Would DD Trade Wieters?

section18

This thread is a complete and utter joke. No one answered the quesion from a previous poster. What catchers in major league baseball would you rather have then wieters? Posey? Napili? Nope' date=' i'll take wieters and his injury free(knock on wood), 26 year old upside all day.[/quote']

We're seeing echos JTrea - if you're not a superstar you're a chump, and a candidate for the GM to try to trick some other team into accepting before they realize you're a chump. Maybe we should put Wieters on waivers to see if some stupid team will take him off our hands and we don't have to pay him for his horrible play anymore...

It's amazing how the productive players get the blame for not being Johnny Bench.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading "he's going to get better" about Wieters since his rookie season. How has that worked out? It's time to face the facts that he isn't going to be a middle of the order hitter. There is nothing wrong with a defense first catcher who has some pop in his bat and bats 6th, 7th, or 8th, in a good lineup. The problem is, his big signing bonus and his high prospect rankings all had him being a .300 hitter with 30+ HR so everyone thinks if he doesn't reach that status he is a bust. I wouldn't trade him because he is under team control for awhile and there is nobody else that could take over for him. However, I wouldn't be upset if they fleeced some team into the buying the "potential" he has and getting 2 or 3 top prospects that would be ready for 2014 or 2015 to come up with Machado, Schoop, Bundy, and Gausman.

I've been reading "he's going to get better" about Wieters since his rookie season. How has that worked out? It's time to face the facts that he isn't going to be a middle of the order hitter. There is nothing wrong with a defense first catcher who has some pop in his bat and bats 6th, 7th, or 8th, in a good lineup. The problem is, his big signing bonus and his high prospect rankings all had him being a .300 hitter with 30+ HR so everyone thinks if he doesn't reach that status he is a bust. I wouldn't trade him because he is under team control for awhile and there is nobody else that could take over for him. However, I wouldn't be upset if they fleeced some team into the buying the "potential" he has and getting 2 or 3 top prospects that would be ready for 2014 or 2015 to come up with Machado, Schoop, Bundy, and Gausman.

I will give you that he hasn't lived up to his offensive reputation, but the only reason he's hitting in the 5th or 4th hole frequently, frankly, is that there really isn't a better alternative. I think DD knows that Wieters is a 6/7 hitter in a good lineup, but it's up to him to put a better lineup out there. Buck's dealing with the hand he's dealt.

I will give you that he hasn't lived up to his offensive reputation, but the only reason he's hitting in the 5th or 4th hole frequently, frankly, is that there really isn't a better alternative. I think DD knows that Wieters is a 6/7 hitter in a good lineup, but it's up to him to put a better lineup out there. Buck's dealing with the hand he's dealt.

I know, I wasn't trying to knock Buck, DD, or even Matt by saying that. I just meant he was originally thought of as a MOO hitter when he was drafted and in the minors.

Would DD trade Wieters? Most on here don't want to trade Machado or Bundy. Is Wieters an untouchable? If DD traded him we would have to get a catcher back plus others. Who would be interested in trading for him?

Does the above look familiar? That was the opening of this post. So why the attacks? We have a GM who will do almost anything when it comes to making moves. He has said as much in his interviews. That was the reason for the thread as the clock keeps ticking towards the deadline.

I know, I wasn't trying to knock Buck, DD, or even Matt by saying that. I just meant he was originally thought of as a MOO hitter when he was drafted and in the minors.

I agree. I don't think it makes him a bust though because he isn't the cleanup hitter we wanted him to be. I think it means he was overhyped more then anything.

Would DD trade Wieters? Most on here don't want to trade Machado or Bundy. Is Wieters an untouchable? If DD traded him we would have to get a catcher back plus others. Who would be interested in trading for him?

Does the above look familiar? That was the opening of this post. So why the attacks? We have a GM who will do almost anything when it comes to making moves. He has said as much in his interviews. That was the reason for the thread as the clock keeps ticking towards the deadline.

Maybe he's said as much but what's he actually done? Not much substantively. Wieter's may leave a lot to be desired offensively and I personally would like to see him call a game better, but there are not many catchers I'd take over him.

Outside of Ruiz in Philly,....most catchers are not better than .250 hitters and creep around the 15 HR mark AT BEST (Mauer has been really inconsitent in terms of power numbers). Theres a major drought offensively with MLB catchers these days to say the least. When drafting/playing a catcher I think you HAVE to think defense #1 and then what you can get on offense you take as sortof a bonus.

I dont think they should look to trade him but if they were overwhelmed then sure, make a deal that will make the team better if theres something on the table. Is Wieters going to live up to the hype offensively that he was labeled with? Probably not. The term "Switch Hitting Jesus" has really become a joke. The guy IS the best defensive catcher in MLB in my mind. He's a .250 hitter who will bang about 20 hrs a year and hover around 75' rbi. There will not be an upgrade over Wieters' complete package.

So the fact of the matter is...how much do you value your catcher overall? Enough to deal him for say a Frontline starter (#2 ATLEAST) and a very serviceable position player? Or, keep him....you are set defensively for probably another 10 years & accept he's not Johnny Bench offensively.

Outside of Ruiz in Philly, Mauer in Min....most catchers are not better than .250 hitters and creep around the 15 HR mark AT BEST (Mauer has been really inconsitent in terms of power numbers). Theres a major drought offensively with MLB catchers these days to say the least. When drafting/playing a catcher I think you HAVE to think defense #1 and then what you can get on offense you take as sortof a bonus.

I dont think they should look to trade him but if they were overwhelmed then sure, make a deal that will make the team better if theres something on the table. Is Wieters going to live up to the hype offensively that he was labeled with? Probably not. The term "Switch Hitting Jesus" has really become a joke. The guy IS the best defensive catcher in MLB in my mind. He's a .250 hitter who will bang about 20 hrs a year and hover around 75' rbi. There will not be an upgrade over Wieters' complete package.

So the fact of the matter is ... how much do you value your catcher overall ? Enough to deal him for a Frontline starter (#2 ATLEAST) and a very serviceable position player? Or, keep him....you are set defensively for probably another 10 years & accept he's not Johnny Bench offensively.

);)

I am in no way an advocate of trading Matt, but if the thought is on the table only one team makes sense...the Angels. The assumption out here is that Mike hates any catcher that doesn't play the position like he did. Matt would be his dream-come-true. I think we could easily get a package of Trumbo and Bourjous + if Matt was put on the table.

Is it time to start thinking about this? Let's face facts, in his 3rd full season now it certainly looks like he's never going to be the dominant offensive player we were hoping for. Could it still happen? Sure, but the odds are against it. Now are there teams out there who still feel they can get that offensive dominance out of him? I think there are which means the odds of coming out ahead in the deal would be good. I don't think this type of deal could probably be done at the deadline since 1) A Teagarden/Paulino combo wouldn't work and I don't know who they could get at this point in a separate deal and 2) Wieters is so important to the pitching staff and overall defense of the club. Certainly in the offseason, though, I think they need to find out his market value and seriously consider a deal.

Let's face the facts, this is a bad idea. He's still an awesome defender, it'd create another hole in addition to our LF, 3B, 1B struggles and even if he's a .250 hitter with 18 homers, he still comes out ahead of a lot of catchers in the game today.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that he's not Mauer with power but trading him would be a boneheaded decision just because he isn't living up to the hype.

Grass is not always greener on the other side...

A relatively cost effective catcher with great D, can hit 20 home runs and OPS mid-to-high .700's is very valuable. This was a almost 6 WAR guy last year, squarely in All-Star territory. He's still been worth over 2 WAR this year, a solid starter, and I believe he can still finish quite strong.

Archived