Maverick Wieters, 8lb 2oz

AgentOrange

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok why is it 9 hours out of the day?

Most players arrive at the park at about 3 p.m. for a 7 p.m. game. Especially the catcher, who has to study up on opposing hitters, maybe look at some video, and go over his game plan with the pitcher. Then after the game (which often takes more than three hours, by the way) the players have a shower, dress, etc.

Ok why is it 9 hours out of the day?

This isn't a serious question, right?

Wieters doesn't live at the ballpark, roll out of bed, and step onto the field for first pitch at 7:05. Nor does he leave the dugout, and roll back into bed.

The ballplayers arrive early to gameplan, watch video, get instruction, get treatment, hit the weights, etc. etc. etc.

Then after the game, they attend to media obligations, get treatment, do any postgame wraps as necessary.

This is more of a job than any of us who haven't done it give it credit for.

If this were the middle of the season, I'd expect Wieters to take a couple of days off. Right now, I'd be shocked if he did. Buck might insist that he take today, however.

I know not all the posters on this board are parents. All I can say is, for me, the day my first child was born was the most amazing, special day of my entire life. I have a hard time imagining trying to do my job that day. Wieters was probably up all night, and won't be falling asleep any time soon. It's not an easy time to be preparing to help a pitcher to throw a good game. So, I think we'll see Teagarden.

Being a parent is great and that feeling when your first child arrives is amazing! Congrats to Matt and his wife.

I remember reading the other day that they were inducing his wife yesterday. I'm curious if this was health related or if Matt and his wife requested she be induced since the O's had the day off and it would mean one less game that he would miss.

Most players arrive at the park at about 3 p.m. for a 7 p.m. game. Especially the catcher, who has to study up on opposing hitters, maybe look at some video, and go over his game plan with the pitcher. Then after the game (which often takes more than three hours, by the way) the players have a shower, dress, etc.

Well, he could arrive late to the park today and leave early considering the circumstances. Some of the stuff can be done on the fly today. A less prepared Wieters is far, far better than a well prepared Teagarden. Yeah, I also understand there are commuting issues to and from the park. I understand he has to shower and suit up. I got it.

Like I said, If Wieters wants to take the day off I won't hold it against him.

If this were the middle of the season, I'd expect Wieters to take a couple of days off. Right now, I'd be shocked if he did. Buck might insist that he take today, however.

I know not all the posters on this board are parents. All I can say is, for me, the day my first child was born was the most amazing, special day of my entire life. I have a hard time imagining trying to do my job that day. Wieters was probably up all night, and won't be falling asleep any time soon. It's not an easy time to be preparing to help a pitcher to throw a good game. So, I think we'll see Teagarden.

All three of my children were induced. Didn't have to worry about lack of sleep:thumbsup1:

Being a parent is great and that feeling when your first child arrives is amazing! Congrats to Matt and his wife.

I remember reading the other day that they were inducing his wife yesterday. I'm curious if this was health related or if Matt and his wife requested she be induced since the O's had the day off and it would mean one less game that he would miss.

Kid is 8 pounds, it was time. You dont want that little wrecking ball staying in there much longer than that. Given the size of Wieters, that thing could have waited to come out on its own at 11 pounds.:eek:

I did have a dream last night that I was brought into a baseball game to catch because the starter was out. I let so many pitches get passed me and was booed off the field. It could have been around 5 am when Matt had his kid! If Tea has a few passed balls tonight, I forshadowed it.

Kid is 8 pounds, it was time. You dont want that little wrecking ball staying in there much longer than that. Given the size of Wieters, that thing could have waited to come out on its own at 11 pounds.:eek:

My first born was 12 days overdue. TWO -- count 'em two -- failed inductions. After failed induction #2, I demanded a c-section. Sugar Booger was 9 lbs, 12 oz. I knew from the get-go she was a stubborn one. ;)

Also, IIRC, the 27th was Mrs. Wieters due date. I don't think it's too controversial to request an induction on the mother's EDD to allow the father to be present for the birth. When medically feasible, a lot of military wives schedule inductions/c-sections for when the fathers are home on leave.

Witchy

She couldn't have been induced YESTERDAY while the O's had a scheduled day off?? Where's the commitment??

(totally kidding, congrats to the Wieters family!)

I think that's what they did, actually. Labor can take a long time (first kid, especially).

Archived