Troy Patton

GoBirds05

Where does he fall on our list? How bout the others...Albers sarfate Costanzo...

Would be fun to try and figure out...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/troy-patton.shtml

You know I was looking at Patton's stats. He improved every time he repeated a level. That says something to me. He struggled at a young age each time he went to a new level but I think that is normal. He adjusted and improved though and that is important. I have no idea where he would rank.

On second review his walks got up a bit his second time through A+

The fact that he made the majors at age 21 shows me something. The fact that he didn't freak out once he got there shows me something more. Some of our pitching prospects have more upside than Patton, but I'd say he is a safer bet to be at least a decent back-of-the-rotation starter than anyone on our prospect list.

I've looked at his stats, age, and I've read about his stuff on other sites. With that limited information in mind, it looks to me like he belongs right between Snyder and Olson at number 8.

I agree. He definitely goes above Olson just because of age. I think you might be able to make an argument that he could go above Snyder since he's already reached the majors and the uncertainty around what position Snyder will actually play.

I've looked at his stats, age, and I've read about his stuff on other sites. With that limited information in mind, it looks to me like he belongs right between Snyder and Olson at number 8.

I think he is better than that...Olson is about 2 years older, so that gives him an edge right there.

I would probably put him at #5, behind Wieters, Rowell, Spoone, and Reimold.

I think he is better than that...Olson is about 2 years older, so that gives him an edge right there.

I would probably put him at #5, behind Wieters, Rowell, Spoone, and Reimold.

I could see him above Liz because of the uncertainty around being a SP/RP but you'd put him above Erbe? Has he really fallen off that much??

Considering Patton is ranked the Astros #3 by BA and #1 by Sickels and the fact that he made it to the majors at 21 and held his own, he looks like our #4 prospect behind Weiters, Spoone and Rowell to me.

Castanzo is a little harder to place, but consider that he was ranked #6 by BA and #5 by Sickels in terms of Astros prospects. He appears to fit in nicely in the early teens.

He has to be ahead of Snyder because he has sniffed the bigs. I have concerns that Snyder ever will.

1. I have little doubt that Snyder will reach the bigs. He just led the Hawaiian league in hitting despite being younger than average for that league. Combine that with a strong 2nd half last year at Delmarva and he is on track.

2. I don't think "sniffing the bigs" is really a criterion. Jeff Fiorentino has "sniffed the bigs."

3. That said, I agree Patton ranks ahead of Snyder right now.

He has to be ahead of Snyder because he has sniffed the bigs. I have concerns that Snyder ever will.

A bit off-topic, but I'd like to nominate "sniffed the bigs" as my least favorite phrase of 2007. Sounds like an insult.

"What the heck's wrong with that guy?"

"Dunno, looks like he sniffed the bigs or somethin'..."

Who is John Sickels and what is his expertise???

Sickels is an analyst of minor league baseball. Here's how he introduces himself:

Greetings, fellow baseball fans. I'm John Sickels, author of the Baseball Prospect Book series.

You might also know me as Minor League Analyst for Rotowire.

You can find my minor league musings at minorleagueball.com, a blog I started at the beginning of the 2005 season.

Did I mention the John Sickels Baseball Newsletter?

This is his fifth year of publishing the Baseball Prospect Book. ESPN used to publish his column weekly.

Archived