vs. INDIANS 7/01

OFFNY

Probably my imagination, but I though Matusz finished last inning a little crisper with his off speed and breaking pitches working for strikes...but probably my imagination...Hope a light went on.

Hey may have Roy, but even if he did, Flaherty and Davis might just make it academic.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably my imagination, but I though Matusz finished last inning a little crisper with his off speed and breaking pitches working for strikes...but probably my imagination...Hope a light went on.

Unfortunately BMat is one of those guys that either makes great pitches or meatballs. He is always going to tease us with his stuff but I am starting to believe he is nothing more than a 5th starter on a good team.

Here comes Buck.

I hope he sends Matusz, Eveland, Hunter, and Gregg down to Norfolk RIGHT NOW.

Heck send them to Delmarva, they have been losing so badly they need some help. They had lost 7 straight before winning yesterday.

Unfortunately BMat is one of those guys that either makes great pitches or meatballs. He is always going to tease us with his stuff but I am starting to believe he is nothing more than a 5th starter on a good team.

Are you serious? On a good team he wouldn't even be on the roster. Brian Matusz does not make the roster of the Yankees.

On a BAD team he may be around as the 5th starter. Which is what he is doing right now with the Orioles...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• But you’re saying he’s the equivalent to a 5-7 round pick without knowing anything about him.  
    • I thought this might be a good place to briefly synopsis the various Negro Lesgues.  I’m by no means an expert on the topic.   Generally speaking, these leagues did not play uniform schedules.  That is, all teams did not play the same number of games, and in some cases, discrepancies were large. The Negro National League played from 1920 to 1931.   It normally played 82-102 games a year, but only played 60 in its final year of existence.  23 different teams played in this league at different times, but never more than 8-9 at a time.   The Negro National League II ran from 1933-48.  It played 55-91 games a year, usually somewhere in the high 60’s/low 70’s. 12 different teams played in that league, anywhere from 6-9 teams a year. The Negro American League existed from 1937-48.  It played from 47-114 games per year, over 100 in its final five years.  14 different teams played in this league, never more than 8 at a time, and 6 for most of its existence.   The Eastern Colored League played from  1923-28, playing 34-90 games per year.  Ten teams played in this league, 5-8 at a time.   The American Negro League played one season, 1929, and had six teams playing 66-80 games. The East-West League played one season, 1932, and its 8 teams played between 4 and 55 games.   The Negro Southern League played one season, 1932, and its 11 teams played between 8 and 50 games.   A useful Wikipedia entry on the history of the Negro Leagues can be found here.  
    • Baker.  That’s one of those depth pieces you were talking about.  8.47 ERA and a 1.71 WHIP in AAA.   How do you like him now?
    • Rod Carew was the original Tony Gwynn by the happenstance of when I was born, and I'd guess there were other hit 'em where they ain't guys before Wee Willie Keeler. Luis Arraez today is so much fun as a rarer outlier as Turn and Burn has basically been proven to be run favorable in general. I do think Sigbots value the Nori Aoki/Adam Frazier-y skillset as more resilient against the best of Kyle Boddy's brightest pupils. Best on Best in October is when baseball gifts amazing competitions, and Soto beating all of Hader, Kershaw and Cole to drag that almost failed Strasburg-Bryce-Scherzer roster to its one shining moment is one of the most brilliant runs I've seen. Corbin Burnes is probably the best pitcher in the league (sorry, Seth Lugo) but I'll feel like he's a touchdown underdog in the basic building block of the pitcher-hitter matchup.
    • It's not just tv hits like the one on MLB Network comparing the two.  I was a lot less happy to see a comparison between Soto and GH when it is Scott Boras doing it:  
    • 18.2 K/9 in the FCL equivalent. Honestly, who knows?  I guess you can say that about every player that young. Also, outside of Carter Baumler and Zac Showalter, we haven’t drafted a HS pitcher, so we’re all a little rusty on evaluating that league.  His numbers in the ACL look similar to Baumler’s and Showalter’s at the same age.  They got big money. So there is that.  Showalter Player Page https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=showal000zac   Baumler Player Page https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=baumle000car   Someone in Florida will get a report on this kid. He definitely didn’t get the combined millions that Baumler and Showalter did. 
  • Popular Contributors