Hammel/Chen/Hunter/Matusz/Arrieta -- a solid starting five?

Frobby

In order for Chen to make it historically bad, he'd have to be an exceptionally inept pitcher.

The worst pitching staff in the history of the live ball era were the 1929 Philadelphia Phillies, with their 6.13 staff ERA.

Depends how you look at "worst" and "historically bad" I guess. The 1929 Phillies an ERA+ of 85 in 1929. We had an ERA+ of 84 last year (that after a good September). We were worse. Using ERA+ (I think were were 81 at one point) we were on track to have one of the worst pitching staffs in ML history (probably around 78-80) up through August as I recall.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an interesting staff. 5 guys with almost the same upside to be about #3 caliber starters. If they hit around that potential, it will be a weak front and strong back-end of the rotation. It's also interesting because you really have no idea how things are going to pan out. How will Chen do? Can Matusz bounce back? Will Arrieta improve? Can Hunter stay healthy?

It's an interesting staff. 5 guys with almost the same upside to be about #3 caliber starters. If they hit around that potential, it will be a weak front and strong back-end of the rotation. It's also interesting because you really have no idea how things are going to pan out. How will Chen do? Can Matusz bounce back? Will Arrieta improve? Can Hunter stay healthy?

I think we have 5 #3 caliber starters based on the numbers above in 2004, by last years standards we have basically 5 number 4/5 starters.

If those 5 OD starters our the 5 best starters on our staff then if even two guys don't hit 150 innings (Given there past MLB innings and pitchers injuries it's a good bet) we will have a bottom 2 staff in the MLB, while that is likely an improvement over last year, it's a 70 win team to me.

I think we have 5 #3 caliber starters

This is how I feel. I expect someone will move up and pitch like a 2 and two guys will drop - one to a 4, the other to a 5. So, I expect this will position our rotation to be slightly below average.

Frankly, if we end this season with a 2 among the projected Opening Day 5 and still have Britton/Bundy waiting in the wings, I would be fairly encouraged about 2013 and 2014.

I think we will have a #2, a #3, two #4's and 2 #5's. I just can't say who they will be..

And then you gotta think 2 or 3 of them find themselves on the DL at some point so what do you think are 6, 7, and 8 starters are?

1 five and 2 below replacement level?

And then you gotta think 2 or 3 of them find themselves on the DL at some point so what do you think are 6, 7, and 8 starters are?

1 five and 2 below replacement level?

Britton, a #2-3, Tillman, #4-5 Wada a #3-4, Bergesen a #6,

I guess Minnesota is expected to hit lefties better than righties and the opposite for New York. Anyone want to put together their lineups and provide career and 2011 splits? :)

I'm actually refreshed by this plan if indeed Chen and Matusz go back-to-back against the Yankees. The start to the season should be more about match ups.

It's going to happen sooner or later.

Most assuredly part of Bucks strategy even going back one or two weeks. He let Hammel pitch agains the Yanks in ST, knowing he would put him 3rd in the rotation and thereby missing the Yanks during the first series.

Yep...I hate this idea of not having young pitchers pitch in NY early on.

BTW, lefties generally fare better in NY than righties do.

It's going to happen sooner or later.

Most assuredly part of Bucks strategy even going back one or two weeks. He let Hammel pitch agains the Yanks in ST, knowing he would put him 3rd in the rotation and thereby missing the Yanks during the first series.

Assuming no rainouts and no skipped starts (big assumption I know). To start the year...

#2 pitcher (Hunter) faces: MIN, TOR, CHISOX, TOR, OAK

#4 pitcher (Chen) faces: NYY, TOR, LAA, TOR, NYY

Welcome to the big show Chen

Archived