Reynolds: "I would assume that I'll probably be gone"

ChaosLex

You are correct, it is an either/or process. However, the O's cannot offer less than 80% of his $7.5 mm 2012 salary ($6 mm).

Ok thanks Frobby. Then you cant meet in the middle somewhere, if your bottom line is under theirs. Its just ashame that the O's didnt seem willing to even negogiate with Mark. Maybe they have talked since, but the Market is out of hand now. DD seems to have misjudged the market and the trade value of some of our own.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok thanks Frobby. Then you cant meet in the middle somewhere, if your bottom line is under theirs. Its just ashame that the O's didnt seem willing to even negogiate with Mark. Maybe they have talked since, but the Market is out of hand now. DD seems to have misjudged the market and the trade value of some of our own.

Buck seems to still think Mark will be back.

Buck seems to still think Mark will be back.

I think Mark will sign with a team before the O's figure out what they want to do. I keep thinking of landing spots for him, and the Brewers are the team that I keep going back to. I think Reynolds will get a 3 year deal in the 27M range.

If im not mistaken, isnt an arb. hearing an either or process? They rule for the team or the player, correct? If the O's are only will to offer 4 or 5 in arb then most likely Reynolds would have won. However, according to Mark, the O's never contacted his people. Seems if true, they werent even willing to negogiate with Reynolds. Its possible they just didnt want Reynolds back. I just really thought all along that Reynolds was the best option. Ive seen nothing so far that makes me think otherwise...yet.

There was a minimum the Orioles could have offered via arbitration. That minimum was $6 million. It is possible that (like Fangraphs) the Orioles valued his production at under $6 million. Even if they valued it at $6 million it wouldn't make sense to offer arbitration because salaries are typically settled between the players requested salary and the offered salary. If the Orioles decided he was worth $6 million or less, there was no reason to contact his people, because it would make more sense for Reynolds to see if he could get more on the open market.

If Reynolds really believes in himself, he will take a one-year deal to re-establish himself as a home run hitter and then hit the market again next year after his year 29 season. If he can play a better than average first base all season and hit 35 home runs, he will be worth a lot more than he is right now. Last year, he hit the lowest number of home runs than in any year since his rookie season. Is he in decline? Will he bounce back? We shall see, but I question how much teams will pay for the chance to find out.

This is not the same as "I hope he shoves the O's face in it". And I think you know that.

And? Any team that see's Steve Pearce as a possible solution to 1B in 2013, deserves what they get at that point. DD up to this point, has misjudged the value of our pitchers. Replacing Mark Reynolds isnt going to be as easy as they thought. I was fine with them letting Mark go, if they were sure a better option could be obtained. Now its down to "Steve Pearce is a viable option". Just the way I feel now.

And? Any team that see's Steve Pearce as a possible solution to 1B in 2013, deserves what they get at that point. DD up to this point, has misjudged the value of our pitchers. Replacing Mark Reynolds isnt going to be as easy as they thought. I was fine with them letting Mark go, if they were sure a better option could be obtained. Now its down to "Steve Pearce is a viable option". Just the way I feel now.

If Steve Pearce is the starting first baseman come April 4th I will be pissed. Prior to that, I don't buy it. If Steve Pearce or another bargain bin player ends up equaling Reynolds' (1 WAR-ish) contribution in 2012 I will be less pissed but still frustrated if the money saved on Reynolds was not used to upgrade another position.

Hmmm... that sounds like conditional love to me.

You gotta recognize posturing when it's this obvious. Even without any moves at all this offseason, Pearce would just be a half of a DH platoon. He'd play a Nick Johnson role at best.

If Steve Pearce is the starting first baseman come April 4th I will be pissed. Prior to that, I don't buy it. If Steve Pearce or another bargain bin player ends up equaling Reynolds' (1 WAR-ish) contribution in 2012 I will be less pissed but still frustrated if the money saved on Reynolds was not used to upgrade another position.

Yeah, but right now I just cant see where that savings from Reynolds will be put to use to upgrade. Pitching? It seems Saunders is at the top of their list. LF? McLouth is the likely choice there. That leaves 1B and DH. I dont see a 1B or DH available, dangling the players that have been mentioned. I just see an Alfonso Soriano type move coming. Adding that to McLouth and Saunders just isnt enough improvement to come close to last years record. Stranger things have happened I guess.

Hmmm... that sounds like conditional love to me.

You gotta recognize posturing when it's this obvious. Even without any moves at all this offseason, Pearce would just be a half of a DH platoon. He'd play a Nick Johnson role at best.

No, its called laying in the bed you made.

Steve Pearce as half of a DH platoon? He should be no more then depth at Norfolk. I dont know about you, but I sure as heck dont want to go through another Nick Johnson type scenerio.

I hope you werent implying that im a fair weather fan.

Yeah, but right now I just cant see where that savings from Reynolds will be put to use to upgrade. Pitching? It seems Saunders is at the top of their list. LF? McLouth is the likely choice there. That leaves 1B and DH. I dont see a 1B or DH available, dangling the players that have been mentioned. I just see an Alfonso Soriano type move coming. Adding that to McLouth and Saunders just isnt enough improvement to come close to last years record. Stranger things have happened I guess.

Alfonso Soriano would likely be an upgrade on Mark Reynolds and would definitely cost more. It is slightly less than 50/50 he is better with the bat and he plays a more valuable position. If the Orioles were to add Soriano and pay about a third of his salary with the Cubs paying the rest, I could get behind it.

Do you not see Soriano as an upgrade over Reynolds?

No, its called laying in the bed you made.

Steve Pearce as half of a DH platoon? He should be no more then depth at Norfolk. I dont know about you, but I sure as heck dont want to go through another Nick Johnson type scenerio.

I hope you werent implying that im a fair weather fan.

I agree. But think of it like this: if they sign just one more player, any player, then he gets bumped off the OD roster. Be it Nate McLouth or Josh Hamilton. That would make the bench Reimold, Betemit, Teagarden, and Casilla.

Alfonso Soriano would likely be an upgrade on Mark Reynolds and would definitely cost more. It is slightly less than 50/50 he is better with the bat and he plays a more valuable position. If the Orioles were to add Soriano and pay about a third of his salary with the Cubs paying the rest, I could get behind it.

Do you not see Soriano as an upgrade over Reynolds?

As long as he's solely a DH, then maybe. Im not sure if he's an overall improvement over Reynolds or not. I could probably be ok with Soriano. Is he a better bet in LF then Davis? If he could play adequate LF, Id be on board if Davis was at DH, and a short term fix like Youkilis was also added, to sure up 1B.

I agree. But think of it like this: if they sign just one more player, any player, then he gets bumped off the OD roster. Be it Nate McLouth or Josh Hamilton. That would make the bench Reimold, Betemit, Teagarden, and Casilla.

Yeah. I can see Danny Valenzia getting some looks at 1B too. Id take that over Pearce, but even that thought is a little numbing.

Archived