Orioles add Independent League Pitchers L Mahon & C Johnson.

Roll Tide

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No they aren't. That contract isn't happening.

Actually your wrong !

Ortiz signed a two-year, $26 million contract with the Red Sox on Monday which will pay him a $1 million signing bonus, $14 million in 2013 and $11 million in 2014. According to Edes, his salary for 2014 can escalate to $13 million-$15 million depending on the number of games he misses because of the Achilles injury that caused him to miss most of the second half of the 2012 season.

Open mouth insert foot as usual.

And note they mention the foot injury .... The Orioles/Brewers/Mariners could easily add a clause that has to do with his off field issues.

Actually your wrong !

Open mouth insert foot as usual.

Congratulations you found one player who signed a 2 year deal that pays him more in the first year. Reyes, Pujols, Fielder, Wilson, Sabathia, I can find more if you want. All of their deals are backloaded. You aren't signing a top free agent to a 5 year front loaded contract. Don't insult my intelligence and compare your offer to Hamilton to a 2 yera deal that Ortiz signed.

Congratulations you found one player who signed a 2 year deal that pays him more in the first year. Reyes, Pujols, Fielder, Wilson, Sabathia, I can find more if you want. All of their deals are backloaded. You aren't signing a top free agent to a 5 year front loaded contract. Don't insult my intelligence and compare your offer to Hamilton to a 2 yera deal that Ortiz signed.

Why would a player or agent for that matter care if a deal is front loaded as opposed to back loaded.... I said those types of contracts are starting to happen. You said they weren't. The names you mentioned mean and have nothing to do with the statement that I will say again. "They are starting to happen" Hamilton is a unique case and could be a candidate for this type of contract because of his age/off field history.

Why would a player or agent for that matter care if a deal is front loaded as opposed to back loaded.... I said those types of contracts are starting to happen. You said they weren't. The names you mentioned mean and have nothing to do with the statement that I will say again. "They are starting to happen" Hamilton is a unique case and could be a candidate for this type of contract because of his age/off field history.

Who has signed a 3-5 year deal that was front loaded? You saying that they are starting to happen means there should be multiple ones out there. Give me names...

I'm glad I have so many mouth pieces here :rolleyes:

Im happy with the pitching as it is pretty much intact. The Bullpen should be set going into spring training. I'd like a TOR ...But I'm not expecting both and would be okay with getting Saunders or a similar arm. Would have been nice if we were in on Johnson or Buerle.

In a perfect world here is what I'd like them to do

1) Get Hamilton at 5 years $110 YR1 $27 YR2 $27 YR3 $25 Yr4 $18 Yr 5 $13 (These types of contracts are starting to happen)

2) resign Saunders

3) Trade for Butler for Britton/Matusz, Arrieta/Johnson, Schoop, and Hoes/Avery

4) Resign McLouth if it can be done at 4th OF money. Or go with the player we got for Andino.

That would mean we would not bring back Reynolds or Thome.

And I'm realistic enough to know you may not be able to get Butler & Hamilton. I'd like to see the organization actually do something other than bargain hunting.

In his age 27-31 seasons, Hamilton was worth $19 M/year according to Fangraphs.

You're advocating for paying him $22 M/year in his age 32-36 seasons.

So that's where I disagree with you. There's absolutely no way he'll be worth that contract.

I agree with you on Billy Butler though. He would be great here. Hosmer is a pretty poor defender at first base as well, so I wonder whether they'd like Reynolds in that deal.

Who has signed a 3-5 year deal that was front loaded? You saying that they are starting to happen means there should be multiple ones out there. Give me names...

Whatever dude ...you cant even admit you're wrong. I said starting to happen...Here's the definition www.thefreedictionary.com/start . To have a beginning; commence in case you missed the day in grade school it was taught.

Ortiz is the perfect example of a player that type of contract fits. He's older but still producing at a pretty high level. The Red Sox are concerned about his health mainly...so they are protected if he misses games. A contract similar would be great for Hamilton .... If he will agree to a 5 year deal at $100 million ...Who cares the breakdown ..he's still getting the $100 Million. His agent is still getting his 5%.

Whatever dude ...you cant even admit you're wrong. I said starting to happen...Here's the definition www.thefreedictionary.com/start . To have a beginning; commence in case you missed the day in grade school it was taught.

Ortiz is the perfect example of a player that type of contract fits. He's older but still producing at a pretty high level. The Red Sox are concerned about his health mainly...so they are protected if he misses games. A contract similar would be great for Hamilton .... If he will agree to a 5 year deal at $100 million ...Who cares the breakdown ..he's still getting the $100 Million. His agent is still getting his 5%.

I understand what starting to happen. You pulling up a two year contract that a 35 year old veteran signed is not going to prove to me that top free agents are "starting to" sign front loaded contracts for 5 years. Because NONE have.

In his age 27-31 seasons, Hamilton was worth $19 M/year according to Fangraphs.

You're advocating for paying him $22 M/year in his age 32-36 seasons.

So that's where I disagree with you. There's absolutely no way he'll be worth that contract.

I agree with you on Billy Butler though. He would be great here. Hosmer is a pretty poor defender at first base as well, so I wonder whether they'd like Reynolds in that deal.

You have to overpay in free agency its just the nature of the beast. The same way players are often underpaid in their early years. Unless he has a drug relapse there's no reason to believe Hamilton can be producing at a high level with his bat. He could be moved to DH in three years even under my scenario to protect him from injury.

I understand what starting to happen. You pulling up a two year contract that a 35 year old veteran signed is not going to prove to me that top free agents are "starting to" sign front loaded contracts for 5 years. Because NONE have.

OK we will agree to disagree ...You said those contracts dont happen. I showed you a current example of one that did. Your not happy with that example because it proves you wrong. Then you add a 3-5 year stipulation to void the example. As I said Hamilton is a perfect example of a guy this type of contract will work for. Older player with past substance abuse problems.

Smaller free agents:

Jake Westbrook

Paul Konerko

Aubrey Huff

Carl Pavano

All backloaded contracts

Again ...Your just being a jerk ... I said front loaded and now you come up with a list of back loaded. why dont you add Bonilla also. What in gods name does that have to do with front loaded contracts starting to happen????

You have to overpay in free agency its just the nature of the beast. The same way players are often underpaid in their early years. Unless he has a drug relapse there's no reason to believe Hamilton can be producing at a high level with his bat. He could be moved to DH in three years even under my scenario to protect him from injury.

That's wasting money. I'm against wasting money.

Archived