Hoes is heating up

Frobby

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoes has a great way of putting balls in play.

......*cricket*.......*cricket*......

But seriously, glad to see he is doing well and would love to see him and Avery battling it out for the LF job in Baltimore!

I wonder why Hoes has never gotten a chance at third base? He is a good athlete with a high baseball IQ. Sure he might not have power but he gets in base. If he could give us above average D at the position his bat would be just fine.

If I recall correctly he has played a little 3B in the past few years, apparently didn't impress.

The only problem with Hoes is that he doesn't have any one standout natural tool. He doesn't hit for a lot of power, he doesn't have a great arm, he doesn't have great speed or quickness. Ideally he would be a nice 2B but he doesn't have the quickness to play there. So he will be a left fielder who doesn't hit for much power. His OBP would be a great benefit to this team, however.

For a team in bad need of someone who can get on base at the top of their order (**correction: anywhere in their order**) Hoes could be making a legitimate run at getting himself some big league time. The only question is whether he can adjust quickly enough to stay? Either way, I say bring him up and put him in left field everyday and bat him second for a month.

For a team in bad need of someone who can get on base at the top of their order (**correction: anywhere in their order**) Hoes could be making a legitimate run at getting himself some big league time. The only question is whether he can adjust quickly enough to stay? Either way, I say bring him up and put him in left field everyday and bat him second for a month.

Lots of people forget, he is still only 22 yrs. old. I think as he gets older, he will never be a superstar, but will turn out be a very vaulable, Tony Phillips type player. Or, on a good day, he could turn out to be Marquis Grissom.

Man I just wish he had *some* power... he's a gap hitter, no?

The only problem with Hoes is that he doesn't have any one standout natural tool. He doesn't hit for a lot of power, he doesn't have a great arm, he doesn't have great speed or quickness. Ideally he would be a nice 2B but he doesn't have the quickness to play there. So he will be a left fielder who doesn't hit for much power. His OBP would be a great benefit to this team, however.

Here is what we've gotten from LF, other than Reimold: .196/.250/.286. The bar is not set very high. If Hoes could put up a .330 OBP, I wouldn't care if every hit was a single, I would take it. However, I'd like to see him perform in AAA for another 4 weeks or so before considering a call-up. And let's not forget that Avery has a .372 OBP in Norfolk right now, including .389 in June and .438 in his last 10 games. He also brings the speed tool that Hoes doesn't have (at least, not much).

Archived