O's making trade (O's acquire Thome)

xian4

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haa Reynolds?.. he has 6 HRs this year, Thome has 5 with hardly any ABs.

Sorry, terrible trade. I just realized the other player was Simon a 4th round pick last year who is starting in Frederick. This team will never improve by trading prospects for DH rentals. Not to mention it moves Reynolds or Davis (or Betemit) out of the lineup.

Sorry, terrible trade. I just realized the other player was Simon a 4th round pick last year who is starting in Frederick. This team will never improve by trading prospects for DH rentals. Not to mention it moves Reynolds or Davis (or Betemit) out of the lineup.

Even though Simon was 4th round he doesnt have much upside.

I like the trade. The way I see it Thome is an upgrade from Johnson, can't hurt if he DH's vs RHP. Plus he is HOF to be and a great clubhouse presence. Someone will have to go from the position player/bench when Markakis returns. I hope it's not Avery but it will be most likely. However I think this is just the begining of moves by DD, so we shalls see.

I like the trade. The way I see it Thome is an upgrade from Johnson, can't hurt if he DH's vs RHP. Plus he is HOF to be and a great clubhouse presence. Someone will have to go from the position player/bench when Markakis returns. I hope it's not Avery but it will be most likely. However I think this is just the begining of moves by DD, so we shalls see.

I agree. Garza/Greinke/Dempster are next.

Even though Simon was 4th round he doesnt have much upside.

How do you feel about trading Lino for a DH when the team has 5? Hopefully Lino doesnt become a good player and the trade becomes a wash. I still would rather kept him.

I like Thome and don't mind giving up Lino, but we've already got a ton of 1B/DH guys. This deal doesn't make sense unless there's another on the way.

Exactly my views. We are overcrowded at 1B/DH. I hope another move is coming.

I hate this trade. What does Jim Thome bring to this team that Nick Johnson doesn't? And for two guys with upside, too.

Still small potatoes. But this doesn't bode well - I see Schoop, Steve Johnson, and LJ Hoes for Dempster in our future...

This team hasn't had a winning season in 14 years. When you have a shot after all that, you have to take it. We may have 4 DH's, but Thome is better than any of the one's we have now. He's what this team has lacked for years, a professional hitter.

Nick Johnson is gone and Thome is certainly a huge upgrade there. Gonzalez was pulled from his start today, so I expect him to replace Hunter with Eveland returning to the bullpen. I would not be surprised to see Matusz demoted soon with Tillman or a trade target replacing him in the rotation. I doubt that Arrieta is safe either.

I don't think you can look the guys on this team in the eye, if you're Dan Duquette, and say you and this season don't matter. It doesn't only have to be about Machado and Bundy and 2014.

Archived