Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

Can anyone please explain to me what the Orioles did to "destroy" Bundy's arm?

I guess you can make a case for Gausman being rushed to the majors and all the demotions and role changes, but Bundy?

Is it possible to handle a pitcher more gently than the O's used Bundy?

I was always in favor of a hermetically sealed bubble. And no throwing of anything spherical until past the age 25 injury nexus.

I think you could construct an argument that Bundy's handling was so risk-averse that that was worse than any overuse. How do you develop and build up arm strength when you're facing overmatched low-A hitters on a 50(?) pitch limit?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bundy had a devastating cutter in High School that he was comfortable throwing and as soon as he reported to camp after the draft Peterson told him he didn't want him to throw it anymore and changed his delivery. Of course soon after he was shut down and had TJ surgery. When he came back Peterson was told by the front office to lay off him and to let Bundy be Bundy. This is one of MANY examples of what goes on down on the farm. Of course any pitcher runs the risk of arm problems but ask any pitcher that has had to deal with Peterson (whether the A's, Mets or O's) and ask them what their experience was like.

Bundy had a devastating cutter in High School that he was comfortable throwing and as soon as he reported to camp after the draft Peterson told him he didn't want him to throw it anymore and changed his delivery. Of course soon after he was shut down and had TJ surgery. When he came back Peterson was told by the front office to lay off him and to let Bundy be Bundy. This is one of MANY examples of what goes on down on the farm. Of course any pitcher runs the risk of arm problems but ask any pitcher that has had to deal with Peterson (whether the A's, Mets or O's) and ask them what their experience was like.

How does not throwing his cutter "destroy" his arm?

If you want to claim alterations to his delivery you are going to have to provide some proof.

Most folks think the overuse he saw in HS was at fault.

BTW it is not uncommon at all to take a pitch away from a young pitcher to force him to develop his other pitches, in Bundy's case they wanted him to refine his change up.

I have to admit as a guy who was once quite impressed with Rick Peterson my opinion has changed over the last few years. I've never agreed with denying a pitch to someone who throws it well and I've heard all the explanations. To me, the best thing Peterson did when he came on board was implement biomechanical analysis of the entire staff and the work he did with Tillman.

I have to admit as a guy who was once quite impressed with Rick Peterson my opinion has changed over the last few years. I've never agreed with denying a pitch to someone who throws it well and I've heard all the explanations.

To me, the best thing Peterson did when he came on board was implement biomechanical analysis of the entire staff and the work he with Tillman.

I don't agree with not letting them throw whatever works in the majors.

In the minors is another story.

You give Bundy his cutter and there is practically no need for him ever to throw a change-up his first full year in the minors. He carved up the minors w/out the pitch for goodness sake.

So, in short, taking it away as a development tool is A-OK with me.

You give Bundy his cutter and there is practically no need for him ever to throw a change-up his first full year in the minors. He carved up the minors w/out the pitch for goodness sake.

I get it. I would just say it doesn't have to be totally restricted, you make sure he retains a feel for the pitch.

Nothing you are saying here is true. But I will defend your right to make things up.

I have to admit as a guy who was once quite impressed with Rick Peterson my opinion has changed over the last few years. I've never agreed with denying a pitch to someone who throws it well and I've heard all the explanations. To me, the best thing Peterson did when he came on board was implement biomechanical analysis of the entire staff and the work he did with Tillman.

I like the strings myself. They throw the bullpens to the red strings, at the very bottom of the strike zone. Chris Lee has been attributed to Peterson as well. I like Rick Peterson.

I like the strings myself. They throw the bullpens to the red strings, at the very bottom of the strike zone. Chris Lee has been attributed to Peterson as well. I like Rick Peterson.

The strings routine for pitchers is phenomenal, I use it myself.

Counterpoint: You don't promote him until he shows adequate proficiency with particular pitches. That's what the Rays do.

Archived