What did Curt Schilling say?

Dark Helmet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to give Gammons the benefit of the doubt on this one.

While occassionally he may subtly let his loyalties seep into his analysis, I doubt he would be so unprofessional to say something so obviously jerkish. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll just rack it up to a poor word choice and leave it at that.

It is also my inclination to give Gammons the benefit of the doubt. However, if his message was misinterpreted, why hasn't he clarified it?

Speaking of things people say that I can't stand..

I hate it when a fan feels the need to announce and tell everyone they are and have been a fan of a certain team for years. I've been seeing these types of people on facebook now talking about how they always have been an O's fan..blah blah blah. I just never feel the need to do this.

Speaking on the Gammons tweet, I think it is what it is. He said it and will have to face the consequences of us shoving it back in his.

I'm not a huge fan of Adam's response to Peter. I LOVE his passion, and I'll take that over the alternative. But not sure attacking national reporters and scrapping with random Yankee fans (which he was also doing last night on Twitter) reflects that well on him or the organization.

To be clear, I think he's usually great on Twitter, especially with how he interacts with the fans. But last night wasn't his best moment. IMO.

Gammons has had time to clarify it and hasn't.

He is a national writer and should keep his biases to himself.

His tweet (ugh) was cheap and inaccurate. The Os hearts were not broken by the Angels win.

He can and should do better.

I'm not a huge fan of Adam's response to Peter. I LOVE his passion, and I'll take that over the alternative. But not sure attacking national reporters and scrapping with random Yankee fans (which he was also doing last night on Twitter) reflects that well on him or the organization.

To be clear, I think he's usually great on Twitter, especially with how he interacts with the fans. But last night wasn't his best moment. IMO.

I agree. He needs to get himself focused for this series, and that doesn't mean swinging for the fences on every pitch. If he doesn't calm down, he's going to have a very frustrating finish.

THAT tweet by Gammons could not even remotely be construed as anything but uncomplimentary! The fact he made it so obvious clearly shows that he was responding as a Red Sox fan, and NOT as a sports journalist. He needs to issue an apology, imo. The fact he's been charitable, or unbiased if you will, in his comments about the Orioles over the years, simply means he could afford to be. The O's have sucked so long a space-age, built-by-the-Gods vacuum cleaner couldn't have picked 'em up. Kindliness leads to Godliness? Not in Gammons case. And the older he gets, the more he reminds me of Howard Cosell.

The O's magical season has left quite a lot of egg on some these egomaniacal 'sports journalists' faces. Keith Law will spend the next few weeks trying to get that egg off, because his response was to spew sour grapes. And even if the O's go on to win the World Series, he'll be taken away in a straight-jacket screaming that the O's are the worst team ever to win the World Series, and that MLB was in a down year, blah, blah, blah, blah .........

I'm sorry, but there is no way to interpret that as anything but him being a douche. He's a writer for crying out loud. If he meant it differently, I'd think he could form a sentence to reflect that.
Sure there is. Gammons is a SUX fan, but is very fond of the O's. He was close to Flanny both being New Englanders. He is a knowledgeable and literate guy, and using the phrase, "having their hearts broken", could very well be an allusion to Bart Giamatti's famous statement about baseball being designed to break your heart. For the less literate and knowledgeable, here it is:

Baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.?

― A. Bartlett Giamatti, Take Time For Paradise: Americans And Their Games

Sure there is. Gammons is a SUX fan, but is very fond of the O's. He was close to Flanny both being New Englanders. He is a knowledgeable and literate guy, and using the phrase, "having their hearts broken", could very well be an allusion to Bart Giamatti's famous statement about baseball being designed to break your heart. For the less literate and knowledgeable, here it is:

Baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.?

― A. Bartlett Giamatti, Take Time For Paradise: Americans And Their Games

Please. Their hearts weren't broken. Were they disappointed they couldn't celebrate with their fans? Yes, perhaps. Anything beyond that is hyperbole.

Gammons knows more baseball insiders (owners, front office, managers and journalists) than all of us put together, and he knows about 30 to 40 percent as much about the game as he thinks he knows, but he's still a homer in a position where he shouldn't be. If he wants to love the Sox so much, he should work for NESN.

My view of Gammons, for what it's worth.

Archived