Orioles are "going hard" after Zack Greinke

Greg

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From another site ...But interesting ...Schoop Matusz and a 3rd player ???

Probably not far from the truth

The offer, if true at all, is nothing but a token deal done to save face with Brewer fans, just like the ones given to Sabathia and Fielder.

I think the Orioles are the ones that wind up with Greinke, in a deal that looks a lot like Matusz, Schoop and a 3rd player coming Milwaukee’s way.

by backtocali on Jul 14, 2012 9:46 AM EDT up reply

I hope so

as an O’s fan. I keep getting this feeling as well, though I think it’s more of a dream for me. That deal works for me, and I think Greinke is someone who could fit well in Baltimore.

by Blaine Blontz on Jul 14, 2012 10:18 AM EDT up reply

Brian Matusz

He’s a great trade chip to have in this year’s market. I know he was pretty much the worst pitcher ever last year and is struggling again this season, but it sounds like every team is expecting some major league talent to come back in any trade they accept.

Not many teams out there are willing to blow it up, rebuild and just take on a bunch of prospects. Matusz is 25 and just a couple years removed from being a top-five prospect. Maybe a change of scenery is exactly what he needs.

by Tom Froemming on Jul 14, 2012 10:50 AM EDT reply

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/7/14/3158808/brewers-rumors-milwaukee-willing-to-offer-100-million-to-zack-greinke

That trade would forever shatter any trust I would have in DD and Buck.

It's just idle musing, and not even by the guy responsible for writing the blurb. Some random poster suggested the Matusz/Schoop/+ combo, and the writer chimed in about Matusz possibly needing a change of scenery.

I'd hate the trade as well, but I'm not worried.

It's just idle musing, and not even by the guy responsible for writing the blurb. Some random poster suggested the Matusz/Schoop/+ combo, and the writer chimed in about Matusz possibly needing a change of scenery.

I'd hate the trade as well, but I'm not worried.

Not worried either, I stated earlier that this recent stretch of bad play should keep the O's out of buyer status.

Would be an incredibly bad trade tho.

Is it a bad trade if Greinke signs a extension?

Yep. I'm sure most would agree (though probably for somewhat different reasons...I don't value Schoop THAT highly, but Greinke's splits and issues are just...too much. The O's wouldn't be served well by investing that kind of money in that kind of player AND giving up MiLers (plus Matusz) for the privilege of doing so).

I like Matusz and think Schoop could be our 2B of the future, but if they offer us Greinke with a window to extend (which we are able to take advantage of and actually extend him) for the two of them plus Mahoney or someone else, then I'm all for it. Greinke is a proven commodity. Matusz and Schoop are guys that could one day be good. And I'd love to see a day when they are good in an Oriole uniform, but that day may never come. One in the hand is better than two in the bush. If we can sign Greinke to a long-term extension (I know this could be a big if), then he's much better than anyone currently in our organization. He's who we hope that Bundy turns into. I mean, we may get something better out of Bundy, but if he turns out to be Zack Greinke, I would be very happy. To have a rotation next year with Greinke, Hammel, Chen, and then two of Bundy, Gausman, Britton, Arrieta, Tillman, Gonzalez would be very nice. A lot better than that five-some without Greinke, that's for sure.

I have no faith whatsoever that Matusz will ever be even a moderately decent pitcher at the major league level again. He was awful last year and worse this year and has really only had that 1 dominant stretch. Maybe I'm wrong and he will find whatever it was that was getting him shelled in appearance after appearance and fix it down in Norfolk, but consider me VERY skeptical that it will ever happen.

So I almost kind of look at it as Schoop for Greinke. I take that deal, but ONLY if we are willing to offer him a VERY big deal as a FOR guy and pay him as much or perhaps even OVER what he is worthy simply so we can keep him and lock down the front of our rotation between him, Chen and Hammel for at least a couple years. Maybe that is living in a dream world and it probably won't happen, but I'd take it just because I don't think Schoop is ever going to be a "game changer" as a second baseman (by that I mean a guy who has a massive impact on the future of the franchise). I think he could end up a solid to above average ML player, but I don't seem him as a potential superstar. Greinke has dominant stuff as a staff ace and that is exactly what the Orioles have been lacking year after year after year since Mussina left.

Yeah, he has some question marks about his mental state and whether he could pitch in the AL East, but in my opinion the Orioles will ALWAYS be playing second fiddle to teams like the Yanks and Sox for the LONG TERM unless we start taking some chances on some veteran guys coming in here and leading the way. Building for the future is great but you can't build for the future every single year only to watch your guys go off to other teams when they mature and are ready to start having an impact.

The re-signing of Jones, Markakis etc. tells me that I think we might be ready to try and win this year and the next couple of years. If that is the case, a guy like Greinke could do wonders to help those chances (and again, I've been pretty pessimistic about our chances to even crack .500 this year). But a guy like Greinke could lift the spirits of a team that is currently pretty much down in the dumps, could give some of our guys belief that we DO think they could be winners this year and quite frankly, if there IS any chance we could resign him, he'd be a huge get for not only the impact HE has, but perhaps would send a signal out to other free agents that Baltimore IS a place you can come and win because we are serious about spending money to get good players in here.

If we don't make the trade and do decide to keep Schoop and Matusz, I certainly hope no one else trades for him or extends him because I'd love to see the O's go after him big time if/when he does become a free agent after this year. Decisions, decisions and this is a tough one!

I like Matusz and think Schoop could be our 2B of the future, but if they offer us Greinke with a window to extend (which we are able to take advantage of and actually extend him) for the two of them plus Mahoney or someone else, then I'm all for it. Greinke is a proven commodity. Matusz and Schoop are guys that could one day be good. And I'd love to see a day when they are good in an Oriole uniform, but that day may never come. One in the hand is better than two in the bush. If we can sign Greinke to a long-term extension (I know this could be a big if), then he's much better than anyone currently in our organization. He's who we hope that Bundy turns into. I mean, we may get something better out of Bundy, but if he turns out to be Zack Greinke, I would be very happy. To have a rotation next year with Greinke, Hammel, Chen, and then two of Bundy, Gausman, Britton, Arrieta, Tillman, Gonzalez would be very nice. A lot better than that five-some without Greinke, that's for sure.

I'm all about this post. I think we've seen enough of Brian Matusz, personally. I wish him well, but never has a guy seemed more primed for a change of scenery - to help him. I believe he would thrive in the West Coast air. And I imagine that many around baseball regard Matusz as a struggling former prospect who may or may not make it at the big league level.

Regarding Schoop, he's a nice player - not an elite player. To give him up, plus Matusz, to get Greinke is an absolute no-brainer, IMO. But only if you could re-up Greinke. There just aren't that many true, proven - YOUNG - TOR starters available at any given time. We don't have a single one of them right now, in fact.

I don't see Greinke as an O. Pending free agent and trade material don't match up.

I don't either. I don't think DD wants to give up Matusz/Schoop/+ and spend 5/100 or 6/120 on a SP. The O's don't have the payroll for a luxury like that. They need to develop their TOR SP.

I think that's why we've seen the O's linked to guys like Vargas and Saunders. Cheap stabilizers that will allow for offseason flexibility.

Archived