Reynolds: "I would assume that I'll probably be gone"

ChaosLex

With Reynolds' exit, will Orioles pursue big-name free agents?

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/blog/orioles-talk/reynolds-exit-will-orioles-pursue-big-name-free-agents

Markakis will make $15 million in 2013, Roberts $10 million, Jones $8.5 million in the first year of a six-year extension and J.J. Hardy $7 million.

Jason Hammel, who made $4.75 million is likely to see more than a modest increase in his take. Add Wei-Yin Chen ($3.57 mil.) and Tsuyoshi Wada ($4.4 mil.), and that could add $15 million more to the payroll.

With about $55 million set aside for seven players and nice raises for Jim Johnson, Matt Wieters, Darren O?Day and Chris coming along, Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette was looking to cut corners.

The Orioles will cut corners when they can. Using Davis at first base and populating their bench with low-priced players such as Yamaico Navarro, Steve Pearce, Trayvon Robinson, Ryan Flaherty, Danny Valencia and Taylor Teagarden, will keep costs down.

If a higher-profile free agent’s market softens, Duquette will pounce. It’s unlikely that Reynolds’ will soften enough to interest the Orioles.

This also means that the chances for a return of Nate McLouth and Joe Saunders are probably slim, and the only way they’ll come back is if they remain unsigned into January.

I would say Mclouth is still a pretty realistic possibility. I doubt the O's will be going multiple years on Saunders and I could see Saunders getting a two year deal more than I can see Mclouth. It sounds like they are sticking within the constraints of a tight budget so maybe that means moving somebody (i.e. Jim Johnson) to make some room for Swisher (or somebody else). Not to mention the trade market.

Reynolds is gone imo. I think he'll get more on the market than what DD will want to pay.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Working their way through some IF fielding problems last season, the Orioles suddenly discovered an almost magical combination that carried them into the playoffs. And now, they've decided to trash it and go in some other direction.....and all because of a extra couple million of dollars which are meaningless in the bigger picture. The logic of letting both Mark Reynolds and Joe Mahoney leave the organization escapes me. Reynolds glove work at 1B, and eventually his bat, won or preserved victories in more than a few games. And in Joe Mahoney, the Orioles had an able 1B backup with a good glove and significant power potential. Barring a major trade, that leaves only Chris "Iron Glove" Davis, or some combination of scrap-heap left-over has-beens to man 1B. IMO, it seems to be a step backwards.

Working their way through some IF fielding problems last season, the Orioles suddenly discovered an almost magical combination that carried them into the playoffs. And now, they've decided to trash it and go in some other direction.....and all because of a extra couple million of dollars which are meaningless in the bigger picture. The logic of letting both Mark Reynolds and Joe Mahoney leave the organization escapes me. Reynolds glove work at 1B, and eventually his bat, won or preserved victories in more than a few games. And in Joe Mahoney, the Orioles had an able 1B backup with a good glove and significant power potential. Barring a major trade, that leaves only Chris "Iron Glove" Davis, or some combination of scrap-heap left-over has-beens to man 1B. IMO, it seems to be a step backwards.

I mean, in the absence of more moves, you're right, but the winter meetings haven't even started yet and most personnel additions tend to happen after those meetings. If you write the same post in February, I might be concerned.

Reynolds defense was crucial to this team making the playoffs. There aren't any real upgrade free agents. Not bringing him and McClouth back just looks cheap. I'd be happy if this team just resigned them and Saunders without doing anything else. Obviously it's early in the offseason, but so far I'm not happy

Reynolds' defense was crucial to this team making the playoffs. There aren't any real upgrade free agents. Not bringing him and McClouth back just looks cheap. I'd be happy if this team just resigned them and Saunders without doing anything else. Obviously it's early in the off-season' date=' but so far I'm not happy.[/quote']

Hi. :)

The logic of letting both Mark Reynolds and Joe Mahoney leave the organization escapes me. Reynolds glove work at 1B, and eventually his bat, won or preserved victories in more than a few games. And in Joe Mahoney, the Orioles had an able 1B backup with a good glove and significant power potential. Barring a major trade, that leaves only Chris "Iron Glove" Davis, or some combination of scrap-heap left-over has-beens to man 1B. IMO, it seems to be a step backwards.

I'm certainly not losing any sleep over Joe Mahoney, a career .761 minor league hitter who will be 26 on opening day. I will be shocked if he has a substantial major league career.

I agree that his unorthodox way of diving with his toe on the bag made some plays look spectacular when they could have been made looking less difficult through a conventional stretch. However, I'd still say he played an above average 1B. Have a look at tinamodotti's highlights video, none of which shows "toe" plays.

My best summary of his play would be above average receiving, poor lateral range, and poor (but improving) footwork. All considered, slightly below average but perfectly adequate. With extra reps he could be regularly average or better. The range issues will never improve. He has a slow first step and slow reaction time. It's been an issue everywhere he's played for his career. I think the footwork and mechanics around the bag could improve some with practice.

I have no problems with Reynolds the player. I think, if his bat bounces back to career levels, he can be an averagish starting first baseman. But I don't think his production will be terribly hard to replace and I think that allocating 1/8 or 2/14 for that production would not have been a particularly wise use of resources. Not awful, but not efficient. So I'm very comfortable with letting him go.

While I was impressed with some of the plays Mark made at 1B, he isn't all of the sudden a gold glove 1B. To me (without even looking at metrics), Reynolds looks like an average defensive 1B with an incredible ability to keep his toe on the bag...

Where does he play next year? My money is on the Brewers...

While I was impressed with some of the plays Mark made at 1B, he isn't all of the sudden a gold glove 1B. To me (without even looking at metrics), Reynolds looks like an average defensive 1B with an incredible ability to keep his toe on the bag...

Where does he play next year? My money is on the Brewers...

For how much money and how many years.

Frobby already touched on it, but mentioning Joe Mahoney is pretty comical.

I think Duquette has a plan. I'll wait until it's completed before I comment on an unfinished plan.

We keep reading posts saying DD has a plan. What if that plan is to keep the payroll where it is at, per PA? Only so much DD can do with no money. Except fill out the organization with filler types to replace the filler types they get rid of.

Frobby already touched on it, but mentioning Joe Mahoney is pretty comical.

I think Duquette has a plan. I'll wait until it's completed before I comment on an unfinished plan.

I don't think you're giving Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: his proper respect. Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: has not had the opportunity nor the AB in the ML to warrant such short sightedness on yours or anyone elses part. Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: was recently mentioned in one of those publications as our future 1B. Joe Mahoney :rolleyes: I'm sure agrees with that assesment.

That's well beyond the limit of his name being mentioned all year let alone in one post.

Good luck to you Joe Mahoney. ;)

Archived