Incredible!

GO_Orioles!

Frustrated Dad here so please forgive the rant,

David Baker has been told that the Orioles don't have him as a future starting pitcher but yet he continues to prove himself i.e. tonight's game,

I guess new management has a crystal ball that tells them this. after a phenominal season last season he's been delegated to middle relief pitcher.

Damn, it pays to have the title prospect attached to your name even if you have a high era.

I'm not concerned with speculation or trolls but feel as I though I call it as I see it.

Professional baseball is tough!

Signed

Jilted Dad

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone understands.

The only thing he can do is to prove them wrong by how he pitches. Managers tell people they send to the minor leagues all the time: Force my hand. If he pitches well, they will almost certainly change their minds. If they don't, some other team in baseball will notice and give him the chance.

Besides, look at it this way: It's even more motivation!

You certainly have every right to feel that way - and not just because he's your son. David put up very solid numbers at his 2 stops last year as a starter, so I was a but surprised to see that he was not a starter again this season.

How is his work coming along on expanding his repertoire? I read somewhere along the way that he was working on developing a slider to go with his 91-94mph fastball and that big slow curve? Could it be that the O's feel like he needs that 3rd offering in order to be effective at more advanced levels as a starter?

As the previous poster said, hopefully David can spin this into a motivating factor to help culture his development and show the O's just what he's capable of. Good luck!

You see this all the time. Look at Brad Bergesen's road to the majors. No one ever put him on a prospect list, but he made it further than most players do.

David's in good company. Other players that are pitching out of their minds and not getting a lot of support: Devin Jones, Socolovich, Clark, Burke, Newby, Gurka, Villareal, Egan, Fowler, Bywater... list goes on.

It does seem odd that a team without a whole lot of starting pitching depth would take a young guy like David and make him a reliever, considering his past success.

I mean, look at some of the starters in Frederick and Bowie...not a whole lot of talent there...

It does seem odd that a team without a whole lot of starting pitching depth would take a young guy like David and make him a reliever, considering his past success.

I mean, look at some of the starters in Frederick and Bowie...not a whole lot of talent there...

Hopefully your son can show the O's that he is a starter. Hope it works out for him and you.

This is common.

I used to have IronBirds tickets, and many times players' family would sit around us. One time I struck up a conversation with a pitcher's family, and he was telling me how in the minors, its not quite the team atmosphere. Everyone is looking out for their best/own interest and how they can move up through the organization. On on hand, its a shame. On the other hand, I completely understand the motivation. These guys know their chances are slim and the window of opportunity is short, so they do what they have to do to advance.

David Baker has been told that the Orioles don't have him as a future starting pitcher but yet he continues to prove himself i.e. tonight's game,

I guess new management has a crystal ball that tells them this. after a phenominal season last season he's been delegated to middle relief pitcher.

Damn, it pays to have the title prospect attached to your name even if you have a high era.

I'm not concerned with speculation or trolls but feel as I though I call it as I see it.

Signed

Jilted Dad

Tood Rundgren told a similar tale. Sorry to hear that. David Hernandez was in a similar position and worked his way to a nice major league role.

I raised this about two weeks ago:

David Baker had a very successful season as a starter last year -- 2.45 ERA at Aberdeen, 2.82 ERA at Delmarva at age 20. I see this year he is pitching at Delmarva out of the bullpen. Why was he moved to the pen after putting up good numbers as a starter? Was he hurt at the start of the year? I see he didn't debut until May 6 this season.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/122242-Question-about-David-Baker?highlight=baker

I do think that management looks at more than just numbers and success in the low minors in deciding who has a potential future as a major league starter. So, the O's may have vaild reasons for thinking that David is more likely to develop as a reliever. But if so, I'd like to know what those reasons are.

Signed

Jilted Dad

Mr. Baker,

I think everyone understands your frustration and I'm sure David is frustrated as well. As I'm sure you know by now, there are major politics involved with minor league systems when it comes to getting opportunities. Players who have money invested in them will always get opportunities over other players until they prove they don't deserve those opportunities. I've never seen David pitch, but the reports I got on him focused on his very good fastball command, but I was left with the feeling that that the scouts I talked to felt his stuff was below average overall.

Saying that, starting with outstanding fastball command is a good start and David has the frame that could indicate he's got more in that arm. Just because he doesn't have an opportunity right now does not mean he won't get another opportunity shortly. All he can do is keep pitching well when he gets his opportunities and go from there.

I also understand that David was a bit sore this spring and that got him behind some others due to that "soreness." The Orioles could be just cautious right now with him. Saying that, if they truly think he's a major league prospect, even as a reliever, they will find him an opportunity to start at his age.

I certainly understand after the year David had last year that he would think he would continue to get an opportunity to start this year. I don't have any reports on him this year so I don't know if his velocity has backed up or what, but if he starts throwing like he did last year, I'm betting an opportunity to start over the second half of this season could materialize at some point.

The good news in all of this is if he's good enough, he will eventually get an opportunity, but as you know by now, he may need some breaks for that to happen sooner.

Hmmm... maybe I'm missing something but his actual Dad might find the above kinda'...perhaps...maybe a bit... insulting. Just sayin'

Uhh...it was just a joke...hence the emoticons.

Sorry Mr. Baker, no offense was intended....just joking around...

Actually, I'd like to apologize to the whole OH community for that joke...it was classless and uncalled for and not meant to harm anyone. After looking at it, I can see why anyone would be offended, especially when Mr. Baker started this thread. I don't know what came over me to post something like that, because I try very hard not to be offensive...it goes against my nature and my beliefs.

How do you figure? David Hernandez was an overslot late round pick who started virtually every game he ever appeared in, in the minors.

The strange thing is that Baker pitched very well as a starter last year.

Sure. You are right. I just meant at the time there were some prospect names that seemed to be ahead of him on the chart that David continuously out pitched. My bad.

Archived