Some notes from Fanfest

Frobby

2. I hung around for the first segment of the infielders forum.

I enjoyed that session (and your questions).

Someone had mentioned that the fans felt JJ Hardy certainly deserved a Gold Glove, and he was pretty candid, yet respectful, with his response, saying that he did indeed want it and was pretty bummed to be passed up, saying he works hard and takes pride in his defense and that "maybe I'm not flashy enough". Just like us, he knows he deserved it.

There were a couple awkard moments -- one woman told Reynolds he seemed too inattentive in the field at times and asked if he was doing anything to correct that. Another fan asked JJ Hardy if he was actively trying to recruit Prince Fielder -- as Hardy is sitting next to Chris Davis. He replied that he wasn't. Whenever the topic of Prince Fielder came up, you could see that the guys sort of offered gestures of consolation towards Chris Davis. Seems like a touchy subject.

Personally, I think if we could keep Davis, Reynolds and get Fielder, that would give us great flexibility with three mashers to handle the corner infield spots and DH.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. From what I saw of the sportswriters forum, I enjoyed it. I know some people aren't that enamored with Amber or Britt, because they don't think they attack the team as much as they should. But, considering some of what we've had to put up with in this area, both male and female, but specifically Jen Royle, these two ladies are incredibly bright and know their stuff. They take their jobs seriously, they're personable, and they genuinely seem to enjoy what they do and the jobs that they have. I'm not saying they're perfect, but we should consider ourselves as sports fans lucky to have them around.

I think most people around here have no problems with Amber or Britt. Relative to most beat journalists, they're well informed, especially Britt, and they're certainly hard working. We're very lucky to have them and I hope they stick around awhile.

Did you actually use the word "stupid"? I'm sorry...just seems like an extremely insensitive way to phrase a question to a stranger, albeit a professional athlete. I realize I'm missing context, which is why I'm asking.

I used the word stupid. And I think he responded very well. We had a 43 page tread about that concept and the word was used specifically. I'll accept that others felt my phasing was within the boundaries of courteous , good natured questioning. Again, I felt his response was very good and genuine.

I enjoyed that session (and your questions).

Someone had mentioned that the fans felt JJ Hardy certainly deserved a Gold Glove, and he was pretty candid, yet respectful, with his response, saying that he did indeed want it and was pretty bummed to be passed up, saying he works hard and takes pride in his defense and that "maybe I'm not flashy enough". Just like us, he knows he deserved it.

There were a couple awkard moments -- one woman told Reynolds he seemed too inattentive in the field at times and asked if he was doing anything to correct that. Another fan asked JJ Hardy if he was actively trying to recruit Prince Fielder -- as Hardy is sitting next to Chris Davis. He replied that he wasn't. Whenever the topic of Prince Fielder came up, you could see that the guys sort of offered gestures of consolation towards Chris Davis. Seems like a touchy subject.

Personally, I think if we could keep Davis, Reynolds and get Fielder, that would give us great flexibility with three mashers to handle the corner infield spots and DH.

I forgot about some of that stuff. The Reynolds exchange was definitely awkward. He's a pretty plain spoken guy as is, but he was really taking his time in his response because he seemed genuinely annoyed by the question. I thought the question to JJ about Fielder was pretty funny, mainly due to his response about Fielder's wife. Didn't quite hit me though about the awkwardness with Davis sitting right there. Davis did say though that he expects to be the 1st baseman, and all things considered I can't say I disagree with that statement.

I used the word stupid. And I think he responded very well. We had a 43 page tread about that concept and the word was used specifically. I'll accept that others felt my phasing was within the boundaries of courteous , good natured questioning. Again, I felt his response was very good and genuine.

Thanks. As I said, I didn't hear it in context. I was just thinking how I would react if someone from my office building that I didn't know stopped and said "my friend said your firm was stupid to hire you, but..." I guess Eveland's used to similar questions by virtue of being a pro.

I think most people around here have no problems with Amber or Britt. Relative to most beat journalists, they're well informed, especially Britt, and they're certainly hard working. We're very lucky to have them and I hope they stick around awhile.

Very lucky.

Thanks. As I said, I didn't hear it in context. I was just thinking how I would react if someone from my office building that I didn't know stopped and said "my friend said your firm was stupid to hire you, but..." I guess Eveland's used to similar questions by virtue of being a pro.

I can see your point. I hoped that I did not come across that way to him. Seemed like a nice young man.

I can see your point. I hoped that I did not come across that way to him. Seemed like a nice young man.

Well...it definitely doesn't sound like you intended the comment to travel with an edge. Best thing for him to do now is just go out and make sure your friend's the stupid one :P

(and me, too. I didn't like the trade very much, either)

Just because some posters here classified the trade as "stupid" does not mean the trade was stupid. Fans sometimes think they know more than they actually do. I'd say Eveland took the high road to the nth degree. That just gives me even more reason to root for him now.

Just because some posters here classified the trade as "stupid" does not mean the trade was stupid. Fans sometimes think they know more than they actually do. I'd say Eveland took the high road to the nth degree. That just gives me even more reason to root for him now.

I agree. I can't believe someone had the balls to ask him that question. What did you expect him to say? Way to welcome a new Oriole.

Antonelli and I teased each other about the Pats-Ravens game tomorrow. He said he hopes they don't beat us too badly. :D

I almost forgot... I was starting to get into a conversation with Ryan Flaherty until someone came up and said something about him being a Patriots fan (I didn't know at the time he was from Maine). I just gave him the 'really bro?!?!?' - look with him almost apologizing saying he is from the area :laughlol: It was one of those good conversations STOPPED on a dime!!!

***EDIT: And I was EXTREMELY close to being in one of Sammy's pics...:eek:

Archived