Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

Posted today from a website call Draftrunners.com so take it FWIW

I keep hearing us linked to Hamilton and it we can get him for around 5/125 I think it will be a good contract for us based in what others have received in FA. However I am very reserved since all of our internal beat writers keep saying that its not going to happen. There will be some mystery team like the tigers that jump in....like whit sox outbidding everyone

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I keep hearing us linked to Hamilton and it we can get him for around 5/125 I think it will be a good contract for us based in what others have received in FA. However I am very reserved since all of our internal beat writers keep saying that its not going to happen. There will be some mystery team like the tigers that jump in....like whit sox outbidding everyone
Our beat writers are saying that because that's what they are being told. Why do you suppose they are being told that ? If we were in on JH would it be in our best interests to make that known to the world?

The only good thing is, it seem's even the team's that can spend, won't give Hamilton the years. If i'm DD, I jump in and say here's my offer, you have 24 hours to accept, or we have to move on.

I'd offer him something front loaded like..5 years at 28,28,25,25,14. That's 5/120 mil. I think that's a fair deal, and we're paying up front for more likely production.

No offense DH, pulling up a 2 day old post before I've read further... but teams don't like to front load. OWNERS and CFOs don't like to front load. I can think of at least 30 teams whom that is true of. ;)

If we magically sign Hamilton for three or four years, that probably means next year Chris Davis is our first baseman, Reimold and Betemit shares duties as a DH. Reimold still can operate as a left fielder on some night while Hamilton DH'd.

Our problem is that we love to add complete and solid player but we do not have pieces. We like Butler but M's can afford to offer Paxton. The best way to add impact bat right now is free agency. Swisher is another great guy. I know, he was beyond pathetic against us, but his bat is pretty impact all season long. I prefer to take a risk with Hamilton/ Swisher at three or four years than to trade Gausman/ Bundy for good but not great player in Butler's mold.

I wonder why there isn't more talk about Swisher, even JUST on this board. I know watching games he seems like a [richard] when opposing us, but all the Yankees are like that, to every team. They have a swagger.

Swisher is a durable outfielder, switch-hitter, who has 6 of 8 years in the league with an .800-plus OPS. Has played plenty of 1B too so he's an option there too. Cot's is murky but @ $5 mill per 2007-2011. Can't find 2012. 32 this coming year. He would provide us a SOLID LFer (HAS played mostly right...) and give Buck all the flexibility he ever dreamed of for LF-1B-DH. Even RH-LH splits being a SH.

Just read that the Yankees' qualifying offer to Swisher was $13.3 mill. Still, I'd pay some more than that for two, maybe three years for this production:

Yankees right fielder Nick Swisher closed out the 2012 season with a .272 batting average, 75 runs, 25 long balls, 93 RBIs and a pair of stolen bases.

That's eight consecutive seasons of at least 21 homers for Swisher. In that time, he's averaged 149 games per season, though he's never breached the 100-RBI barrier. The soon-to-be 32-year-old's strong numbers away from Yankee Stadium (.261/.359/.482 with 13 of his 24 taters) should prove that he's not just a product of his home park as he enters free agency. Given that trend, it's safe to expect another 20-homer season out of Swisher in 2013. The only question is what uniform he'll be wearing when it happens.

He would cost us a first round pick. ;)

Just read that the Yankees' qualifying offer to Swisher was $13.3 mill. Still, I'd pay some more than that for two, maybe three years for this production:

He would cost us a first round pick. ;)

Reynolds and McLouth combined would cost less and produce more.

Not sure that's true, but even if it was it would require 2 roster spots instead of just one...
Reynolds plus Mclouth would come to 11 M max IMO. More likely less than say 9.5 M. Between them they would have little trouble combining for 25 HR and 90 RBI. Last year they combined for 30 HR and 87 RBI even though McLouth only had 55 GP. If they both have career average years they would likely combine for 51 HR and 157 RBI. Given the fact that they both play plus defense at their positions, I'd say they are well worth more than Swisher, who would likely cost you 15 M per for at least 3 years.

Bowden's take: five years, $115 million

"Analysis: His history of injuries, addiction and lapses on the field this year will prevent him from getting the type of contract length that players such as Joey Votto and Prince Fielder received. Four years would be the most appropriate length, but someone will offer him five with a club option. In terms of AAV, I think he will land just north of Votto and south of Fielder

Okay and I know its Bowden ...But if you can get Hamilton for 5 years $115 Million ($23 Million Per) would you do it? Do you think the Orioles will?

Okay and I know its Bowden ...But if you can get Hamilton for 5 years $115 Million ($23 Million Per) would you do it? Do you think the Orioles will?

Bowden is usually right around where free agents get paid, but to answer the question 5 years guarenteed? No. Three years and two option years based on games played or plate appearences? Yes.

Yes! The Orioles will sign Hamilton if the numbers are in the $110 million range. DD said a DH is on his list and Billy Butler is the guy. I read on a Seattle web site yesterday they are making a major attempt to trade for Butler. Will DD make the best offer?

David Wright, headed into his age 30 season is rumored to have an 7 year $119-120 million range deal offered from NY per Ken Rosenthal.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/27/the-offer-to-david-wright-seven-years-and-between-125-150-million/

Let us note that Wright is 2 years younger than Hamilton, has a rock solid health record except for 2010, no drug history, although OPS about .26 lower for his career. Wright is also coming off a year where he produced 6.7 WAR to Hamilton's 3.4.

Pretty reasonable deal IMO.

David Wright, headed into his age 30 season is rumored to have an 7 year $119-120 million range deal offered from NY per Ken Rosenthal.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/27/the-offer-to-david-wright-seven-years-and-between-125-150-million/

Let us note that Wright is 2 years younger than Hamilton, has a rock solid health record except for 2010, no drug history, although OPS about .26 lower for his career. Wright is also coming off a year where he produced 6.7 WAR to Hamilton's 3.4.

Pretty reasonable deal IMO.

Actually they are talking about adding 7 years to his one-year option so in that sense, it is 7 years heading into his age 31 season, with at least a token discount for being a non-free agent.

Archived