Reynolds: "I would assume that I'll probably be gone"

ChaosLex

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

Mark reynolds has nice market. Cubs, nyy, cle, miami, sea, balt, tb, plus

I've said before I thought we should keep him, but I would give DD the offseason to see what happens.

Something tells me I am gonna be pissed come Opening Day that Mark is not on this team.

Sorry, but this is a pretty stupid and unsophisticated argument in my book. First of all, you don't pay a guy just on how many homers he hits. Ty Wigginton hit 22 homers for us in 2010 (at a salary of $3.5 mm) and we dumped him, and he landed on another team for $3.5 mm. Second, Napoli is not comparable to Reynolds. He catches 60-70 games a year, and catchers who can hit get paid a lot of money. Fangraphs says Napoli has been worth $45 mm the last three years, so a 3/$39 mm contract for the next three isn't that surprising. Reynolds has been worth $13.7 mm in that span.

If someone pays Mark Reynolds $10 mm/yr, then I will eat some crow here, but I doubt that's going to happen. We will know soon enough how the market values him.

Well they also mentioned that he plays first base well, and is liked in the clubhouse by teammates and coaches. They never mentioned his very respectable .335 OBP either. They were on TV talking off the cuff they didn't have a written out script like people can do here with research and complicated salary formulas and comparisons. Sometimes you just have to use the brain God gave you to make the right decision, instead of a computer.

I know that doesn't fit in the fangraphs/war/rWar/UZR formula or anything, but not many contracts do unless they are first ones, not second or later ones.

Well they also mentioned that he plays first base well, and is liked in the clubhouse by teammates and coaches. They never mentioned his very respectable .335 OBP either. They were on TV talking off the cuff they didn't have a written out script like people can do here with research and complicated salary formulas and comparisons. Sometimes you just have to use the brain God gave you to make the right decision, instead of a computer.

I know that doesn't fit in the fangraphs/war/rWar/UZR formula or anything, but not many contracts do unless they are first ones, not second or later ones.

I am 53 years old. I am not a sabermetrician. I do, however, think these newfangled computer thingamajigs are helpful in assembling a team. Earl would have used them.

Let me be clear - I'm not a slave to numbers. And I would have liked to see the O's tender Reynolds a contract for all the reasons you gave. But the potential to hit 30 homers by itself is not a ticket to earn $10 mm, especially coming off a 23 homer season.

I don't understand the attitude of being an O's fan and hoping that the decisions they make turn out to be incorrect. There seems to be a disconnect there. I would rather my team do well and I be wrong than my team do poorly and I get to gloat about being smarter than them. This is not how I get enjoyment out of my relationship with sports.

So I cant be a fan of a certain player, and hope he does well even if hes not on ny team anymore? I didnt say I hope he mashes the O's every time he came to bat against them. I have no reason to hope Mark fails. Good guy and teammate that seemed to really want to win in Baltimore. He was a victim of a cheap owner (And I dont care he was only worth 5 but wanted 7).

So I cant be a fan of a certain player, and hope he does well even if hes not on ny team anymore? I didnt say I hope he mashes the O's every time he came to bat against them. I have no reason to hope Mark fails. Good guy and teammate that seemed to really want to win in Baltimore. He was a victim of a cheap owner (And I dont care he was only worth 5 but wanted 7).

He wanted 12 to 14 ;) And he is worth what someone will pay him.

Did that actually happen with Manny in Boston?

If not, then DD is just spewing the company line here in Baltimore. Since he has said that he doesnt bepieve spending big is the way to go. Plus, the owner has to be willing to put up the money. Its ashame DD doesnt appear to have the backing here.

He wanted 12 to 14 ;) And he is worth what someone will pay him.

If im not mistaken, isnt an arb. hearing an either or process? They rule for the team or the player, correct? If the O's are only will to offer 4 or 5 in arb then most likely Reynolds would have won. However, according to Mark, the O's never contacted his people. Seems if true, they werent even willing to negogiate with Reynolds. Its possible they just didnt want Reynolds back. I just really thought all along that Reynolds was the best option. Ive seen nothing so far that makes me think otherwise...yet.

I, for one, did not want to see Reynolds back...I thought the FO was thinking that they could better themselves at first base when they non tendered him and I was all aboard on that decision. Now, I'm more convinced that the club just didn't want to pay him what they thought he might get on the market and I'm also convinced they are now looking for a bargain basement replacement. Maybe they already have him in Steve Pearce. It wouldn't shock me if they add Carlos Pena or Casey Kotchman.

If im not mistaken, isnt an arb. hearing an either or process? They rule for the team or the player, correct? If the O's are only will to offer 4 or 5 in arb then most likely Reynolds would have won. However, according to Mark, the O's never contacted his people. Seems if true, they werent even willing to negogiate with Reynolds. Its possible they just didnt want Reynolds back. I just really thought all along that Reynolds was the best option. Ive seen nothing so far that makes me think otherwise...yet.

You are correct, it is an either/or process. However, the O's cannot offer less than 80% of his $7.5 mm 2012 salary ($6 mm).

Archived