"Scott-Friendly" Game Thread Week: vs. MARINERS 7/02

OFFNY

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you do not like the thread, IGNORE it. Why is this concept so difficult? I find angry and "reactionary" posts such as EutawBomber's refreshing after such a screwed up and anger-evoking loss. Unless it is Tony or one of the mods, can the positivity police go bother someone else? It is not like there are 20 threads like this.

Seems like at least two a day lately.

You'd honestly rather see Roberts? I realize that Roberts is the veteran and he will get the playing time he has earned over the years, but right now he's simply not getting it done. Yes, he's probably better defensively, but right now this offense is beyond terrible and we need someone who can hit. Granted, Andino isn't setting the world on fire, but Roberts is hitting .182 through 17 games without an extra base hit. He's nowhere near the Brian Roberts of old (at least not right now) and even though .227 is pretty putrid, it beats the hell outta .182.

Roberts will start the majority of the games, as he should since he has earned that right over the years. He will probably heat up and start looking more like the sparkplug of the offense that he used to be. But saying that you never want to see Andino again is pretty reactionary if you ask me. He had a rough night. Everybody does. Do you not want Buck to manage another game because he left Hammel in too long? Everybody makes mistakes.

But honestly don't even worry about it. With the way the team is playing, you won't have to worry about who is playing because we'll be right back in the oh so familiar basement. And I say that in the least reactionary and least hypocritical way possible.

I honestly would. You're all missing the point! This was a day off for Brian on a Monday west coast game! Gar-ron-teed.

Andino had a TERRIBLE game but it's just that. One game. You think Brian ole's it backhand tomorrow? Think Brian catches that bullet from Matt? ;)

Bad luck game. Whaddaya got tomorrow?

Look at my post history. I don't just hover over my computer waiting for something to pounce on. But that said, the best way to not see a thread like this is for the Orioles to stop playing like they have the worst offense, defense, and starting rotation in baseball. I don't expect them to win every game. But I expect them to perform like major leaguers. Just play the game right and these threads go away.

When Andino can't even manage to catch a ball thrown directly into his glove, didn't you just know they were going to blow it this inning. This team deserves last place. Fortunately for them they will be there in no time.

Well it's not just that one play. When you have enough defensive misplays and errors eventually it'll come back and get you. It's the law of averages. Maybe in a timed sport where you could try to limit the other team's possession time you could get away with it, but in baseball you have to get 27 outs, you can't go giving outs away willy nilly.

It's a long season. Maybe things will get better. But if this is indeed the real Orioles, I really fear for the future because the next few years won't be looking so good.

Perhaps that's because there should be. This team is flat out terrible right now. We were lucky Davis hit a HR; otherwise it probably would have been shut out. 3 hits against a Mariner long reliever making his first start? The guy could barely find the strike zone after the first few innings. Horrible hitting backed by horrible defense. Ugh.

Can't peg this one on Hammel.

Tolleson played a lot of 2nd base in the minors and some with the A's and has shown defensive talent at third for us. He can hit better than either Flaherty or Andino. FGS let Flaherty return to the Cubs!

Flaherty's MiL #s suggests there's more to him than what we've seen, and he's put up better #s in the minors than any of Tolleson, Andino, or BRob, for that matter.

I have a hard time believing he's really a .450 OPS guy at the ML level. Give him an extended stay at 2B and let's see what happens. It paid off with Chris Davis. God knows we've got nothing to lose, you're not far from the floor when you're running Robert Andino/the current version of Brian Roberts out there every day.

I honestly would. You're all missing the point! This was a day off for Brian on a Monday west coast game! Gar-ron-teed.

Yeah I get that, that's why I said that he'll get the majority of the starts, which I'm fine with. I just don't see why everybody wants to kill Andino all of a sudden. Probably because the team is tanking and they'll jump on anyone who contributes to that. Frustration has been building for a while and its starting to boil over I guess.

Perhaps that's because there should be. This team is flat out terrible right now. We were lucky Davis hit a HR; otherwise it probably would have been shut out. 3 hits against a Mariner long reliever making his first start? The guy could barely find the strike zone after the first few innings. Horrible hitting backed by horrible defense. Ugh.

Can't peg this one on Hammel.

...and more poor approaches by our hitters, too. Adam Jones swinging at the first pitch on his first two at bats against a pitcher struggling in the strike zone? Just a poor, poor approach. It really is maddening right now.

We had an opportunity to put up a W today, be 5 GB from the Yanks, and go 7 games above .500. Instead, we're 6 GB, 5 games above .500, and setting ourselves up for more failure against King Felix tomorrow.

Yeah I get that, that's why I said that he'll get the majority of the starts, which I'm fine with. I just don't see why everybody wants to kill Andino all of a sudden. Probably because the team is tanking and they'll jump on anyone who contributes to that. Frustration has been building for a while and its starting to boil over I guess.

Ok. :) I was trying to defend Andino a little bit, maybe I didn't say it so well. I mean, he real bad right now. I'm stumped as to why. I'll take Brian. I'd trust him in the field 100 X right now! And Brian can't be any worse at bat.

Ok. :) I was trying to defend Andino a little bit, maybe I didn't say it so well. I mean, he real bad right now. I'm stumped as to why. I'll take Brian. I'd trust him in the field 100 X right now! And Brian can't be any worse at bat.

I gotcha, no worries..I think we can all agree that this team needs some sort of a wakeup call, regardless of what it is :)

...and more poor approaches by our hitters, too. Adam Jones swinging at the first pitch on his first two at bats against a pitcher struggling in the strike zone? Just a poor, poor approach. It really is maddening right now.

We had an opportunity to put up a W today, be 5 GB from the Yanks, and go 7 games above .500. Instead, we're 6 GB, 5 games above .500, and setting ourselves up for more failure against King Felix tomorrow.

Not sure if that was his game plan going into the game or what, but by his second at bat he should have seen that the guy was on the wild side and shown some patience.

Archived