some things to sell tickets and improve the team.

I think the O's have talked to Boras about alll three players but all three in a package deal seems a little far fetched. The O's talked alot to the White Sox,Cubs and Mets so they must have talked about something. I think we will see a deal soon and perhaps if the player is a little better then Eveland,we can have a 99 page discussion. I really don't think that DD wanted this to be the big acquistion at the meetings but the other deals did not get done.

They'll just post the 2012 schedule with games against the Angels highlighted

Nope, just the premium games so they can make more money with the Yanks,Red Sox and this year the Phillies. I am sure if you don't renew by December 19th,the O's will be happy to take your deposit a little later. The attendance this year might be the third worst in baseball. Thank god,for the Yankee and Red Sox fans.:)

I truly wonder if Roch is "in the know" with what Duquette has in mind. He hints that Jones has value, but doesn't necessarily say that he's "untouchable". I still think he's the guy we need to deal...and deal now.

This article could have been written about Andy MacPhail after most of his Winter Meetings. Last year was an exception to the rule.

This is interesting that this was said. I think perhaps the O's might open up the checkbook a little after getting shot down on trades.

The Orioles will benefit greatly from Duquette's passion for the international market and his intense focus on scouting and player development. Unfortunately, that's not a quick fix. As an executive from outside the organization noted, we're talking about a three-to-five year process.

In the meantime, Duquette wants to hold onto his core group and build around it, but I'm not sure how that's done unless the Orioles spend big. Not necessarily Marlins or Angels big, but more than they're inclined to do.

This is interesting that this was said. I think perhaps the O's might open up the checkbook a little after getting shot down on trades.

The Orioles will benefit greatly from Duquette's passion for the international market and his intense focus on scouting and player development. Unfortunately, that's not a quick fix. As an executive from outside the organization noted, we're talking about a three-to-five year process.

In the meantime, Duquette wants to hold onto his core group and build around it, but I'm not sure how that's done unless the Orioles spend big. Not necessarily Marlins or Angels big, but more than they're inclined to do.

I think this could mean overpaying for a Michael Cuddyer.

So, we have no depth and lack in talent.

Yet he wants to build around our core and as part of that core, we have one player who is a FA in 2 years.

That player can bring us back a lot and as of right now, you have no idea if he wants to extend or, if he does, how much it will take.

Yet, you want to build around that player?

You have no depth and very little talent and he is a FA in 2 years...How in the world do you build around a guy that is leaving in 2 years when you have no talent surrounding him?

Someone please, tell me how that logic makes any sense.

This line hurts.

But its not that true.

Look at Roch's column...He points out how Guthrie could be moved BUT the Orioles need pitching.

Guthrie is a FA after this season. So, that says we are looking at 2012 and 2012 only. Why? This team blows and we have just fallen even further behind yet another AL team.

When are the Orioles going to get that? Every team in the AL has a better chance at contention in the next few years than they do.

You have 2 options....Go out and sign Fielder and make some trades for good vet talent or sell off guys like JOhnson, Jones and Guthrie and bring in 4-6 good prospects, most of which are ML ready, and go from there.

Archived