From an O's fan perspective, the TBS coverage is horrific so far

Oriole Way

OK- they had Cal in the booth (only for him to dis Brooks!), but other than that it has been horrible.

I wouldn't expect them to have cut away from the end of the Cardinals-Braves game but we miss the beginning of the O's game including the first run that they score.

Almost zero coverage of the celebration afterwards.

On the one hand, the rain delay allow us to see the whole game- because the Nats-Cardinals game ran past the 6pm scheduled start. If it had gone into extras- which it easily could have- we would have missed even more. Now we're bumping up against the Giants-Reds game at 9:30 so maybe they won't cut away until the end of our game but we certainly won't see much, if any, post game discussion (I can't get MASN unfortunately and, for me, it's only worse because MLB.tv is telling me that I can't watch their feed because I'm in the NY market). TBS and MLB have jammed too many games back to back.

To add insult to injury, the discussion amongst the "analysts" is comprised of Wells (yeh- I watched him pitch for us in the 96 playoffs... and despite what he did for us, he's a Yankee) talk about Derek Jeter and then watch 10 minutes about Reggie Jackson (who I still can't forgive for 76 because I'm convinced that if he hadn't held out and missed all of those games- where we then had neither him nor Baylor since we traded him for Jackson- we would have won the pennant that year).

Couldn't they have said anything or shown anything about the O's season or the O's-Yankees meetings this year or anything other than Yankee propaganda????

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and now a Big Bang Theory rerun instead of something about the Orioles season or some Orioles-Yankees series analysis?

Worst postseason coverage ever?

The thing is that they are catering to a national audience, and not a select number of viewers. Big Bang Theory would draw a higher rating. And unlike a channel like ESPN that has to be pretty much ALL sports, TBS can air a variety of programs. Big Bang Theory can draw in new viewers, too.

I'm not a big fan of TBS' coverage. I like some stuff, don't like others. I love Matt Winer and Dennis Eckersley. I like some of the commentary teams. Overall it's a bit sub par, but nothing to make me stop watching.

and now a Big Bang Theory rerun instead of something about the Orioles season or some Orioles-Yankees series analysis?

Worst postseason coverage ever?

They're panicked because they don't have enough stuff to air and they don't want to shoot the wad in one night. Bad production. Guess they didn't think the Orioles would win the other night and just don't have much together for them.

Wompfump has an interesting point about the network in general catering to a national audience, but if you're in a deal to provide national coverage, you'd better have the time-killing resources to keep up with ESPN and others.

if you want to watch it on TV is there much of a choice?

I just meant in general. Like if I weren't an O's or Yanks fan.

It also should be noted that Big Bang Theory came on EXACTLY at 8PM, when a new primetime audience is tuning in. I don't think it's because they ran out of stuff to show.

I don't have cable...and my MLB supscription does not entitle me to the playoffs. I shilled out the extra $4.99 for the privilege of watching the un-edited camera feeds. This is an "interesting" way to watch the game. I pine for the simpler times when Walter Cronkite told us what was what and the baseball playoffs were always on one of the four existing channels. The only complications involved sneaking in a radio to fourth period to catch the occasional day game.

I agree their coverage stinks. I missed the first inning of the Texas game not realizing it was switched to TNT. I was panicking this evening because I thought the same thing was going to happen and I had TBS recording on my DVR and not TNT. My wife and I had to put our little ones to bed, so I couldn't check on the start of the game. That wouldn't make wifey happy.

Why couldn't Turner broadcasting just schedule the afternoon game on TBS and have the first evening game on TNT - like schedule it that way from the start? That way if one goes over, fans of the second game aren't guessing where their game is? I mean how many episodes of Law and Order does TNT need to air anyway?

Archived