Matusz Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure somebody will find something to criticize - he only had five strikeouts, or something. That's an excellent outing and I'm glad to see it.

Now, 10 more before he is allowed back. This the one guy who really needs to get it figured out. I can see next year as being his last if he doesn't.

DD may very well trade him in the offseason as it is, if it is true about the other GM's "being intrigued with both their arms"

I'm sure somebody will find something to criticize - he only had five strikeouts, or something. That's an excellent outing and I'm glad to see it.

It's not a criticism to note that it appears he's not missing bats. So, yeah, I'll bite. It's a good outing, but far from a sign that he's improved to the point of being an effective MLB pitcher. That said, you've always been a bit rosy on Matusz:

While I think very highly of Tillman, what Matusz has done over the last 6-7 weeks has separated him as the clear no. 1 guy in my opinion. Batters have no idea what to do with him. He simply has too many good pitches, and the ability to throw any of them for a strike in any count.

I see it this way: Tillman has a floor of a no. 3 starter, a high probability of being a no. 2 starter, and a 20-30% chance of being a no. 1 starter. Matusz has a floor of being a no. 2 starter, and a 40-50% chances of being a no. 1 starter. I have at least some lingering doubts as to whether Tillman's command and change-up will be good enough to elevate him to being a no. 2 or higher; I have no doubt whatsoever that Matusz's bag of tricks will get him at least to no. 2 status.

Depends on who you ask. Here's an article from someone who was at the game and didn't think it was all that impressive: http://www.camdenchat.com/2012/7/26/3188357/brian-matusz-and-the-danger-of-scouting-a-boxscore

Depends on who you ask. Here's an article from someone who was at the game and didn't think it was all that impressive: http://www.camdenchat.com/2012/7/26/3188357/brian-matusz-and-the-danger-of-scouting-a-boxscore

Interesting article. Also interesting that Keith Law said the problem with Matusz is make-up. I've never lent too much credence to that idea but then again I also have never really heard Buck or anyone really praise his mentality or approach in between starts, in fact at times Buck has made a point of saying Matusz needed to put the work in in between starts.

Maybe there's more to Matusz not having the right attitude than I thought. Of our 4 young pitchers, he's definitely at least the one with the most question marks in that area.

Down on the AAA-Farm

BRIAN MATUSZ

IP:O 6-Plus

H:o. 10 (10 Singles)

R:O. 6

ER:) 5

BB:. 1

SO:. 3

Pitches: 105 (64 Strikes, 41 Balls)

2012 ERA: 3.75 [AAA-Norfolk]

Matusz doesn't help the Orioles, and he can't even pitch well enough in the minors to raise what trade value he may have had. I hope Brian invested his signing bonus well, because I don't think baseball is going to work out for him.

Matusz doesn't help the Orioles, and he can't even pitch well enough in the minors to raise what trade value he may have had. I hope Brian invested his signing bonus well, because I don't think baseball is going to work out for him.

That's a little harsh to say at this point. He's still young.

Archived