Hammel/Chen/Hunter/Matusz/Arrieta -- a solid starting five?

Frobby

Yeah, when I said my gut feeling was that this rotation would be no worse than average, I didn't mean it literally that it couldn't possibly be worse than average. I was trying to say that right now I think the rotation will probably turn out to be average or a bit better. Which is pretty optimistic, I know, considering we had the worst rotation in the league last year. But I just like the way the cards seem to be falling this spring.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, when I said my gut feeling was that this rotation would be no worse than average, I didn't mean it literally that it couldn't possibly be worse than average. I was trying to say that right now I think the rotation will probably turn out to be average or a bit better. Which is pretty optimistic, I know, considering we had the worst rotation in the league last year. But I just like the way the cards seem to be falling this spring.

I feel the same way. Two weeks ago, i would have said the rotation will be below average. But with the way things have been going, I'm tempted to say average or better.

As goes the rotation so goes the team. I can see the team being average or a little above as well. That would be a nice improvement IMO.

So basically we are lacking a SP with the upside of a #1. Maybe when Bundy gets here we won't. Or maybe if enough of these guys pitch close to their upside, we sign someone like Hmels next winter.

Yes and no. We are definitely lacking a SP w/ No. 1 upside. On the other-hand, the downside risk of just about each of these guys is "not in the rotation." That's a lot of risk to carry.

Yes and no. We are definitely lacking a SP w/ No. 1 upside. On the other-hand, the downside risk of just about each of these guys is "not in the rotation." That's a lot of risk to carry.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to phrase it, and that's pretty much it. I recognize there's good upside with some of these guys and some track records of success. But it all comes with an asterisk because it's Asian guys and young guys and "also Hunter and Hammel." The former two groups carry lots of question marks and the latter pair are kind of unexciting; likely mediocre and, if Hammel pitches like he did in Tampa (back in the AL East), that trade is going to look much worse.

Personally, I'd start Chen opening day.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to phrase it, and that's pretty much it. I recognize there's good upside with some of these guys and some track records of success. But it all comes with an asterisk because it's Asian guys and young guys and "also Hunter and Hammel." The former two groups carry lots of question marks and the latter pair are kind of unexciting; likely mediocre and, if Hammel pitches like he did in Tampa (back in the AL East), that trade is going to look much worse.

Personally, I'd start Chen opening day.

But he's an Asian guy.

I like the starting five listed in the OP. However, the wild card IMO is Wada. He had a good outing and his contract says he must stay on the 25 man roster. We'll see how he responds physically but he's my dark horse.

For right now, my starting five is Hammel, Chen, Hunter, Matusz, Arrieta -- put in that order because I think Buck will want to split up the two lefties. Assuming that's it, how decent of a starting five can that be?

Right now, my gut feeling is that it's no worse than average. Clearly missing an ace, but the back end seems very strong to me. And, there's good depth in case someone gets hurt or performs poorly.

Sign me up for the Orioles' starters making a very significant jump from last year. Of course, the whole season depends on it.

Your gut is skewed by your annual Spring Training optimism.

Archived