Dave Cameron: Big Ticket Signings Don't Drive Attendance

SrMeowMeow

Yes, we should respect all opinions, even the ones that are demonstrably false or ludicrously unlikely.

If someone suggests that the best way for the O's to win is to use a field goal-kicking donkey in right field my response will be "that's an interesting solution, you've obviously though this through in meticulous detail, maybe it will work out."

Yeah we should. Save the ridicule and the condescending tone for the front office and the team. Fellow fans have done nothing to deserve poor treatment.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's don't have a FIP of 2.94. They don't have more runs scored than allowed. They don't have a talented rotation, or bullpen. They don't have solid solutions at first, second, third, left, or DH. They're a bad team with some upside to be ok. Confidence and two premium players doesn't make that a 95-win team.

No but they could be a 85-90 win team. And that's a start.

Winning brings people. Period.

The problem is, you have certain people on this forum that actually think short term winning doesn't bring period, i.e. you don't see a drive in attendance until the next season (or even 2 years after they've established win). This is incorrect. Teams like the Reds, Rays, Pirates, etc. have proven that even winning over a 2-3 month stretch after losing season after losing season brings the fans.

The Orioles need to win. We saw the Orioles drive serious ticket sales when they were winning, and then it plummeted towards the end of the season when they fell apart.

Extended winning drives season tickets, short term winning will put more arses in seats. Just win.

If Bmat pitches like he did before last year, Arrieta pitches the way he did before the injury started to bother him last year anf if Britton takes another step forward, then this probably is a 75-78 win team.

But that's the problem...This team is all about those 3 arms.

What a guy like Fielder would do, is give the ML team a little more margin for error and obviously, increases the talent level.

But his signing by itself will not really improve us all that much if the pitching doesn't improve.

Again, this team needs 2 TOR starters, 2 premium level bats and at least one more power, top level arm out of the pen.

You get those 5 players and you can contend.

Of course, that just isn't happening through trades(for established players) or FA signings because PA won't pay the prices needed to get those players.

In a few minutes, the Angels will officially introduce Albert Pujols at Angels stadium in Anaheim.

There is a massive crowd waiting to welcome him to the team. It's going to be covered on MLB TV right now.

They sold 50% more season ticket packages already.

I refuse to believe that signing a major talent doesn't help the team.

In a few minutes, the Angels will officially introduce Albert Pujols at Angels stadium in Anaheim.

There is a massive crowd waiting to welcome him to the team. It's going to be covered on MLB TV right now.

They sold 50% more season ticket packages already.

I refuse to believe that signing a major talent doesn't help the team.

It helps at first...Winning is what helps long term.

Season tickets aren't a contract you get into for several years. Its a year to year thing.

It helps at first...Winning is what helps long term.

Season tickets aren't a contract you get into for several years. Its a year to year thing.

I know. It's just bittersweet to watch how some teams re-tool for success and how others... well... you know.

The show of support by fans of the Angels already goes to prove the point that big signings DO make a difference in perception and fan anticipation. These drive ticket sales.

Jerry Dipoto is on stage now and I can't fault the man for not wanting to come to Baltimore. He has an ownership who is 100% behind his decisions and his plan to keep the Angels as a perennial contender.

We are so far away from that point it's maddening.

Just to be clear, this speculation is based on the "proof" from the fun with WAR thread in which you simply pretend our negative WAR players don't exist?

It's not pretending, it's called some of them have been or will be replaced by better talent. With the depth at 3B now, Josh Bell should be buried in Norfolk, and Brian Matusz will hopefully have to blow everybody away to win a spot on the roster otherwise he'll be ticketed for AAA. Felix Pie is also thankfully gone.

Let's not kid ourselves here.

The Angels are good. They've even won a World Series in this decade. They're usually in the running for the AL West crown.

Pujols is a once in a lifetime player. When it's all said and done, he's probably going to be in the top ten, maybe even top 5 players of all time.

The Orioles are bad. They haven't had a winning record since Bill Clinton was in office. They're usually in the bottom of the AL East.

Fielder is a very good player. He'll have to keep up his production for the next 7-8 years if he wants to be considered for the Hall of Fame. He's probably a top 10 player in baseball right now, but he'll never be viewed as the best player of his generation.

No ones been interested in the Orioles for several years. It's going to take a hell of a lot more than Prince Fielder to sell tickets for this team. Take a winning team, add once in a generation player and they'll probably sell more tickets.

In other words, the Orioles issues run deeper than spending big bucks on a free agent.

Let's not kid ourselves here.

The Angels are good. They've even won a World Series in this decade. They're usually in the running for the AL West crown.

Pujols is a once in a lifetime player. When it's all said and done, he's probably going to be in the top ten, maybe even top 5 players of all time.

The Orioles are bad. They haven't had a winning record since Bill Clinton was in office. They're usually in the bottom of the AL East.

Fielder is a very good player. He'll have to keep up his production for the next 7-8 years if he wants to be considered for the Hall of Fame. He's probably a top 10 player in baseball right now, but he'll never be viewed as the best player of his generation.

No ones been interested in the Orioles for several years. It's going to take a hell of a lot more than Prince Fielder to sell tickets for this team. Take a winning team, add once in a generation player and they'll probably sell more tickets.

In other words, the Orioles issues run deeper than spending big bucks on a free agent.

Spending big bucks on a premium FA is a good start to getting fans' interest back though because it signals you want to win now. And as it's been repeated, winning will sell tickets, as will the hope of winning.

But the infusion of talent on the team leads to excitement and excitement leads to motivation which will help lead to winning.

The Orioles will need to do a lot more than just sign Fielder, but if they do sign him, they are going to have to do more for it not to be a poor investment. It would be a move that would force them to compete where if they just try catching lightning in a bottle and fail, there's no real consequence other than continued attendance dropping.

Spending big bucks on a premium FA is a good start to getting fans' interest back though because it signals you want to win now. And as it's been repeated, winning will sell tickets, as will the hope of winning.

But the infusion of talent on the team leads to excitement and excitement leads to motivation which will help lead to winning.

Sure dude, whatever you say.

Archived