One change you'd make to...***gasp***... the great Camden Yards.

Todd-O

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bring back the ivy, or do something productive with all that space in left center.

Make it in play. Remove the CF wall. It'd be about 470 to CF with a 30' wall. Triples and ISTPHRs all over the place. Although... with Adam Jones and his range signed through 2018 that might not be a great idea. I can see him crusing back on a long drive to center, blowin' bubbles, then realizing "dude, I still have about 120 feet until I get to the wall!"

I'd like them to remove the padding from the brick wall along the first and third base lines. It need to be either all brick or all padding. The padding on top of brick looks dumb.

That's great, until we have a Ted Williams incident and somebody breaks a bone running into a brick wall.

Raise the height of the outfield fences. I agree that the rubber track leads to too many automatic doubles, but the solution should be to raise the fences to 15-20 feet high. Then the bounces off the track would hit high off the wall and the play of the game would proceed as normal. Raising the fences would also make most of those long line drives to left into doubles and triples, rather than the cheap HRs they are now. Another beef I have wrt low fences is that they allow fans to effect the play of the game when the fielders are reaching to catch long fly balls at the wall. One Jeffrey Maier has been quite enough, thank you.

But there are fans directly behind 75% of the outfield walls. Raise the walls, and you lose many rows of seats. Unless maybe you're trying to recreate that 1987 Metrodome kind of vibe, with hockey plexiglass. Or an LA Coliseum-style massive mesh screen. Neither of those options are a good bet to fit into the park's retro aesthetic.

Also, my solution to the Bromo/Ugly Hotel problem: Install a giant LED display wall on the face of the hotel, and have it display the skyline from before the hotel was there. Essentially you're making the hotel transparent.

I'll second (third, fourth) some earlier suggestions:

- Bye-bye Hilton

- Bye-bye Dempsey's sign on warehouse

- Improve angle of seats in LF corner

- Replace rubber track with a real one

And some additional thoughts:

- Put Natty Boh at every beer stand. The hunting, especially in the upper deck, is ridiculous.

- Paint the seats orange.

Ernie Tyler's 3,557 was the greatest streak I'd ever seen... Sorry Cal.

With all due respect, sitting behind home plate handing baseballs to umpires is not exactly an occupation with a high risk of injury.

I'm 55 years old and have never taken a sick day, ever, in 30 years on the job. Big deal, I sit behind a desk most of the day.

I'll second (third, fourth) some earlier suggestions:

- Bye-bye Hilton

- Bye-bye Dempsey's sign on warehouse

- Improve angle of seats in LF corner

- Replace rubber track with a real one

And some additional thoughts:

- Put Natty Boh at every beer stand. The hunting, especially in the upper deck, is ridiculous.

- Paint the seats orange.

The Hilton isn't going anywhere. The Orioles have no control over what happens around the stadium.

I believe it grows and then gets so powerful that it strangles itself, so they have to cut it periodically (at least that's what I've heard).
I've heard the same. They have problems with it killing itself.

I remember reading an article in the Sun about this last year - some kind of bacteria attacked the ivy and the grounds crew had to take it out.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/gardening/2011/03/camden_yards_ivy_covered_walls.html

I echo people on 1) the rubberized warning track, 2) the seats that make you turn, and 3) the dimensions (I'd make left field and the power alley longer, this might necessitate moving the bullpens slightly, but I'm not sure.

Someone else here mentioned a crab patio, or some such thing. I'm not sure about that, but the one thing I don't like about the park now IS the huge grass area in CF. It's wasted space. The O's could build down from the bar over top of that grass and create another deck or standing room only area. Heck, they could even put seats there, but I'm not sure they're really needed at this point.

I echo people on 1) the rubberized warning track, 2) the seats that make you turn, and 3) the dimensions (I'd make left field and the power alley longer, this might necessitate moving the bullpens slightly, but I'm not sure.

Someone else here mentioned a crab patio, or some such thing. I'm not sure about that, but the one thing I don't like about the park now IS the huge grass area in CF. It's wasted space. The O's could build down from the bar over top of that grass and create another deck or standing room only area. Heck, they could even put seats there, but I'm not sure they're really needed at this point.

That'd block the "hitters eye" though. Probably too tricky or else they would have figured something out for out there by now.

Archived