Inside info confirmed: McGregor demoted

Frobby

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is definitely not a demotion. Just a reassignment, which will benefit the team more.

To me this looks like a demotion. Many of last year's Frederick pitching will be promoted to Bowie, the remaining will be at Frederick with the best like Beato promoted from DelMarva. It seems that Mazzone's and others? complaint about O's pitching prospects was that they had to be taught things that sould have been done in the Minors. Therefore, the O's may think that these two levels are the most important, particularly in regards to minor league call -ups.

Also, if McGregor has aspirations of being a big league coach or manager, this sure wouldn't help him do that (it is a demotion for sure in that case). Otherwise, if he really doesn't want to move up, and as intimated in earlier post(s), he wants to be with his family more - then this sounds like a reassignment.

Either way, just speculation at this point, but, I lean towards it being a demotion.

To me this looks like a demotion. Many of last year's Frederick pitching will be promoted to Bowie, the remaining will be at Frederick with the best like Beato promoted from DelMarva. It seems that Mazzone's and others? complaint about O's pitching prospects was that they had to be taught things that sould have been done in the Minors. Therefore, the O's may think that these two levels are the most important, particularly in regards to minor league call -ups.

Also, if McGregor has aspirations of being a big league coach or manager, this sure wouldn't help him do that (it is a demotion for sure in that case). Otherwise, if he really doesn't want to move up, and as intimated in earlier post(s), he wants to be with his family more - then this sounds like a reassignment.

Either way, just speculation at this point, but, I lean towards it being a demotion.

I tend to agree, though I certainly don't know. But here is another theory: there were several pitchers who were making significant strides at Frederick at the end of last season. They wil be promoted to Bowie this year. Perhaps the organization thinks they will benefit if they have the same coach this season that they had last year, just so that they are getting a consistent message and instruction.

I tend to agree, though I certainly don't know. But here is another theory: there were several pitchers who were making significant strides at Frederick at the end of last season. They wil be promoted to Bowie this year. Perhaps the organization thinks they will benefit if they have the same coach this season that they had last year, just so that they are getting a consistent message and instruction.

Kinda how Scotty Mac moved up from Frederick to Bowie when Loewen et al got promoted. ;)

Witchy

Kinda how Scotty Mac moved up from Frederick to Bowie when Loewen et al got promoted. ;)

Witchy

True dat. Now Scotty can start at the bottom and follow the kids up the ladder again.

This is actually pretty smart if it's what they're doing.

FWIW, if a player is sent down it's a demotion. Why in the case of a coach do we get all p.c., change the semantics, and call it a reasssignment?

Maybe he likes working with the kids, and isn't aspiring to be a major league coach. I think minor league players all hope to make the majors. He could be like the coach in Major League 3 Back to the Minors. Obviously this is just conjecture though.

FWIW, if a player is sent down it's a demotion. Why in the case of a coach do we get all p.c., change the semantics, and call it a reasssignment?

Because it's a completely different scenario with completely different circumstances.

Maybe it really is a demotion, or maybe the O's just prefer to have McGregor working with the younger kids. Or maybe McGregor would rather just work the short season. There's nothing "PC" about it.

IMOP, the promotion of the Frederick manager and pitching coach is because they have performed well (at least with the development of the young pitchers). Also, IMOP if this is the reason that McGregor was reassigned, then why not have him go to Norfolk (a promotion) or at least to Frederick where there are still highly touted pitching prospects?

Again, unless McGregor asked for this assignment, it looks like a demotion. Of course, I don't really know either, so, just speculating.

He was and was very nice!!! I dont think this is good!:(

Maybe Maduro will go to Delmarva and Steenstra will go to Frederick? We'll have to see what happens.

If Calvin is a good coach I'm sure they'll find a place for him. Good PCs are hard to find.

This is just my two cents. I'm not sure how or why this would be considered a demotion. It sounds simply like they are matching MacGregor's skill set to MacGregor's job.

As for it being a short season, I'm sure MacGregor will have plenty to do for the full season and then some.

As for Sir Calvin, the Ironbirds have pitched pretty well for him.

Because it's a completely different scenario with completely different circumstances.

Maybe it really is a demotion, or maybe the O's just prefer to have McGregor working with the younger kids. Or maybe McGregor would rather just work the short season. There's nothing "PC" about it.

in general, coaches don't change much in Baltimore, that is until the last two seasons. Can someone tell me the last time, for example, a coach from our AA or below leapfrogged a coach at AAA to the Orioles coaching staff?

Archived