Smells to me like Connolly thinks Reynolds goes...

markdublya

True. A question:

Would any of the stats we have looked at in this debate be different had Reynolds played for Cleveland with the same stats he had with us but ended up with 110 RBI and 90 RS? Would his wRC be any different other than the park factors?

They would be the same. The idea with most advanced stats is to isolate the individual player from all outside context so you can know what the player would provide in a neutral situation. You don't want a stat that tells you that Reynolds is a great hitter (e.g. if he had 110 RBI in a great lineup) because when he comes to Baltimore he'll have the same .780 OPS and you won't get the 110 RBIs you were expecting.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll take Smoak for Reynolds straight up in a heart beat!... Seattle would never do that though.. why give up someone that is cheaper with much more upside and a better glove for a DH with only only two tools (OBP & HR). We need to stop worrying about the lost production from 2012.. this is going to be a lost year anyways! We don't have any of the excitement we had going into 2011 and look how awful we turned out then.

But there's no sense in just dumping him. If he adds a younger Long term solution to the team Great.... Smoak is a pipe dream... Also some here will say move him to save the money ...But unless they are putting it toward signing Fielder or Cepedes forget it...Cause all that will happen is that Angelos will stuff it into the coffeurs never to be seen again.

But there's no sense in just dumping him. If he adds a younger Long term solution to the team Great.... Smoak is a pipe dream... Also some here will say move him to save the money ...But unless they are putting it toward signing Fielder or Cepedes forget it...Cause all that will happen is that Angelos will stuff it into the coffeurs never to be seen again.

Is that where he keeps his coffee liqueurs? :D

sportoftycoons.jpg

Uncle Pete McScrooge Angelos see's it every time he swims in it.....LOL

I'm not sure why anyone wants to trade Reynolds. For years this board has moaned about how we don't have a true masher, someone with 35-40 home run power. We finally get that guy and now everyone wants to trade him?

I understand his defense sucks at third but at first he was quite respectable. Stick him at first until we get a stud first baseman and then stick Reynolds at DH....and you have a capable backup.

Rosterbation drivin me nuts!

I'm not sure why anyone wants to trade Reynolds. For years this board has moaned about how we don't have a true masher, someone with 35-40 home run power. We finally get that guy and now everyone wants to trade him?

I understand his defense sucks at third but at first he was quite respectable. Stick him at first until we get a stud first baseman and then stick Reynolds at DH....and you have a capable backup.

Is it really that unreasonable to debate keeping the value of a player who was below replacement level according to Fangraphs (0.5 WAR per BB-ref) last season?

Is it really that unreasonable to debate keeping the value of a player who was below replacement level according to Fangraphs (0.5 WAR per BB-ref) last season?

You can't tell me that Mark Reynolds and Casey McGehee are the same player. They might have a .3 FWAR but you can't tell me that someone is going to pitch to them the same way.

You can't tell me that Mark Reynolds and Casey McGehee are the same player. They might have a .3 FWAR but you can't tell me that someone is going to pitch to them the same way.

I certainly won't tell you that Mark Reynolds and Casey McGehee are the same player. Nor Reynolds and James McDonald (0.4 fWAR), who, despite having a similar fWAR, is a pitcher.

What I will tell you that Reynolds was very bad last season. And that a ton of home runs and a .320 OBP gives you a pretty mediocre offensive season.

I certainly won't tell you that Mark Reynolds and Casey McGehee are the same player. Nor Reynolds and James McDonald (0.4 fWAR), who, despite having a similar fWAR, is a pitcher.

What I will tell you that Reynolds was very bad last season. And that a ton of home runs and a .320 OBP gives you a pretty mediocre offensive season.

Well, that's my issue with WAR. It tells me that McGehee and Reynolds are worth the same at .3 and that's not the case.

I won't totally agree with his season being totally mediocre. Yes, the on base percentage is troubling but it's not like it's batting average driven. He's got plate patience and a certain amount of discipline. He lead the team in walks and this is a team that has been horrific at drawing walks. I'd imagine if he was on a better team he'd probably be 3rd or 4th in walks, but 75 isn't a number to really sneeze at.

I freely admit that there a lot of holes in his game, but we can do something about the defense by putting him at first. He has had two seasons of a .349 on base percentage and he hasn't reached his peak yet so it's possible that he could get that high again, though I wouldn't bank on it. As long as he matches his OBP from last year, I'm fine with him. It's not great, but it's not Tony Bautista awful.

He brings a dimension to our lineup that we haven't really had since Albert Belle, unless you really want to count Miguel Tejada.

I dunno, I can see your argument. But I'm not so hot to trade our leading home run hitter and leading walk guy. Plus, he's fun to watch and in my book that counts for something.

I Agree with all of this ...except I don't resign Scott and Reynolds is my full-time DH.

Archived