Hoes is heating up

Frobby

Hoes went 2 for 4 last night to extend his hit streak to 20 games, tied for longest in the IL this year and 4th longest in Tides history. His slash line is now .324/.379/.468.

Hoes and Avery are prime-time trade bait. Would not be surprised to see one of them in a different organization by August.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sure hope not. What a waste of scarce positional talent.

At the major league level we have 2110 locked into CF/RF. Davis is being tried out in LF, which will probably end ugly, but he is at least there. Chavez, Pearce, Andino, and Flaherty can also cover in the OF if necessary. We have Avery/Hoes/Urrutia in the minors. There are also Hoffmann/McLouth for injury replacements at Norfolk.

While I don't want to give up Avery/Hoes for nothing, I know that we have to give up talent to get talent.

At the major league level we have 2110 locked into CF/RF. Davis is being tried out in LF, which will probably end ugly, but he is at least there. Chavez, Pearce, Andino, and Flaherty can also cover in the OF if necessary. We have Avery/Hoes/Urrutia in the minors. There are also Hoffmann/McLouth for injury replacements at Norfolk.

While I don't want to give up Avery/Hoes for nothing, I know that we have to give up talent to get talent.

What kind of talent are they going to bring? I'd much rather have Avery and Hoes holding down LF/4th OF at near-zero cost with good production than sell them off for some quixotic short-term help.

And if you have to give up minor leaguers in a trade, the obvious place to start is where you have a surplus. They are outfielders who aren't known for hitting for power.

Baseball reference has him with a .939 FP, 4.05 RF, and 49 DPs in 107 games at Delmarva in 2009.

They have him with a .971 FP, 5.05 RF and 53 DP's in 79 games in Frederick in 2010.

In 2011 he played 25 games at 2B before he was switched/promoted.

Those stats show that he improved significantly from 2009 to 2010.

Yeah, my stats are correct but I got the years wrong. What I called 2009 was really 2010 and what I called 2010 was really 2011. sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoes just went through a very tough stretch where he went 2 for 28 over 8 games, but has gotten back on track the last two nights, going 5 for 6 with 3 walks. Even in his 8-game slump, he managed to walk 6 times. There had been a couple of comments that his OBP in AAA had been largely driven by his high BA, but he's now got a 73-point spread between his .302 BA and his .375 OBP. Hopefully, the last two nights signal the start of another tear.

Archived