One change you'd make to...***gasp***... the great Camden Yards.

Todd-O

If my memory is correct one of our stadiums has speakers in the rest rooms so you can hear the game when you are standing in line in there and by the concession stands. I don't think OP has the game on in the rest rooms. They have the small TV'S without sound by the concession stands. Sound would be nice by the concession stands as well as the area that goes out to the picnic area between 1st base and home plate.

I also think the leftfield wall should have clear plexiglass above the current wall to make the wall about 10 feet high so nobody can reach over the fence or interfere with the fielder and also prefer the dirt warning track.

Someone mentioned on TV they thought Earl Weaver should be turned around in the statue area facing in to the ballpark. He currently has his back to the playing area while the other players are facing in to the playing area. I'm guessing they have him facing his players because he was their leader. I agree with the TV announcer (I believe it was Jim Palmer) that Earl should also face the playing area. It's not a big deal to turn him around.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>Demolition the hotel. View of the Bromo Seltzer was awesome.<<

Lets agree that no one is going to tear down the hotel. BUT, how about shrink-wrapping or painting the narrow, tall, tower-sized section of the hotel that obscures the Bromo Tower with.....a trompe l'oiel Bromo Tower?

If my memory is correct one of our stadiums has speakers in the rest rooms so you can hear the game when you are standing in line in there and by the concession stands. I don't think OP has the game on in the rest rooms. They have the small TV'S without sound by the concession stands. Sound would be nice by the concession stands as well as the area that goes out to the picnic area between 1st base and home plate.

I also think the leftfield wall should have clear plexiglass above the current wall to make the wall about 10 feet high so nobody can reach over the fence or interfere with the fielder and also prefer the dirt warning track.

No way. You can't put huge plexiglas walls around the playing surface of a field that ushered in the retro look. Might as well cover the warehouse with vinyl siding if you're going to do that.

The walls were purposely made low to create the possibility of HR-stealing catches in the outfield. It's industry standard at this point. How many times have fans interfered with balls in LF at OPCY? How many highlight catches have been made? The tradeoff is easily worth it.

One change that I liked very much was the lowering of the wall in right-field, so anyone that is watching from that area (SRO) is now given a much better view of the game. Previously, you pretty much had to be at least 6' 2" or taller to get a good view.

NOW:O). http://www.wbal.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/88448-Orioles%20Opening%20Day%202012%20Flag%20Court%201.jpg

THEN:O http://mlblogscookandsonbats.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/2320-20camden20rf20flag20panarama-thumb-550x217-1612391.jpg?w=550&h=217

O

Yep, that was a brilliant change. I never really understood why it was built the way it was in the first place. I guess in 1990, nobody imagined that somebody would want to stand and watch the game.

The hotel is an ugly glass eyesore in the middle of beautiful brick symmetry. Nothing can now be done to undo the hotel fiasco, but I think Orioles fans should find out who was responsible for approving the final hotel design. It's obvious they did so without considering the magnificent uniqueness that the view of the Bromo Selzer Tower added to Camden Yards. I propose that a posse of Orioles fans be rounded up to go after the responsible villain because their decision was, beyond any shadow of a doubt, aesthetically criminal. Perhaps a kangaroo court can decide their fate.

I start getting pissed even thinking about the hotel. What an abomination. It's the aesthetic and moral equivalent of plunking down a Pizza Hut in the middle of the Louvre. Or carving Teddy Roosevelt's face into Ronald McDonald's on Mount Rushmore. It's borderline terrorism. I'm not an advocate of vigilantism, but if some brave and concerned and mentally unstable citizen torched the Hilton (all occupants escaping safely), I would chip in mightily for that fellow's legal bills.

As for my own suggestion, I would like there to be a Mexican food vendor somewhere in there. I've got celiac disease and can't eat a lot of that delicious ballpark food. Selfish, I know, but who doesn't love Mexican?

I start getting pissed even thinking about the hotel. What an abomination. It's the aesthetic and moral equivalent of plunking down a Pizza Hut in the middle of the Louvre. Or carving Teddy Roosevelt's face into Ronald McDonald's on Mount Rushmore. It's borderline terrorism. I'm not an advocate of vigilantism, but if some brave and concerned and mentally unstable citizen torched the Hilton (all occupants escaping safely), I would chip in mightily for that fellow's legal bills.

As for my own suggestion, I would like there to be a Mexican food vendor somewhere in there. I've got celiac disease and can't eat a lot of that delicious ballpark food. Selfish, I know, but who doesn't love Mexican?

Agreed on all accounts, especially the Mexican food.

I remember a long time ago Tippy Martinez had a taco stand there, not far from Boog's. Only lasted one season but I remember the food being pretty good and meeting Tippy.

As a kid going to Memorial it was an understood courtesy that if you had to leave your seat during the game you did so in between innings.....at Camden yards it just get up any time you like......Gosh I sound like an old man talking about "back in my day"

also when a fan makes a good catch I wish they would play a sound bite of Rex saying "give that fan a contract"

If the Orioles put a Chipotle in I would attend every single home game.

If my memory is correct one of our stadiums has speakers in the rest rooms so you can hear the game when you are standing in line in there and by the concession stands. I don't think OP has the game on in the rest rooms.

They certainly do--in the ladies' room, at least.

As a kid going to Memorial it was an understood courtesy that if you had to leave your seat during the game you did so in between innings.....at Camden yards it just get up any time you like......Gosh I sound like an old man talking about "back in my day"

also when a fan makes a good catch I wish they would play a sound bite of Rex saying "give that fan a contract"

I agree with all of the above. As for Rex's line, I've noticed that when attending a game anywhere, if someone makes a great catch I say that phrase under my breath. I wonder if its just programed into those of us who grew up in Memorial Stadium?

As for the hotel, is there ANYTHING that could be done to the exterior that could make it a little pleasing to the eye, and perhaps more inline with the surrounding aesthetic?

John

1 - There has to be a hill somewhere that outfielders have to run up to catch the ball.

2 - On the field seating.

3 - Random disco balls.

4 - Mustache bargain nights. Women with them get in free.

5 - A fan shot out of a cannon when the O's hit a homer.

6 - a big mirror at the end of the warehouse so we can see the tower.

7 - Peter Angelos dunk booth nights.

8 - Uniforms with collars.

9 - Steel spikes night

10 - Hot bucket of hot tar on top of right field wall that dumps on opposing players trying to field ball - like the big one you see in water parks.

Archived