Matusz Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best outing so far in relief today (8/22). Let's not hold our breath too long though, it's just one outing. Nonetheless, finally good to see. On the other side, Jake continues to confound me. 5 walks, 8 k's and only one hit? Is he trying to cute with his pitches or does he instead have some serious control issues? Brian is the guy who likes to get cute with his stuff, not sure about Jake.

sfosfan

Best outing so far in relief today (8/22). Let's not hold our breath too long though, it's just one outing. Nonetheless, finally good to see. On the other side, Jake continues to confound me. 5 walks, 8 k's and only one hit? Is he trying to cute with his pitches or does he instead have some serious control issues? Brian is the guy who likes to get cute with his stuff, not sure about Jake.

sfosfan

In Jake's thread, I just posted that 4 of the 5 walks that he gave up were in the 6th and final inning that he pitched:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/119667-JAKE-Today/page16

Before that, he pitched 5 shutout innings with only 1 walk and 7 strikeouts.

I don't know what happened in the 6th, when he gave up 4 consecutive walks, followed by a wild pitch.

In Jake's thread, I just posted that 4 of the 5 walks that he gave up were in the 6th and final inning that he pitched:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/119667-JAKE-Today/page16

Before that, he pitched 5 shutout innings with only 1 walk and 7 strikeouts.

I don't know what happened in the 6th, when he gave up 4 consecutive walks, followed by a wild pitch.

Good to know. I like that version much better. Hopefully just an oddity. ;)

sfosfan

Wow, you are tough. He strikes out the side and you rip him for not throwing enough strikes. I think he threw just the right amount. ;)

I meant in his relief outings. 10 out of 19 is only 53%. 9 out of 16 is 56%. Better. Ideally you'd like to see it over 60%, preferably in the 62-65% range.

BRIAN MATUSZ O(vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/24) *

IP:O 0.33

H:o. 0

R:O. 0

BB:. 0

SO:. 1

Pitches: 3 (3 Strikes, 0 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.40

* This was Matusz' major league debut pitching out of the bullpen. Previously, he had pitched in 68 games over 4 seasons, all of which were starts.

I woke up from my nap to see Matusz come on. That was the most dominant I can remember him looking ever. And definitely had the mentality about him of "one-two-three go the **** home."

For me, this is when I knew tonight was a win. It's really awesome to be able to "feel" like a win is going to happen again after all these years- it's been a loonnnggg time.

This was the best outcome possible for Matusz. I would be disappointed overall if the role "LOOGY" is all Matusz amounts to in his career after all that promise... but I'll take it for the final month of the season please :D

I was really hoping he would pitch that next inning. He could be incredibly valuable down a stretch run in that role, gaining confidence for next year as well.

I think they should let him try to go for a complete inning next, especially if the lineup at the start of the inning looks like L, L, L, or L, R, L. L, R, R is iffy... and don't bring him in against R, R, R.

Since Matusz is someone who was once an effective starter, I'm hoping to salvage more than a Clay Rapada out of him. I want a guy who can go 1 IP, not 0.1 (or 0.33 per OFFNY ;)).

Archived