Hammel/Chen/Hunter/Matusz/Arrieta -- a solid starting five?

Frobby

With regard to the opening post, I agree that this could be a solid rotation. It is relatively young and has potential for upside. Nationally and in some quarters on OH it will continue to get ridiculed until it has some success. For those of us that remain hopeful, we are left to remain patient and wait to see what happens. The season can't start soon enough for me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably a fool for saying this, but the rotation isn't that bad. I think it's more solid than most that we've had in recent years (no Eatons, etc wasting space). And unlike most years, I think you can make a case for each of these five to have good seasons. I realize some or most of them probably won't, but each of them could.

Yep...I hate this idea of not having young pitchers pitch in NY early on.

BTW, lefties generally fare better in NY than righties do.

Agreed. And remember, Jake Arrieta's first ML start was against the Yankees. And he won. Nothing wrong with showing a little confidence in a guy, even if it is his ML debut.

The great thing about this rotation is that, even if some guys do falter, there are two very solid options available in AAA: Tillman and Bergesen, along with Britton once his shoulder is all set.

This is some of the best depth in years, and I hear the kvetching like we're trying to count on Rich Hill or Justin Duscherer.

Archived