Kevin Gregg Didn't Lose The Game

brianod

Adam Jones certainly gets his share of crap on here, some deserved, and some way overblown. This to me is one of the times where it is overblown. He owned up to trying to do too much, but putting this squarely on his shoulders is complete horse dookie. Have we forgotten the at bats earlier in the game when bases were loaded and they failed to score? I get that people want someone to blame, but most teams win/ lose together. Usually it takes more than AB to lose a baseball game.

Also, way to get a jab in about who is the better player. Pretty sure they both bring value in their own way, but never never miss a chance to say what's on your mind, a106,000 times.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget the shortening of the swing for Jones.

Soriano had thrown 9 straight balls and he swings at one over his head?

That, in a nutshell, is why Jones will never be the elite guy many on here hope he will end up being and why giving him a big extension is a mistake.

See, this is still unacceptable to me. Jones knows he just needs a single. It's easier to hit a single than a HR. The bases are loaded. He has to throw you strikes. Shorten up your swing and drop in a single and win the game. Don't be bigger than the team. And for the love of God, if he's behind you 1-0 in the count do NOT swing at ball 2 in your eyes!

Very annoying.

I like AJ a lot, but this is a good post, spot on.

Adam Jones certainly gets his share of crap on here, some deserved, and some way overblown. This to me is one of the times where it is overblown. He owned up to trying to do too much, but putting this squarely on his shoulders is complete horse dookie. Have we forgotten the at bats earlier in the game when bases were loaded and they failed to score? I get that people want someone to blame, but most teams win/ lose together. Usually it takes more than AB to lose a baseball game.

Also, way to get a jab in about who is the better player. Pretty sure they both bring value in their own way, but never never miss a chance to say what's on your mind, a106,000 times.

I agree, you win and lose as a team. My point was that Adam Jones was as much to blame or even more so, then everyone's favorite goat. It wasn't to say that Adam Jones was the sole reason we lost the game. I like Adam Jones and root for him. I think the jury is still out on whether we should throw big money at him.

Everyone and their mother did know that Jones would strike out there - I mean, it was a given. It's why they walked Markakis, after all. But I'm still heartened by what he said after the game, and you can say it's orange-colored glasses if you want, that's fine. But it's also the first time I recall hearing him correctly say what he should have done.

I am glad he owned up to it as well. Accountability is always good in my book.

Its the same with Reynolds. He knows he has an issue. He has worked very hard at improving himself.

I appreciate athletes who are hard workers and hold themselves accountable. Its rare and nice to see.

But the results are still the same and at the end, that is what matters.

I agree, you win and lose as a team. My point was that Adam Jones was as much to blame or even more so, then everyone's favorite goat. It wasn't to say that Adam Jones was the sole reason we lost the game. I like Adam Jones and root for him. I think the jury is still out on whether we should throw big money at him.

I agree that AJ failed in that spot, and Gregg actually did well. Sorry I missed that part.

The batting order really needs to be reshuffled. Too many low OBP guys up front. Wieters will bat #4 eventually I am sure. Markakis should bat #2. We don't have a #3 hitter, But in the absence of one we are better of with some combination of Betemit and Johnson in that spot. If you want to keep giving Reimold AB, he's better suited to the #9 spot for now.# 5,6,7, 8, should be Jones, Reynolds, Hardy, Davis.

I'd like to see AJ in the 2 hole. If you look at his splits, that's been his best spot. He's not a "typical" # 2 hitter but we should be looking to maximize our guys talent. Leave Nick 3, move Wieters to 4, put Hardy 5 and go from there depending on the matchups.

Also, just as a sidebar, it was obvious that Jones was pressing. Just listening to all of Jones' comments and interviews, he's sick of the losing and he wants to do something about it. That said, pressing isn't going to get the job. As Buck calls it, having "emotional at bats."

........................bump

What is the point of bumping this? Today's game has nothing to do with the Yankees game. I don't believe the OP was implying that Gregg is good and won't lose us any games just that he didn't lose us the Yankees game.

What is the point of bumping this? Today's game has nothing to do with the Yankees game. I don't believe the OP was implying that Gregg is good and won't lose us any games just that he didn't lose us the Yankees game.

I've read that it helps to twist the stick slightly before removing it from your a-hole.

I'd like to see AJ in the 2 hole. If you look at his splits, that's been his best spot. He's not a "typical" # 2 hitter but we should be looking to maximize our guys talent. Leave Nick 3, move Wieters to 4, put Hardy 5 and go from there depending on the matchups.

Also, just as a sidebar, it was obvious that Jones was pressing. Just listening to all of Jones' comments and interviews, he's sick of the losing and he wants to do something about it. That said, pressing isn't going to get the job. As Buck calls it, having "emotional at bats."

I want the first four batter to be guys who get on base. Anything else they bring is a plus. Jones should bat no higher than #5, IMO.

Archived