Kevin Gregg Didn't Lose The Game

brianod

BTW, maybe I'm slowly turning into Rick Dempsey, but I'm encouraged by the fact that we played a very good team tough for 2 of 3 games. Yea, it sucks that we didn't get a W out of it but we hung with them. And if we replay each of those extra innings scenarios maybe we're 5-1 right now...

That said, both AJ and Hardy swung at balls in each of the last two games -- some of the hitters on this team need to learn patience.

Neither player is going to learn patience at this point. They're great 6-7-8 hitters on a decent team, with above average production for their position. But they're not reliable in the way that good teams have reliable middle-of-the-order guys. That's high-probability hitters. Solid-OBP/solid-power guys. I'd be happy if we had enough production that we could bat Jones/Reynolds/Hardy at 6-7-8.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neither player is going to learn patience at this point. They're great 6-7-8 hitters on a decent team, with above average production for their position. But they're not reliable in the way that good teams have reliable middle-of-the-order guys. That's high-probability hitters. Solid-OBP/solid-power guys. I'd be happy if we had enough production that we could bat Jones/Reynolds/Hardy at 6-7-8.
The batting order really needs to be reshuffled. Too many low OBP guys up front. Wieters will bat #4 eventually I am sure. Markakis should bat #2. We don't have a #3 hitter, But in the absence of one we are better of with some combination of Betemit and Johnson in that spot. If you want to keep giving Reimold AB, he's better suited to the #9 spot for now.# 5,6,7, 8, should be Jones, Reynolds, Hardy, Davis.

The batting order really needs to be reshuffled. Too many low OBP guys up front. Wieters will bat #4 eventually I am sure. Markakis should bat #2. We don't have a #3 hitter, But in the absence of one we are better of with some combination of Betemit and Johnson in that spot. If you want to keep giving Reimold AB, he's better suited to the #9 spot for now.# 5,6,7, 8, should be Jones, Reynolds, Hardy, Davis.

I don't disagree. Not having solid guys at No. 1 and No. 3 really hurts.

I don't disagree. Not having solid guys at No. 1 and No. 3 really hurts.
Ideally I think Wieters would be a fine #3. but for now he most likely is the best option for #4. I don't think lead off hitter is as important as some. Basically a guy who can get on base and is fast enough to not clog the bases. Stealing would be a plus. Maybe the improved Andino could be that guy, but it is not essential IMO. We just lack two hitters who can hit for average and get on base at the front of the order. We have plenty of power, but that power plays at the back of the order, because of the poor plate discipline. One player with power and plate discipline would do wonders.

You're grasping at straws if you think that's the problem. You know the old joke about the Titanic.
No we aren't getting the most out of what we have because we are asking too much from players not suited to the roles they are asked to fill. Lucky Jim is right in sayng that Hardy, Jones, Reimold, and Reynolds aren't suited to their positions in the batting order.

You're grasping at straws if you think that's the problem. You know the old joke about the Titanic.

I agree with you but also with Gordo. We do need more talent, no doubt. But we could also improve what we have right now by reshuffling the order. Working nights I haven't watched much baseball this year, but following games and game threads it just doesn't seem like we have the right guys at the right spots.

I have been as harsh a critic of Gregg as anyone. That being said, this isn't on him. It's on the offense's lack of ability to score one run against the Yankee bullpen in what 10+ innings?

This!

Both of these games our offense was pathetic. Awful. Minor leaguish. Even if Gregg gets out of that inning, we aren't gonna score, so the game would just keep going until the Yanks decide to end it.

Great hitters fail 2 out of 3 times. But, great hitters don't swing at a ball over their head ahead 1-0 with the bases loaded and two outs with the winning run on third. Great hitters don't get treated with disdain and have an average middle reliever throw a 91 mph fastball down the middle twice in the same situation. I'm sorry but Adam Jones shows no signs of becoming a Frank Robinson. I would be patient and see what he looks like over the next few months. If he continues to look like this, I wouldn't break the bank.

Since when did the bar for Adam Jones become "Frank Robinson, inner circle HOFer"?

I love me a good ole' fashioned Kevin Gregg bashing, but he actually did his job tonight and got us a 1-2-3 inning. He is not a two inning pitcher.

Two issues with Buck's pen management: 1) Gregg was left in for two innings 2) Gregg was pitching at all in a high-leverage situation. You could reasonably conclude that the O's had their 6th or 7th-best reliever throwing against the Yanks in the key moments of a game.

I found it interesting that the Yankees essentially loaded the bases just to face Jones last night.

They didn't really go after Hardy and they walked Nick intentionally.

It's clear which hitter between Nick and Jones they respect more. Nick is the more patient, better contact hitter. Jones has more power and is faster (which didn't matter). Advantage, Nick.

It's clear which hitter between Nick and Jones they respect more. Nick is the more patient, better contact hitter. Jones has more power and is faster (which didn't matter). Advantage, Nick.

Well, they didn't want Hardy either.

But yea, that goes back to what I have been saying...Nick is the better all around player.

Well, they didn't want Hardy either.

But yea, that goes back to what I have been saying...Nick is the better all around player.

Both players are flawed. They are both solid major leaguers who are being asked to do too much do to the lack of talent around them. Right now Nick is a #2 and Jones should be a #6 or #5 when hot. If I had to pick one, it would be Jones although too close to nit pick really.

Archived