What's the most you would trade for Tex?

mweb

I should change my wording to need to. This is because trading for Tex is likely to sap any depth this organization has. Now, if we only have to give up Cabrera, Benson, and lets say Gibbons, then we could probably afford to keep Tejada.

But what if you give up Cabrera, Penn/Olson, and Benson/Gibbons?

You are left with, as starters:

Bedard

Loewen

maybe Benson

one of Olson or Penn

FA starter

My reasoning is that you sign Soriano to replace Tejada's production. You trade for Teixeira to get that extra bat, and you trade Tejada to fill two or three immediate holes. We don't have to trade Tejada but I have two questions:

1. What is our payroll if we add Soriano, trade for Tex, and keep Tejada? Lets say we drop Benson and sign a FA starter to a similar deal.

2. How do we fill our other holes without adding too much payroll after trading for Tex?

Remember, Tex is only due to make 9 million next year...If you trade Benson or Gibbons in the deal, the net gain in payroll is minimal.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want Tex as badly as most on here seem to, I'd rather wait 2 years to take a shot at him then give up what I think it will take to get him.

What I think it would take to get him: DC, Penn, CPat, Britton, or they may very well insist upon Bedard as the centerpiece.

I'd be willing to offer Penn, Olson, Benson, and Gibbons. I don't think that gets it done though.

Does anyone have a good undestanding of the ranking of the guys Milwaukee got, at the time?

Overbay & Capuano are arguably the two best players in that deal and they were unproven at the time.

Dave, you don't think Texas would be interested in SG's 5 for 1?

I dunno about rankings, but I do know that three of those players went directly into the Brewers' everyday lineup (Counsell SS, Spivey 2B, Overbay 1B), one went straight into the rotation (Capuano), and one filled a bench role (Moeller) -- all at quite affordable prices. It turned out to be a very effective trade for Milwaukee.

I don't see SG's offer being as good, no.

Just one more year Dave...Let's not act as if Tex is signed to some 3-4 year deal that is very reasonable.

That leap from one year to two has a pretty big impact on value.

Look at the difference between what Beane got from ATL for Hudson (1 year left), versus what he got from STL for Mulder (2 years left). The STL deal was way better. I don't think you can argue that Mulder was better than Hudson at that point -- he was only signed for longer.

IYO, if you are Texas, can a deal be made without inlcuding the guys SG listed?

Second question. Regardless of your answer to #1, what do you want, excluding Tejada & Bedard?

No to the first question.

2 of 3 of DC, Loewen, and Penn, plus CPat if they aren't keeping GMat, and a good young BP arm.

No to the first question.

2 of 3 of DC, Loewen, and Penn, plus CPat if they aren't keeping GMat, and a good young BP arm.

I don't see a team in baseball trading that much talent for a 2 year player.

So, if that is what they want, you say thanks but no thanks and move on...If they stick to that, Tex is a Ranger next year.

I keep seeing Benson and Gibbons name come up, but I just don't see Texas having any interest in either player. They traded Kevin Mench in the Carlos Lee deal; why would they want someone who is basically a clone of him (and one year older)?

As for Benson, I like him and wouldn't mind seeing him here next season, but I don't see TX having major interest in him. Maybe as a throw-in, but definitely not as a major piece. He'll be 33 next year, he's never won more than 11 games, his BAA for his 1st year in the AL is .282 and he'd be moving into a more hitter-friendly park and ... lest we forget ... all we had to give up for him was a reliever who had lost his closers job and someone who alot of people here considered a back-of-the-rotation at best/AAAA pitcher. If we didn't pay much for him, why would someone else???

I don't see a team in baseball trading that much talent for a 2 year player.

So, if that is what they want, you say thanks but no thanks and move on...If they stick to that, Tex is a Ranger next year.

I believe the question is what would you want if you're the Rangers. That's what I'd want. Maybe take out the Britton/Hoey part of it. So DC, Penn, and CPat.

It's not like they have to trade him. It's similiar to our situation with Miggy, we wouldn't trade him unless we got a spectacular offer. So no team would offer enough to satisfy us, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened with the Rangers.

I wouldn't be suprised if the Angels made a similiar offer to what they offered for Miggy. So Santana and a top 50 prospect.

So, you acting as John Daniels, would take Cabrera, Penn, CPat, & Hoey? I think that's reasonable. I think I'd pass as the O's but I think it's reasonable.

Yeah, I would take that, maybe even a lesser BP arm than Hoey. But if I'm them, I feel no need to trade Tex, in fact I'd prefer to keep him and see if he can have a huge year to raise his value.

Archived