The Pirates may not break their losing streak after all

Frobby

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently up 3-0 against the Cubs in the 8th. I hope they make it to .500. If they do, the longest losing streak defers to the Royals (since 03), but after that you have to jump to 2008 (Indians). And I think Cleveland has an 81 win season in there. That's a good thing IMO -- no matter how much you hate a team, fans deserve hope and occasional winning seasons. Except Boston and MFY fans, but that's never going to be an issue.

Currently up 3-0 against the Cubs in the 8th. I hope they make it to .500. If they do, the longest losing streak defers to the Royals (since 03), but after that you have to jump to 2008 (Indians). And I think Cleveland has an 81 win season in there. That's a good thing IMO -- no matter how much you hate a team, fans deserve hope and occasional winning seasons. Except Boston and MFY fans, but that's never going to be an issue.

I would be so happy if the Yanks and/or Sox had a run like the Phillies of 75 years ago, where they had losing seasons in 34 of 35 years.

I would be so happy if the Yanks and/or Sox had a run like the Phillies of 75 years ago, where they had losing seasons in 34 of 35 years.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but since our last World Series, the O's have made the playoffs 2 times in 29 season! Lets hope this year makes 3, but it has been a pretty awful 3 DECADE run here in Baltimore!

I hate to keep bringing this up, but since our last World Series, the O's have made the playoffs 2 times in 29 season! Lets hope this year makes 3, but it has been a pretty awful 3 DECADE run here in Baltimore!

That's not good, but it's not historic. I think most franchises have had runs in that neighborhood. The Senators didn't make the playoffs from '33 until they left town, and the new Senators never did, so that's about 40 years. The Browns made one postseason from 1901-1953. The Phils had that 35-year run with one winning record. The Pirates have today. The Red Sox didn't make the postseason from 1919-45. From 1901-20 the Yanks had two more 100-loss seasons than postseason appearances (2-0). The Padres had one postseason appearance from '69-95. The Expos-Nats have one (soon to be two) strike-year playoff appearance in 43 years.

That's not good, but it's not historic. I think most franchises have had runs in that neighborhood. The Senators didn't make the playoffs from '33 until they left town, and the new Senators never did, so that's about 40 years. The Browns made one postseason from 1901-1953. The Phils had that 35-year run with one winning record. The Pirates have today. The Red Sox didn't make the postseason from 1919-45. From 1901-20 the Yanks had two more 100-loss seasons than postseason appearances (2-0). The Padres had one postseason appearance from '69-95. The Expos-Nats have one (soon to be two) strike-year playoff appearance in 43 years.

In terms of their respective franchises, the original Senators/Twins postseason-less streak spanned 31 seasons, from 1934-1964.

The new Senators/Rangers' streak spanned 34 seasons, from 1961-1995 (subtracted 1 season for 1994, when there was no postseason.)

Back in July I figured it was a foregone conclusion that the Pirates would end their streak and was worried the Orioles weren't leaving us in sole possession of the streak. So much so I was secretly rooting for the Pirates to fail so we wouldn't be alone in the sub .500 club.

Now that we have secured a winning season I expected to be rooting for the Pirates to do the same... but here I am rooting for them to complete the collapse. Slightly alarmed to discover that I enjoy watching others suffer... Cubbies and Pirates failing brings me joy. :slytf:

I have even gone so far as to start watching Pirate games live and cheering for the other team... and boy has it gotten ugly. Brewers stole 7 bases last night and the poor Pirates were helpless to do anything about it and tonight they are losing possibly sending their record to 74-74 on the season by nights end.

With the terrible terrible terrible Astros leaving for the AL next year that is one less team for them to feast on... if they don't right the ship this year this streak could go on for quite awhile.

Question is, who goes? Hurdle? Huntington?

The fact is that both have been the victims of payroll that was pretty significantly hamstringing their ability to bring in quality players and fill holes. For instance today's loss can best be blamed on Chad Qualls, who was the big bullpen addition...two weeks after he was claimed off waivers by the Yankees.

Archived