Decisions, decisions....

Il BuonO

This is just silly. If Johnson does what he had done better than any other closer in the majors this season we are talking about the heart & character of this team. It is a fickle, fickle fan base!

Because we've reached the 100 game mark, the Orioles are still above .500 and people are starting to freak out. This might *actually* be the season where the Orioles have a winning season and people don't know what to do with themselves.

I mean, look at this thread. A franchise without a winning season in 14 years, a few games above .500 and headed down the stretch and someone decides to start a thread about the possibility of firing the manager. Read that again and tell me that people around here aren't starting to crack. This is relatively unchartered territory and panic is setting in. And no one panics better than the OH.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look at the roster and think "this is a 100 loss team". Buck has done as good of job of managing as anybody in the game, so I can't see why he would be the problem. I still don't think the team will end up with a winning record but that's on the front office not Buck.

I feel a mega collapse coming. On par with 86 but not as bad as 02.

I did not watch the game, but after looking at the box score last night I feel that game could easily trigger it. For some reason Buck always seems to go with a relief picther we just called up. I also would like to know why JJ was left in after he blew the save. As soon as he blew the save he should of been pulled. Instead he gives up 6 runs and puts the game out of reach. Now again, I didn't see any of the game, so maybe there is something there I am missing.

To me this is simple. The team has gotten better each year Buck has been here. Knock on wood, substantially better this year. The team has outperformed its pythagorean record each year he has been here. His players play hard all 162 games. He's my manager until I get the sense that he has worn out his welcome with the players or has lost his passion for the job. That couldn't be further from the case right now.

To me this is simple. The team has gotten better each year Buck has been here. Knock on wood, substantially better this year. The team has outperformed its pythagorean record each year he has been here. His players play hard all 162 games. He's my manager until I get the sense that he has worn out his welcome with the players or has lost his passion for the job. That couldn't be further from the case right now.

I did not care for some of the decision making in the game last night. I do think Buck has gotten the team to play better than they are and to battle back when behind. In the end, Jim Johnson did not have his best stuff again last evening.

I love Buck as a manager and hope he extends. Who out of the managers during our losing streak would you rather have: Buck, Samuel, Trembley, Pelozzo, Mizzilli or Hargrove? To me, it's not even close, and we would probably be looking at someone with similar caliber as the others to replace him.

With that being said, he got severely outmanaged last night. The Socolovich debacle was unexusable. Balfour got in trouble during the bottom half of the 6th for Oakland, and instead of leaving him out there like Buck did with Socolovich, Melvin took him out and ended the threat.

I read your post. You can say as much as you want "I am not trying to say,... but what I am saying is..." as many times as you want. Your post clearly implied an opinion that Buck is the problem and maybe he should go. Don't shy away from it, own it. I just very much disagree with it. Sorry that you take disagreement so poorly. I'm still failing to see how this team is better off without with Buck. You have offered no proof whatsoever.
Because we've reached the 100 game mark, the Orioles are still above .500 and people are starting to freak out. This might *actually* be the season where the Orioles have a winning season and people don't know what to do with themselves.

I mean, look at this thread. A franchise without a winning season in 14 years, a few games above .500 and headed down the stretch and someone decides to start a thread about the possibility of firing the manager. Read that again and tell me that people around here aren't starting to crack. This is relatively unchartered territory and panic is setting in. And no one panics better than the OH.

I'll ask it again as I did in the OP and subsequently throughout the thread, if we get some pieces added and it comes to the end of Buck's contract and no playoffs, what then? Because that was the question. Some people seem to think that there isn't any standard to which he should be held and I disagree. I'm not talking about this year.

Next year when his contract is up and only if the FO has given him some help. Get it?

I'll ask it again as I did in the OP and subsequently throughout the thread, if we get some pieces added and it comes to the end of Buck's contract and no playoffs, what then? Because that was the question. Some people seem to think that there isn't any standard to which he should be held and I disagree. I'm not talking about this year.

Next year when his contract is up and only if the FO has given him some help. Get it?

Depends on what the help is and it depends on the record at the end of next year. If he get say McCarthy and Macier Izturiz, for help, and wins 89 G, missing the playoffs by one game I'd definitely resign him.

Depends on what the help is and it depends on the record at the end of next year. If he get say McCarthy and Macier Izturiz, for help, and wins 89 G, missing the playoffs by one game I'd definitely resign him.

I had liked McCarthy, too, until someone alerted me to the fact that he's had injury problems. What makes you think Izturis is available?

I mean, look at this thread. A franchise without a winning season in 14 years, a few games above .500 and headed down the stretch and someone decides to start a thread about the possibility of firing the manager. Read that again and tell me that people around here aren't starting to crack. This is relatively uncharted territory and panic is setting in. And no one panics better than the OH.

Milligan, you've been hitting them out of the park with some of your posts lately. :thumbsup1:

I had liked McCarthy, too, until someone alerted me to the fact that he's had injury problems. What makes you think Izturis is available?
He's a FA this fall, as is McCarthy and a number of other very good SP. You are talking about our record at the end of next season right? I would expect whatever we do at the trade deadline, the major help will come in FA this fall. Unless the team has a major regression next year and finishes well below .500, I see no reason not to keep Buck. To consider letting him go if he doesn't make the playoffs is silly.

He's a FA this fall, as is McCarthy and a number of other very good SP. You are talking about our record at the end of next season right? I would expect whatever we do at the trade deadline, the major help will come in FA this fall. Unless the team has a major regression next year and finishes well below .500, I see no reason not to keep Buck. To consider letting him go if he doesn't make the playoffs is silly.

Okay, you didn't answer the question about McCarthy so you could what? get into another argument about the OP? Look, if they don't get Buck any reinforcements, no harm no foul. K? However, in your scenario of offseason FA help does Buck have any standard he's held to for winning?

As long as the team is over .500 and playing meaningful baseball in August and September I think that's all you can ask for. Especially with a relatively tightwad owner and playing in the most expensive and competitive division in baseball.

I love Buck as a manager and hope he extends. Who out of the managers during our losing streak would you rather have: Buck, Samuel, Trembley, Pelozzo, Mizzilli or Hargrove? To me, it's not even close, and we would probably be looking at someone with similar caliber as the others to replace him.

With that being said, he got severely outmanaged last night. The Socolovich debacle was unexusable. Balfour got in trouble during the bottom half of the 6th for Oakland, and instead of leaving him out there like Buck did with Socolovich, Melvin took him out and ended the threat.

Hey, you forgot Ray Miller!

Archived