Amidst all the pennant race joy, I do feel bad for Brian Roberts

glenn__davis

I don't understand why DC fans shout 'O' at their games. They have their own team now. It is especially odd when I hear it at a Nationals games. Don't these people know what the 'O' stands for?

I'm sure there are random people who shout O because they don't understand and just think it's cool. But I'm assuming that large percentage of the people doing it are Orioles fans.

Just because a Baptist Church gets built at the end of your street, it doesn't mean you automatically stop being a Methodist.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually I asked for a player that gave up guaranteed money; i meant to imply gave up guaranteed money while still playing/attempting to play like Brian; not gave up guaranteed money and retire. Even Gil Meche took his guaranteed money the year before he retired where he was constantly on the DL.. shockingly just like Brian.

It's one thing to think Brian should outright retire and forfeit future money; its another thing to think Brian should hand back some of his money that was already paid/earned because of the injuries. And you'd have to be seriously naive to think the Players Union would even allow that to happen. And i'd like to note that gmelson thinks he should give up this years money; so my arguement isn't aimed at those who think he should have retired. It's aimed at those who think he should give money back he already earned.

That is not at all how I read your earlier post.

I feel far worse for Markakis who is in his prime and is missing this. Roberts has only played 115 games over the past few years, while Markakis is a major part of why we are here this season. At 34, Roberts aint that old, but at the very least it would be great if he was here for late inning PH opportunity, if not the starting 2B and leadoff gig. Every team that comes out of nowhere always has the one or two guys who had lingered around carrying the team who get to be a part of it, even if it is in the PH capacity. We have Thome but he was just brought on this year and its still weird that hes an Oriole. Guthrie is gone and Roberts is out.

Terrible.

I feel far worse for Markakis who is in his prime and is missing this.

Markakis at least was able to be an integral part of the team when healthy this season. He's been with the club the majority of the year even when not playing. I'm sure it's frustrating for him to not be on the field, but he's very much a part of this team and has contributed significantly.

Roberts, though, has contributed almost nothing, and in fact I'm sure he barely knows a lot guys on the team now. It's just a totally new set of guys. So I think it's very different for him.

When you retire from the game you love there is no going back. You're done with baseball forever. Obviously the money has something to do with it but who are we to tell somebody else when they should quit doing what they love?

Right. Gil Meche had reached a point where he was ready to retire. Roberts has not reached that point yet. He wants to try to keep playing. You can question that decision if you want, but I'm certainly not going to tell a guy when to give it up. I could understand if you thought Roberts was just milking it for the money, but I don't think that's the case at all.

Personal integrity. I was brought up that a man earns his money. I guess my view might change if I had 10 million in front of me but I would hope that the 42 million + I had already earned would be enough for me.

The CBA -- the union -- dictates that players are entitled to "keep" money whether they earn it by playing or whether they are on the DL. Personal integrity has nothing to do with it, and please don't ever question Brian Roberts' personal integrity again. :angryfire:

EDIT to add: At some point, I believe Brian was also the player rep to the union. So, yeah, GREAT idea of him forfeiting his contract money that he hasn't earned due to injury. /sarcasm

Witchy

The CBA -- the union -- dictates that players are entitled to "keep" money whether they earn it by playing or whether they are on the DL. Personal integrity has nothing to do with it, and please don't ever question Brian Roberts' personal integrity again. :angryfire:

Witchy

I wasn't questioning his, I was explaining mine. I wasn't being judgmental. I was also not stating that monies earned while attempting to play should be refunded. If you had paid attention you would have seen that the career earnings number I cited included monies earned this season. I was stating that retirement, to me, would be preferable.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing this..

Name One baseball player since the advent of Free Agency or Guaranteed contracts that gave up money at their own freewill because of an injury; self-inflicted or otherwise.

Chances are you can't, because the Union would never ever allow it. Now there are players who have restructured contracts (almost always at the Teams request) but they've always gained more money out of it, hell the Mets are going to be paying Bobby Bonilla for the rest of eternity. If the team really needed money, I have zero doubt that Brian would restructure his contract; but seeing how it hasn't happened, I think its safe to assume that the Team hasn't asked; and they haven't asked because they don't need to.

How would they prevent it?

Archived