Fielder to O's "just isn't going to happen"

.500_OR_BETTER

I can see that conversation now...

Angelos: "Hey Dan, now that I got rid of MacPhail, I am ready to WIN NOW!"

DD: "That's great Mr. Angelos. I plan to reorganize the..."

Angelos: "yeah, so I was saying. I want you to go out and sign that Tiexiera guy from Mt. St. Joe's."

DD: "Yeah, he's not available sir. He signed with the..."

Angelos: "Oh. Well then, get me Barry Bonds. That guy can really hit the ball."

DD: "Sir, he's retired and was just convicted of..."

Angelos: "Well damn. Okay, I know. Here's a blank check. You get me that Vladamir guy. He's a real slugger for the middle of our lineup."

DD: " You had him last year. He stinks. The only one left is Prince Fielder."

Angelos: "That fat guy? Fat people can't play baseball. Screw this. Gimme my checkbook back and get the Hell out of my office!"

I've had a similar conversation in my mind, but dating back to his interview:

DD - So that's my budget for the ML roster?

PA - Yes. Well yeah that and the other teams.

DD - Other teams?

PA - You know, Rochester, Hagerstown, Bluefield......the minor league Orioles's

DD - So that includes staff?

PA - Yeah. Anyone you want to hire.....as long as I employ them already.....you know, it's hard to find people you can trust

DD - How about the draft

PA - Haven't had one of those in years

DD - I mean, our amateur draft

PA - Yeah....that's right there in that number you've got

DD - So, do I have autonomy on player decisions?

PA - I fell like someone's asked me that question before........

DD - It means can I make trades and sign players without running them past you?

PA - I wonder what I told them.............Well, you can sign anyone you want and trade anyone you want....as long as it's not one of my friends on the team....and you don't exceed that number right there. I hear you have absolutely no options whatsoever.....want a job?

DD - It's perfect. Thanks Mr. Angelos

PA - Thank you Paul. You're gonna fit in just nice around here.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wish we had a passionate owner with a plan to win. I don't care if it is the route the Royals, are going, or Boston or NY.Or even the Marlins who are combining the two. i just want to see a dedicated plan. and honestly it seems PA does everything halfa**ed. We do everything just a little bit which is why i know for a fact we will not see Prince Fielder here. PA has all his rules about how much he would spend on a player, or how many years he would give a player. No one is excited to be a FA just for they sign with Balt. Only way we can get someone he is out buy the entire competition and then somehow fool the FA into thinking we are committed to winning at all costs.

I believe we match up the best. The key is going to be the $.

And that's going to be an Angelos decision...

We match up the best based on what criteria?

1.) Playoff Contender or close to contending

2.) Highest Offer in Dollars/Years

3.) In need of a MOO bat

4.) In need of a first baseman

The Orioles match up great in terms of our need, but we are a terrible match for Fielder if he is interested in playing for a contender and landing the best offer available without ignoring the fact that he might not play for a contender in order to make a few bucks. I think we have a 5% chance or less as Fielder, but that number would increase to 50% if we offered the most money and years by more than 15%.

But Jtrea, you'd have to agree that the Orioles stepping up to pay Fielder even 25 million for 6 years is a long shot. If somehow the Orioles signed Fielder, I would be the most surprised guy in the world..and maybe the happiest. But I'm not holding out ANY hope.

I should clarify something. I won't be despondent or critical of the Orioles if they sign Prince Fielder, so long as its not to an excessively stupid contract. He's obviously an upgrade, and that kind of move would be a significant shift in organizational thinking... which is very obviously a good thing.

I don't really think he's going to do much in the next year or two in terms of getting them into contention, but if he's servicable at 30 & 31, who knows.

The bigger need for this team is fairly obviously starting pitching.

Trea will find a loophole in his own ultimatum. There is no stopping him.
Honestly, I'd rather have Trea around anyway. He doesn't make personal attacks; he just posts his ideas and continues to do so in the face of ridicule. I'd take him on a board over some of the more knowledgeable posters who act like [redacted] to anybody who disagrees.

Honestly, I'd rather have Trea around anyway. He doesn't make personal attacks; he just posts his ideas and continues to do so in the face of ridicule. I'd take him on a board over some of the more knowledgeable posters who act like [redacted] to anybody who disagrees.

agreed!

IT'S NOT ABOUT DUQUETTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, man. Seriously.

A few months ago, I thought it was all about what Showalter wanted. He's not here for a rebuild blah, blah. win it now
Oh no, I harbor zero hate for Trea. I just kinda feel bad for him, allowing himself to believe every year only to be disappointed over and over and over again.

Lucy's gonna pull the football out again, unfortunately. Most of us have decided just to punt.

I prefer the Linus analogy :D

FOOL.jpg

I should clarify something. I won't be despondent or critical of the Orioles if they sign Prince Fielder, so long as its not to an excessively stupid contract. He's obviously an upgrade, and that kind of move would be a significant shift in organizational thinking... which is very obviously a good thing.

I don't really think he's going to do much in the next year or two in terms of getting them into contention, but if he's servicable at 30 & 31, who knows.

The bigger need for this team is fairly obviously starting pitching.

I actually agree with Trea that if you look down the road, next year there are a lot of good pitchers due for free agency (Cain, Danks, Greinke, Guthrie, Hamels, Lewis, Liriano, Marcum, Pavano, A. Sanchez, J. Sanchez, Saunders), and very few impact bats. So, I could get behind a Fielder bid on that basis.

I actually agree with Trea that if you look down the road, next year there are a lot of good pitchers due for free agency (Cain, Danks, Greinke, Guthrie, Hamels, Lewis, Liriano, Marcum, Pavano, A. Sanchez, J. Sanchez, Saunders), and very few impact bats. So, I could get behind a Fielder bid on that basis.

It's not the wanting of the guy that drives me crazy so much as it is the expectation that we will sign him.

There is the trade market, and no one can accurately predict what that will look like.

A few months ago, I thought it was all about what Showalter wanted. He's not here for a rebuild blah, blah. win it nowI prefer the Linus analogy :D

“I don’t mind your dishonesty half as much as I mind your opinion of me.”

Good grief. The football's gonna get yanked again.

It's funny, that reminds me of this story my Aunt told me about her two dogs. The dogs are brother and sister and they're about 3 years old. They both sleep in dog beds in the living room but one of the beds is much nicer than the other. The female dog typically sleeps in that bed, but the brother will try to hijack it whenever he possibly can. So whenever that happens, the female dog runs outside and starts barking and freaking out like there's a racoon rumbling through the yard or something. The male dog is never able to contain himself. He holds out as long as he can and then jumps up and sprints out the door just to make sure... and by the time he comes back in, there she is, sleeping in his bed.

Don't let this organization get you out of bed again, Trea. Stay comfy.

Not to play devil's advocate TOO much but the facts indicate that no team has shown a huge interest in Fielder. A lot of the big spenders (NYY, BOS, LAA) already have 1B locked up and I really think Boras is having issues drumming up interest.

While I don't think Prince will be coming to Baltimore, I wouldn't be shocked to see him "settle" for a short-term deal back in Milwaukee or something along those lines.

Not to play devil's advocate TOO much but the facts indicate that no team has shown a huge interest in Fielder. A lot of the big spenders (NYY, BOS, LAA) already have 1B locked up and I really think Boras is having issues drumming up interest.

While I don't think Prince will be coming to Baltimore, I wouldn't be shocked to see him "settle" for a short-term deal back in Milwaukee or something along those lines.

I think you are in a dream land. If Fielder would settle for 20 million a year for 6 years he would have a ton of teams interested in him. The fact that he wants 10 years is the reason he isn't signed yet. He will get signed to a huge contract for many years. That is pretty much a given.

I would think the Cubs over the Brewers if he wants a 5 year deal.

Archived