Reynolds: "I would assume that I'll probably be gone"

ChaosLex

I don't think you're giving Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: his proper respect. Joe Mahoney :rolleyes:has not had the opportunity nor the AB in the ML to warrant such short sightedness on yours or anyone elses part. Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: was recently mentioned in one of those publications as our future 1B. Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: I'm sure agrees with that assesment.

That's well beyond the limit of his name being mentioned all year let alone in one post.

Good luck to you Joe Mahoney. ;)

Mahoney's career OPS in the minors is .761 and he has only 63 Homers in 2295 at bats (or 1 for every 36 abs). Mahoney will never be more than a AAAA / fringe MLB player.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think you're giving Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: his proper respect. Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: has not had the opportunity nor the AB in the ML to warrant such short sightedness on yours or anyone elses part. Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: was recently mentioned in one of those publications as our future 1B. Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: I'm sure agrees with that assesment.

That's well beyond the limit of his name being mentioned all year let alone in one post.

Good luck to you Joe Mahoney. ;)

Wow, I thought it was pretty clear I was joking there John.
I knew you were .... Just spitting out reasons that I think Mahoney is a never will be ;)

**** you guys.

Sincerely,

Joe Mahoney

I have not been reading each post on here like I normally do so please disregard the following if it's already been written. The following teams are interested in Reynolds; Boston, Washington, Seattle, Pittsburgh and possibly the Yankees if Chavez leaves. He hits well in Boston so that should not come as a surprise and they have a lot of money to spend.

Not sure why we never offered him a 3/25 deal just to get it done. Even if we wanted to deal him later, that's a very tradeable contract. There will always be a team out there willing to pay $10M for 35+ HRs.

He's hardly an automatic 35+ homers. Let's see what he gets on the open market. I think you'll see he doesn't get 3/$25 mm.

Whoever signs him shoud do a thorough eye examination on him as part of his physical. As I have stated previously there were many games where he swung and missed at fastballs over the plate and miss them by 6 inches. Not sharp breaking curve balls. Even the Tv crew commented about it. I don't know if he wears contacts or not but they probably need an adjustment. I like him as a player and person but can't see the team spending $9 million plus a year for him. If he doesn't return after shopping the market I hope he ends up back in the NL.

He's hardly an automatic 35+ homers. Let's see what he gets on the open market. I think you'll see he doesn't get 3/$25 mm.

Maybe, maybe not. I bet you didn't think Jonny Gomes was going to get a 2/10 deal. I just think teams tend to overpay for power hitters. Either way, 3/25 isn't a terrible deal for the O's. If you structure it as a 7/8/12, you have two very team-friemdly, affordable years and one that could be good or bad two years from now depending on how he's playing.

Maybe, maybe not. I bet you didn't think Jonny Gomes was going to get a 2/10 deal. I just think teams tend to overpay for power hitters. Either way, 3/25 isn't a terrible deal for the O's. If you structure it as a 7/8/12, you have two very team-friemdly, affordable years and one that could be good or bad two years from now depending on how he's playing.

I do not think Boston is currently a well run franchise.

I do not think Boston is currently a well run franchise.

No, they're not. They just have deep pockets and are in desperation mode. But a 2/10 contract to Gomes is FAR worse than a 3/25 to Reynolds, though neither will cripple a franchise.

In a certain respect, it makes me think that DD has something much better up his sleeve than Reynolds, and that's an exciting possibility. Butler, Hosmer, or Youk would be upgrades over Reynolds. Even if Butler pushes Davis to 1b, the lineup is better.

No, they're not. They just have deep pockets and are in desperation mode. But a 2/10 contract to Gomes is FAR worse than a 3/25 to Reynolds, though neither will cripple a franchise.

Well, I don't know about that. In rWAR Gomes has been slightly more valuable than Reynolds over the past three years. You can argue that Reynolds, going forward as a first basemen, might be better than his normal half a win a year. But that's not a given - the metrics don't like his defense at first much, and the bar is higher on offense.

You could argue that Gomes set the market for defensively-challenged, low-WAR corner players at $5M a year. That's in the neighborhood of what Reynolds should get.

Well, I don't know about that. In rWAR Gomes has been slightly more valuable than Reynolds over the past three years. You can argue that Reynolds, going forward as a first basemen, might be better than his normal half a win a year. But that's not a given - the metrics don't like his defense at first much, and the bar is higher on offense.

You could argue that Gomes set the market for defensively-challenged, low-WAR corner players at $5M a year. That's in the neighborhood of what Reynolds should get.

Red Sox throw another wrench into the market by signing Napoli to a 3/39M deal to play 1b primarily. I'd assume that means we won't have to worry about them signing Reynolds, but what do you think that does to influence Reynolds' market value?

Red Sox throw another wrench into the market by signing Napoli to a 3/39M deal to play 1b primarily. I'd assume that means we won't have to worry about them signing Reynolds, but what do you think that does to influence Reynolds' market value?

Over the last three years Napoli has been worth about 8 wins, Reynolds about half of one win. What's 1/16th of 39... I think we someone can get Reynolds for $2.5M! :)

Archived