Reynolds: "I would assume that I'll probably be gone"

ChaosLex

As long as he's solely a DH, then maybe. Im not sure if he's an overall improvement over Reynolds or not. I could probably be ok with Soriano. Is he a better bet in LF then Davis? If he could play adequate LF, Id be on board if Davis was at DH, and a short term fix like Youkilis was also added, to sure up 1B.

Yeah, Soriano is definitely a better bet than Davis in left. He is probably average defensively out there, the metrics show him slightly above average but he is old so will likely decline. It would be shocking if Davis was average defensive, I don't know of any precedent for a player moving from first base to left field and being average. If it were at all likely Davis could play an average left field, he would have been out there years ago. That said, he did make a couple decent plays there last season.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah. I can see Danny Valenzia getting some looks at 1B too. Id take that over Pearce, but even that thought is a little numbing.

Neither will be on the OD roster barring injuries if McLouth is brought back. Casilla, Reimold, Teagarden, and Betemit would be the bench.

Some of Duquette's minor leaguers turned into Steve Tolleson and Miguel Gonzalez, while others like Matt Antonelli and Dontrelle Willis faded into obscurity. I see Valencia being the latter, but he hits lefties well and Duquette clearly sees some potential in him. Everyone in Norfolk has a shot to be a call up if they perform. It's on him.

Yeah, but right now I just cant see where that savings from Reynolds will be put to use to upgrade. Pitching? It seems Saunders is at the top of their list. LF? McLouth is the likely choice there. That leaves 1B and DH. I dont see a 1B or DH available, dangling the players that have been mentioned. I just see an Alfonso Soriano type move coming. Adding that to McLouth and Saunders just isnt enough improvement to come close to last years record. Stranger things have happened I guess.

Why do continue to fall into the trap that the only guys the O's are considering are a handful of names the press has batted about, mainly because they're recent Orioles? Of all people Duquette seems like the type who's turning over every rock to find solutions, be they straightforward like Saunders or unconventional like Wei-Yin Chen.

Its just ashame that the O's didnt seem willing to even negogiate with Mark. Maybe they have talked since, but the Market is out of hand now. DD seems to have misjudged the market and the trade value of some of our own.
Buck seems to still think Mark will be back.
I think Mark will sign with a team before the O's figure out what they want to do. I keep thinking of landing spots for him, and the Brewers are the team that I keep going back to. I think Reynolds will get a 3 year deal in the 27M range.

I would say that the odds that Reynolds will re-sign with the Orioles are slim. I don't think anyone will pay Reynolds 3/$27 mm, and I wouldn't have paid that much if I were the O's. But, I would have had some communication with his agent before the non-tender deadline to find out how much Reynolds was looking for on a one-year or two-year deal, and if the number was too high, I would have told the agent that we were going to non-tender Reynolds but would like to keep talking once Reynolds had tested the market (or, I would have tendered him a contract). I think the approach of having no communication until an hour or two before the non-tender deadline probably left a pretty sour taste in Reynolds' mouth and that even if the O's match the best offer out there, Reynolds might reject it just to reciprocate for how he was treated.

I would say that the odds that Reynolds will re-sign with the Orioles are slim. I don't think anyone will pay Reynolds 3/$27 mm, and I wouldn't have paid that much if I were the O's. But, I would have had some communication with his agent before the non-tender deadline to find out how much Reynolds was looking for on a one-year or two-year deal, and if the number was too high, I would have told the agent that we were going to non-tender Reynolds but would like to keep talking once Reynolds had tested the market (or, I would have tendered him a contract). I think the approach of having no communication until an hour or two before the non-tender deadline probably left a pretty sour taste in Reynolds' mouth and that even if the O's match the best offer out there, Reynolds might reject it just to reciprocate for how he was treated.

I think Reynolds and his agent probably understand that baseball is a business. If the Orioles believed that Reynolds wasn't worth more than 6-7 million then there was no point in offering it to him before the non-tender deadline because Reynolds would be better served finding out whether he could get more on the open market. There is no reason to waste his time by offering him the minimum they could offer in arbitration or less prior to the deadline.

Archived