"Scott-Friendly" Game Thread Week: vs. MARINERS 7/02

OFFNY

I didn't say that they'd go down in order. Just that those would be the 3 outs.

It doesn't matter anyways. It just sucked all around. Started off feeling so great about Hammel's performance. The Andino play, Buck mismanaging by leaving Hammel in when he was clearly gassed, and then our offense being stagnant once again is just so tough to swallow...especially with King Felix starting tomorrow. Completely falling apart.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hidden behind buck leaving hammel in too long, andino's terrible defense (and approach at the plate lately) and Patton giving up back to back bombs is still how terrible our offense has been. We still only had three hits against a spot starter! We needed a win like this to get our guys to relax at the plate more. Instead I fear that they will be more anxious at the plate -- not good for a team that seems like they average 10Ks a game.

Yep. That's why I said very little and not none.

Hammel did everything he could possibly do with a terrible defense behind him. Feel really bad for him' date=' Andino might have just cost him an All-star bid. Terrible, terrible, terrible.......this team should be embarrassed. We can't hit, we can't field and 3/5's of our rotation can't pitch.

We will be under .500 by the week after the all-star break.[/quote']

Stop giving Hammel a pass.If he wouldn't have walked some of the worst hitters in the majors,Andino couldn't have screwed the pooch.

I didn't say that they'd go down in order. Just that those would be the 3 outs.

It doesn't matter anyways. It just sucked all around. Started off feeling so great about Hammel's performance. The Andino play, Buck mismanaging by leaving Hammel in when he was clearly gassed, and then our offense being stagnant once again is just so tough to swallow...especially with King Felix starting tomorrow. Completely falling apart.

Indeed, really rough game. With that Mariners lineup and Jason Hammel on the mound 3 runs really should be enough, and in retrospect, they still should've been enough.

I've never jumped on the Andino bandwagon so I'm allowed to say this: the guy is just not a very good baseball player.

I have (weakly--it's not easy to mount a case for a guy with a sub .450 OPS) defended Ryan Flaherty so I'm allowed to say this: I'd rather start him at 2B than Andino.

This had to be Andino's worst game as a major leaguer. He looks lethargic in the field and at the plate. Almost like he is playing in slow motion. As Jim Palmer just said..."he is not the same player we saw in 2011." Buck just said on the postgame that Andino has played a great 2B this year and just missed it. He missed two tonight Buck. When Gary Thorne asked him about the defense tonight he talks about the Pearce play in LF and didn't look like he wanted to say anything about Andino. Really tough loss tonight. In spite of only getting 3 hits we still should have won this game.

Wow, the batter in front of you in the ninth inning, down by three runs, draws a walk and you just swing away into a double-play (altho I was surprised that Wieters almost beat it out).

What a stupid game, not allowing our ace to come thru for the team (and his All-Star chances).

I don't think he necessarily hurt his chances tonight. He pitched an amazing game. OFFNY kept posting save us again, Jason! And he did. And he did. And he didn't...

If you do not like the thread, IGNORE it. Why is this concept so difficult? I find angry and "reactionary" posts such as EutawBomber's refreshing after such a screwed up and anger-evoking loss. Unless it is Tony or one of the mods, can the positivity police go bother someone else? It is not like there are 20 threads like this.

When Andino can't even manage to catch a ball thrown directly into his glove, didn't you just know they were going to blow it this inning. This team deserves last place. Fortunately for them they will be there in no time.

Actually no. While that play was horrible, and so are the Orioles, if Buck doesn't leave a gassed Hammel out there odds are we win.

Look with Matusz and Arrieta, 2 keys of the season failing I don't expect this team to compete. Combined that with the 14 years of losing and that this team is playing awful right now I don't blame anyone for getting chippy. All I am doing is disagreeing with the premise of your thread.

Indeed, really rough game. With that Mariners lineup and Jason Hammel on the mound 3 runs really should be enough, and in retrospect, they still should've been enough.

I've never jumped on the Andino bandwagon so I'm allowed to say this: the guy is just not a very good baseball player.

I have (weakly--it's not easy to mount a case for a guy with a sub .450 OPS) defended Ryan Flaherty so I'm allowed to say this: I'd rather start him at 2B than Andino.

Tolleson played a lot of 2nd base in the minors and some with the A's and has shown defensive talent at third for us. He can hit better than either Flaherty or Andino. FGS let Flaherty return to the Cubs!

Stop giving Hammel a pass.If he wouldn't have walked some of the worst hitters in the majors,Andino couldn't have screwed the pooch.

Get real! Hammel pitched into the 7th with the lead!

I don't crucify him for it but Andino truly lost this game for us tonight. On two plays in the field and many ABs. The ABs... many Orioles didn't hit... He is just LOST in the field. Deer in the headlights. Cliche away, I got no more.

I don't want to see Andino in another game. Single-handedly cost us the game because he CAN'T CATCH. Can't field and Can't throw is bad enough, and now he can't even catch a ball.

You'd honestly rather see Roberts? I realize that Roberts is the veteran and he will get the playing time he has earned over the years, but right now he's simply not getting it done. Yes, he's probably better defensively, but right now this offense is beyond terrible and we need someone who can hit. Granted, Andino isn't setting the world on fire, but Roberts is hitting .182 through 17 games without an extra base hit. He's nowhere near the Brian Roberts of old (at least not right now) and even though .227 is pretty putrid, it beats the hell outta .182.

Roberts will start the majority of the games, as he should since he has earned that right over the years. He will probably heat up and start looking more like the sparkplug of the offense that he used to be. But saying that you never want to see Andino again is pretty reactionary if you ask me. He had a rough night. Everybody does. Do you not want Buck to manage another game because he left Hammel in too long? Everybody makes mistakes.

But honestly don't even worry about it. With the way the team is playing, you won't have to worry about who is playing because we'll be right back in the oh so familiar basement. And I say that in the least reactionary and least hypocritical way possible.

I just think that Andino has been completely overvalued by Buck. He's no nugget.

It's not just Andino we've been stuck with. Flaherty is his new "project" and we can't bench Roberts. I'd bet that Tolleson can outplay all three of them right now.

It's not just Andino we've been stuck with. Flaherty is his new "project" and we can't bench Roberts. I'd bet that Tolleson can outplay all three of them right now.

Well, the real issue here is that we had to use Andino in a full time role due to Roberts injury. It forced us to hold an extra roster spot for Roberts, get a guy like Flaherty for backup usage, and slot Andino in a full time capacity. It's not Bulk's fault, it's the lack of depth in the minors and a hamstrung roster.

Archived