Hoes is heating up

Frobby

I am fine with McLouth and Ford platooning LF, but if the Orioles wanted to DFA Ford and bring Hoes up to play LF with McLouth I would be fine with that as well. I would like Hoes to go to Instructional League this year and play 2B the entire time. It can't hurt to come into Spring Training looking at him as a candidate in LF and 2B.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am fine with McLouth and Ford platooning LF, but if the Orioles wanted to DFA Ford and bring Hoes up to play LF with McLouth I would be fine with that as well. I would like Hoes to go to Instructional League this year and play 2B the entire time. It can't hurt to come into Spring Training looking at him as a candidate in LF and 2B.

Not a bad idea, this kid deserves a shot now or very soon from now.

Hoes' slash line over the last 10: .462/.553/.487. Pretty ridiculous.

.319/.395/.417 since his promotion to Norfolk.

Considering his age and the park, I'm not too concerned about the lack of power. With his contact rate and his patience, even 20-30 doubles and 8-12 home runs would be plenty. Anything else is gravy.

Ichiro-lite?

Considering his age and the park, I'm not too concerned about the lack of power.

Anyone should feel free to correct me if this is wrong, but I thought the Norfolk park effect that depressed home runs was most pronounced in April and May. After that it subsides. Is it not a wind direction thing during certain months?

Hoes now hitting .322/.395/.410/.805 in AAA, he now has over 800 at-bats between AA-AAA. What was DD magic number for At-Bats? When the rosters expand I hope he gets a chance to come up and play. Right now Chris Davis is in one of his miserable slumps -- that could change at any moment of course, but Hoes could be picking up some RH at-bats in either LF or DH.

Someone brought up in another thread about possibly having Hoes play 2B in the Arizona Fall League. I hope the O's go along with this thinking, because if he could play half-way decent at that position, it sure would solve a big issue going into next year.

Yeah, I would almost rather he go to Instructional League or have him work directly with Mike Bordick or someone, then go to the AFL to play 2B.

Yeah, I would almost rather he go to Instructional League or have him work directly with Mike Bordick or someone, then go to the AFL to play 2B.

I just can't imagine they would have moved him from 2B to LF if they thought he had a chance to play a solid 2B. It's much more premium of a position. Still, if possible, the line-up for 2013 would be pretty much set with room for one large bat at 1B or DH.

1. LF- Xavier Avery

2. 2B- L.J. Hoes

3. RF- Nick Markakis

4. CF- Adam Jones

5. DH/1B- FREE AGENT/TRADE

6. C- Matt Wieters

7. 3B- Manny Machado

8. DH/1B- Chris Davis

9. SS- J.J. Hardy

I just can't imagine they would have moved him from 2B to LF if they thought he had a chance to play a solid 2B. It's much more premium of a position. Still, if possible, the line-up for 2013 would be pretty much set with room for one large bat at 1B or DH.

1. LF- Xavier Avery

2. 2B- L.J. Hoes

3. RF- Nick Markakis

4. CF- Adam Jones

5. DH/1B- FREE AGENT/TRADE

6. C- Matt Wieters

7. 3B- Manny Machado

8. DH/1B- Chris Davis

9. SS- J.J. Hardy

I would like to see how the rest of the season pans out with Mark Reynolds, Nate McLouth, and Omar Quintanilla. I also really want to see how a couple of AAA bats look the rest of the year. I still believe Ryan Adams could be a useful part of this team next year.

I would like to see how the rest of the season pans out with Mark Reynolds, Nate McLouth, and Omar Quintanilla. I also really want to see how a couple of AAA bats look the rest of the year. I still believe Ryan Adams could be a useful part of this team next year.

I'm not sold on McLouth. I'd like to see him as a 4th OFer, but not as a starter. Quintanilla is fine for 2B if Hoes can't pull it with the spot for Schoop if/when he earns it. As for Reynolds, he can fill that remaining hole if he resigns for a discount. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind giving it to Reimold.

Hoes can play LF for me any day of the week. He's not going to hit for a ton of power yet, but he'll hit for average and get on base. That's what the O's need right now.

His profile reminds me of Dion James, a very productive outfielder who played for the Brewers and other teams back in the 1980s. Guys like that are perpetually underrated but they help teams win.

Archived