Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

He sounds like a great guy and all, and maybe he was still recovering last year....But I saw him in person in Frederick during an appearance where his stats looked good. He wasn't hitting 90, and they were making very loud outs.

My best case guess for the future based on what he's shown is maybe Tommy Hunter lite.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He sounds like a great guy and all, and maybe he was still recovering last year....But I saw him in person in Frederick during an appearance where his stats looked good. He wasn't hitting 90, and they were making very loud outs.

My best case guess for the future based on what he's shown is maybe Tommy Hunter lite.

My best guess is a guy that never makes the majors.

I'm pulling hard for this young man. Seems like a good kid. Here's hoping his back half struggles and drop in velo is simply arm fatigue after shoulder surgery. Here's to hoping he's one of the few that can come back from shoulder surgery.

• 1 month later...

From Steve M. Of MASN...

Note on Hobgood: The Orioles 2009 first-round draft pick, right-hander Matt Hobgood, will pitch out of the bullpen during the 2014 minor league season. Hobgood underwent shoulder surgery in April of 2012 and missed all of that season. He returned last year, going 9-4 with an ERA of 4.32 over 93 2/3 innings between Single-A Delmarva and Single-A Frederick.

"The quality of his pitches was much better out of the bullpen," O's director of player development Brian Graham said tonight.

Hobgood's fastball velocity returned during his healthy 2013 season and he touched the mid 90s at times. As a bullpen pitcher he may even have a chance to start the 2014 season with Double-A Bowie. I'll have more on this Monday.

From Steve M. Of MASN...

Note on Hobgood: The Orioles 2009 first-round draft pick, right-hander Matt Hobgood, will pitch out of the bullpen during the 2014 minor league season. Hobgood underwent shoulder surgery in April of 2012 and missed all of that season. He returned last year, going 9-4 with an ERA of 4.32 over 93 2/3 innings between Single-A Delmarva and Single-A Frederick.

"The quality of his pitches was much better out of the bullpen," O's director of player development Brian Graham said tonight.

Hobgood's fastball velocity returned during his healthy 2013 season and he touched the mid 90s at times. As a bullpen pitcher he may even have a chance to start the 2014 season with Double-A Bowie. I'll have more on this Monday.

Probably for the best.

His ONLY reason for this consideration is the investment in him. Liam Hendriks has more current upside.

If his stuff got worse the longer he was out there last year, the year after surgery; then perhaps this year his stamina will be better.

Now, if the only reason we are making him a reliever is the lack of time under team control, or because his stuff just flat out isn't good enough to be a starter, then I can understand that line of thinking.

If his stuff got worse the longer he was out there last year' date=' the year after surgery; then perhaps this year his stamina will be better.

Now, if the only reason we are making him a reliever is the lack of time under team control, or because his stuff just flat out isn't good enough to be a starter, then I can understand that line of thinking.[/quote']

Lack of interest if he can not make a MLB impact next season.

Melewski updated his Hobood piece: http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2014/02/pen-power-after-solid-2013-matt-hobgood-to-pitch-out-of-bullpen-again-this-season.html

The most interesting thing here is that the upper brass took the minor league recommendation to keep him as a reliever. I like the thought process. Let's let him have some success and feel good about himself before he throw him out there to start games. We kept him healthy last year as a reliever so let's see if it works again.

Obviously, it's a big year for Matt. We will get a really good idea of what his arm is capable of by the end of the year. Time will tell.

Was there ever hope for Matt Hobgood? (half-kidding)

In all seriousness, hoping he makes Bowie out of Spring and has a nice year. He might be something worthwhile after all in the bullpen if that fastball velocity creeps into the mid 90's more consistently

Melewski updated his Hobood piece: http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2014/02/pen-power-after-solid-2013-matt-hobgood-to-pitch-out-of-bullpen-again-this-season.html

The most interesting thing here is that the upper brass took the minor league recommendation to keep him as a reliever. I like the thought process. Let's let him have some success and feel good about himself before he throw him out there to start games. We kept him healthy last year as a reliever so let's see if it works again.

Obviously, it's a big year for Matt. We will get a really good idea of what his arm is capable of by the end of the year. Time will tell.

This makes sense. I hope he catches fire.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest on Matt Hobgood

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/xian4">@xian4</a> Pitched in Frederick gm Monday - 2 IP, 2H, 3R, 0ER, 1BB, 2K.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">March 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived