Adam Dunn on the Block?

lofireve

I know I sleep better at night after a GIDP with the bases loaded in the 9th. Strikeouts are just so embarassing they kill team chemistry.

The same way you sleep better when your team leaves a man on third with less than 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth? Getting that man in from third does so much for team chemistry . . .

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm the Reds GM, the minimum I'd take from the O's for Dunn (& would start off asking for more) would be Daniel Cabrera - someone like Dunn with great talent but still some flaws. You have to think they'll want a Major League ready, relatively young SP.

Would you do that deal?

If I'm the Reds GM, the minimum I'd take from the O's for Dunn (& would start off asking for more) would be Daniel Cabrera - someone like Dunn with great talent but still some flaws. You have to think they'll want a Major League ready, relatively young SP.

Would you do that deal?

You have to keep in mind that this same Reds GM traded not one, but two of his more promising young position players for two middle relievers in the midst of their playoff drive this year effectively killing the Reds season. If he's unhappy with Dunn and I'm the Orioles GM I start calling him now offering stuff like Benson for Dunn straight up and I wouldn't be slightly surprised if they took it.

Would you do that deal?

DCab came within a hair of no-noing the MFY's . I have no doubt (and Leo will back me up on this) that he will pitch at least one at sometime during his career. A no hitter is comparable to hitting for the cycle something Dunn will never do in his entire career. The best I'd do for Dunn is Penn and Hoey/Rleal.

You have to keep in mind that this same Reds GM traded not one, but two of his more promising young position players for two middle relievers in the midst of their playoff drive this year effectively killing the Reds season. If he's unhappy with Dunn and I'm the Orioles GM I start calling him now offering stuff like Benson for Dunn straight up and I wouldn't be slightly surprised if they took it.

You're right, I wondered that too about his midseason trade. It's also possible it was just mid-season pressure to get relievers & that he would act differently in the offseason once he has more time / more teams to deal with. It'll be interesting to see it play out.

DCab came within a hair of no-noing the MFY's . I have no doubt (and Leo will back me up on this) that he will pitch at least one at sometime during his career. A no hitter is comparable to hitting for the cycle something Dunn will never do in his entire career. The best I'd do for Dunn is Penn and Hoey/Rleal.

Cabrera has more upside but Dunn has more of a track record. Cabrera can pitch great games that probably no one else in the majors can match. But he can just as easily throw up multiple duds. It's a question of if you can live with not knowing for sure which he'll give you. So far his track record indicates he'll give you about 1/2 of each.

You know Dunn can take walks, give you a high OBP & hit 30-40 homers a year which are both very desirable traits in a hitter but he'll strike out a great deal in the process & his batting average is below average.

It's not a complete apples to apples comparison but both of their benefits are weighted down by their negatives.

Is this really your argument as to why DCab is more valuable than Dunn?

Dunn has never lined into a triple play in his career, whereas DCab has never INDUCED one. Ergo, Dunn > Cabrera. :confused: **

** I made that up.

A no hitter is comparable to hitting for the cycle .

It most certainly is not.

Just because they happen at about roughly the same rate doesn't mean that it takes roughly the same amount of skill. 99% of all major league hitters can hit for a cycle, it just takes a lot of coincidence/luck to get all 4 types of hits in the same game. Throwing a no-hitter is completely different, and about a million times more difficult to do. While there sometime is luck involved in a no-hitter, such as a close error call, or a good defensive play, it takes a lot more skill to achieve than hitting for the cycle does.

Are you sure? I bet I could dig up some pretty mediocre pitchers who have thrown no-hitters.

You're right. There have been several pitchers who have thrown no-hitters but haven't done much else over their career. While a no-hitter is a nice achievement, it's not automatically a predictor of consistent or long term success.

Archived