Some notes from Fanfest

Frobby

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, he looked like he wanted to through the microphone at you, haha.

That was my initial reaction, that he was pulling the mike away from his face as if to say "Really?". But watching the video, I realized he was mioving the mike close and further away from his face as a joke about changing how high he holds his hands, which is why he got a good laugh from the crowd. I hadn't picked up on that. The thing I did notice, when I was there, was that he was making eye contact with me during his entire answer. So I made sure I was smiling.

By the way, weams' question didn't come off as rude. It went more or less like this. "A friend of mine keeps telling me that the trade for you was stupid. But Dan Duquette, who I think is a very smart man, says...". You could see Eveland raise his eyebrows after the first sentence but then relax when the next sentence came, and then he gave a good explanatiion of how he improved his game at AAA. I guess we'll find out how improved he is.

Only 9,000 people in attendance today. That's a shame.

Considering the weather, the disappointing performance last year, and the fact that the team hasn't picked up any high profile new players, I thought the turnout was strong. The fan forums certainly were full until late in the afternoon. The autograph lines certainly looked healthy.

That was my initial reaction, that he was pulling the mike away from his face as if to say "Really?". But watching the video, I realized he was mioving the mike close and further away from his face as a joke about changing how high he holds his hands, which is why he got a good laugh from the crowd. I hadn't picked up on that. The thing I did notice, when I was there, was that he was making eye contact with me during his entire answer. So I made sure I was smiling.

By the way, weams' question didn't come off as rude. It went more or less like this. "A friend of mine keeps telling me that the trade for you was stupid. But Dan Duquette, who I think is a very smart man, says...". You could see Eveland raise his eyebrows after the first sentence but then relax when the next sentence came, and then he gave a good explanatiion of how he improved his game at AAA. I guess we'll find out how improved he is.

Thanks for all of this. You guys handled it well. Size-wise how did Flaherty and Antonelli compare? Did Brady give any spiels?

Considering the weather, the disappointing performance last year, and the fact that the team hasn't picked up any high profile new players, I thought the turnout was strong. The fan forums certainly were full until late in the afternoon. The autograph lines certainly looked healthy.

I thought the same thing. I wanted to get there earlier at 11AM but I waited due to the weather and didn't get there until a little before 1PM. My wife and I both thought the turnout was good considering the weather and the other factors you brought up. All the problems the Orioles have a good fan base isn't one of them. I wanted to hear more of the fan forums but I also wanted to walk around and check everything out. My wife had never seen the clubhouse area and enjoyed that.

Only 9,000 people in attendance today. That's a shame.
It's a shame that the organization is in such a state. It's pretty outstanding, however, that even after all these bad seasons in a row, around 1/5 of Oriole Park's capacity showed up for Fan Fest this year.

• 5 years later...
On 1/21/2012 at 11:53 AM, Frobby said:

Buck and Dan:

Buck - if you know Dan, I have a feeling he's not done

Dan -have to be patient about BRob

Dan - seems a bit skeptical about Machado staying at SS

Buck -

I hane a good feeling about Nolan this year. I want Nolan to be the LF

Dan - downplays Fielder but says he wants to acquire a high OBP guy with power for middle of the order.

Buck - I'm dying to have a player I can call Prince. But I like what we have. Don't sleep on Chris Davis.

Dan - focused on OBP. Thinks Antonelli will have good OBP and Flaherty may too. Still looking for a few players

Buck - JJ probably in the pen

Dan - wants strong scouting of local talent as well as international.

Dan - our player development will be as thorough and diligent as any team in the big leagues. Player development is my strength.

Buck - plans on Reynolds at 3B and Davis at 1B. Reynolds wants to play 3B and is better than he showed last year and has lost 18 pounds this winter and is working hard. Davis is an above average 1B and Buck isn't sure his shoulder would hold up over a season at 3B.

Bump...was looking at this report I did from Duquette’s first Fanfest.   Some of the comments here are very interesting in hindsight, especially Dan seeming “skeptical” about Manny (who at the time was slated for Bowie) remaining at SS.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bump...was looking at this report I did from Duquette’s first Fanfest.   Some of the comments here are very interesting in hindsight, especially Dan seeming “skeptical” about Manny (who at the time was slated for Bowie) remaining at SS.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Dan - wants strong scouting of local talent as well as international.

Dan - our player development will be as thorough and diligent as any team in the big leagues. Player development is my strength

Bwahahahahahahahaha

Archived